The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

My throttle cable just snapped without warning. Currently awaiting the AA ..... Wouldn't mind so much but it smells like wild garlic and shit where I'm waiting. 

Such is life ? 

*Edit* while my dad was in the way to pick me up ... Some tw@ in a large 4x4 overtook him and drove into his 9 month old ioniq.... then immediately sped off.IMG_20200906_222650.thumb.jpg.597fb4c84db85aa14ec703e78f66b1ca.jpgIMG_20200906_222646.thumb.jpg.7fa712671ef741e03437fb4d27e9493e.jpgIMG_20200906_222655.thumb.jpg.0096db1954f2a985d2c2bcc3c6656685.jpg

Now we have a broken bike, a broken car and a police force as useful as a cock flavour lollipop

So, the prize I won yesterday.

IMG_20200907_180740763.thumb.jpg.f56553997d49017df89639c561b9fdf5.jpg

IMG_20200907_180820573.thumb.jpg.d95546be93ac1bc3551a28516049972f.jpg

IMG_20200907_180851645.thumb.jpg.808bc5a1fdc9802d8967aa979453e41b.jpg

IMG_20200907_180911008.thumb.jpg.01ef26c1b6cf5e178ca9e932e911e1b3.jpg

IMG_20200907_181023866.thumb.jpg.68df61d936c3eb34b45bcdef19a2ec01.jpg

IMG_20200907_181048693.thumb.jpg.8c093aa67d341ec267986a84842a22e9.jpg

IMG_20200907_180949905.thumb.jpg.8b2176493113bdb9347a01899b4955a4.jpg

IMG_20200907_180932077.thumb.jpg.1c4650b809fde9acd6475d4fb4721851.jpg

So. What is it?

It's a 1990 Cagiva Supercity 125. 

Same engine and gearbox as the Mito, in fact, this one has been slightly tickled and has a bigger carb than my Mito and some other bits to close up the squish band and raise compression. It goes very well indeed.

Just had a complete rebuild/restoration, the previous owner showed me a picture album documenting it all and says he'll pass a copy on to me.

Came with 2 original Cagiva keys and the original brembo brake lever attached, madness, on a 30 year old 2 stroke!

To say I'm happy with it is an understatement. I can't wait to put a few miles on it. Only done 60KM since rebuild so, a few more gentle* miles and I'll be finding the redline and seeing how quick it'll go, my money is on about 90-95ish, I had a gentle ride when I got it back home so have half an idea.

That is lovely-I thought it was going to be the Raptor. I really miss my Mito and looking for one over here. Nothing like a small, highly tuned two stroke

My nephew has a Raptor (ex -Wuvvum) which despite being rebuilt meticulously and ridden with care, keeps breaking. This is my favourite photo of him with it the last time it shit itself.

IMG-20170401-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e8f1f2f195ebf7fceeef7d0fb6defc8a.jpg

That Car Jeeva is absolutely class, be impressed if you can reach 90mph on it.

Allegedly, the MBX125 is going to be ready on Saturday, it's having new swinging arm bushes (or something like that), and new throttle cable to go with the head stock bearings. Think I have the V5 for it somewhere, so assuming it'll go through an MOT without too much agro it should be on the road before too long. Not entirely convinced it'll actually happen soon, but fingers crossed.

The DVLA still haven't sent the log book for the DMW yet, tried ringing the DVLA to see if the can confirm they've received it and are actioning it actually being sent out. Rang probably 30 times, got through about every 6th or 7th attempt, pressed the number for the department required and then got the old 'nobody available to take your call' shit. Really don't want to ride it because although it's tax exempt, it's sods law I'll get pulled for failure to display.

Anyhow, not been out on this for a while, so took it to work today...   

Image may contain: motorcycle, outdoor and nature

Just love riding this, something about it makes it more fun.

Oh yeah, currently looking at transport costs to bring another wheezy old 2 stroke back from down south.

Went to Poland in the end, although I was tempted by Scotland and bought the recommended book. Spent some time riding around the Tatra mountains which were very nice. Unfortunately a lot of Polish back roads are shite, but some of the mountain riding was fantastic and also very quiet. Most enjoyable. Decent sit down meal of pierogi (dumplings) and a beer around £3.50, night in a hostel bed typically around £9, often with breakfast included. 8/10 would Eastern Europe again (subject to Brexit).

IMG_20200828_105428.thumb.jpg.79b60479a0d55d46594dd59518287093.jpg

IMG_20200903_065851.thumb.jpg.f9b84d22865d05de4de1c1b2431dcca3.jpg

IMG_20200831_123746.thumb.jpg.cf15d70f23b9e1581ccf193d2b1172da.jpg

Had a couple of days away round the north west tip of Scotland.. weather was shite so I high tailed it home before it got worse..the wind was Relentless and  motorhomes everywhere..I was going the wrong way so stopping in every passing place. Would be amazing if the weather was good and everyone else went away?

20200910_102558.jpg

20200909_165230.jpg

20200909_184731.jpg

I have actually ridden a C1 briefly as it happens, when I was about 18/19 (approx y2k) I went to the NEC motorbike show with a mate.

They had a try a ped stand where you could test the latest plastic on a slightly too small oval in the car park.

Sadly for the Bimmer I went on a Gilera runner 200cc 2 stroke just before so the performance was disappointing. But actually the C1 was pretty normal to ride, it looks like it should be top heavy but isn't really.

It's a WOULD from me, well bought.

10 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

I love the side curtains that look like they've been half inched off some poor old boy’s mobility scooter that he's parked outside Asda. Can you see enough through them to ride with them down or are they just to keep the interior dry when parked?

The previous owner had them custom made by a firm that make canopies for boats etc. Quite how much they flap about in use and, as you say, stop you from seeing anything in the mirrors is something I'm going to have to find out for myself. I can take them off if I wish, as they're just fitted to the body with press studs.

4 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Today I did ride out to Birkenhead and purchased this magnificent steed:

IMG_20200912_165837.jpg

About 18 yrs ago i borrowed a bnw c1 200cc scooter for 48 hrs to try oyt on my commute sittingbourne to london, i quite enjoyed it but styck with my Honda cb500s as the bmw was too expensive  for 200cc 

Would love 1 now to play  on.

Well bought, keep us updated on thoughts and living with it and maintenance  etc.

I'll never forget one of those BMW's pulling up at the pump next to me in the petrol station on the Highway, not far short of Tower Bridge in London. It was January and bloody cold. As the scooter stopped, a foot clad in a stiletto shoe came out of the apron. A rather striking woman then proceeded to fill it up. 

I couldnt think of anything to say to her except "its cold".

Incidentally, TTT in Sudbury, Suffolk have (or until very recently, had) a very similar looking Benelli scooter in stock, although I forget the price. First (and last) one I have ever seen.

Local ride out Sunday, met with some bikers for a peaceful demo ride down to the river. Swift ride into town followed, an Italian restaurant owner wanted a photo with some scooters outside. They didn't actually say 'no Chinese copies' though, so that's what I took.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, motorcycle and outdoor, text that says "Coyle Michael City Men 30A Yard"

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, motorcycle and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

Image may contain: people sitting and motorcycle

Would have taken the Lambretta, but it's still not fixed.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Local ride out Sunday, met with some bikers for a peaceful demo ride down to the river. Swift ride into town followed, an Italian restaurant owner wanted a photo with some scooters outside. They didn't actually say 'no Chinese copies' though, so that's what I took.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, motorcycle and outdoor, text that says "Coyle Michael City Men 30A Yard"

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, motorcycle and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, shoes and outdoor

Image may contain: people sitting and motorcycle

Would have taken the Lambretta, but it's still not fixed.

I've lost track. Which Lammy have you got, and what's wrong with it?

5 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I've lost track. Which Lammy have you got, and what's wrong with it?

There's a reason modern automatic scooters are becoming so popular.

lambretta.thumb.jpg.8030bf92ac75f444c6397e48c3b23d4d.jpg

Just had new carb (22mm Scootopia), re-bore, new piston etc etc. Pulls a lot better than it ever did (still running it in) but when warm it struggles to tick-over. On the move it's fine, but if holding the throttle steady at (an estimated) say 2,000 revs, it just fluctuates very wildly with clutch in or in neutral. My mate thinks it might be the small (idle?) jet that's blocked. It also once weirdly dumped petrol every where after the rebuild, then refused to start but hasn't done it since.

Good job I love riding it or it'd have been long gone by now.  

56 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

There's a reason modern automatic scooters are becoming so popular.

lambretta.thumb.jpg.8030bf92ac75f444c6397e48c3b23d4d.jpg

Just had new carb (22mm Scootopia), re-bore, new piston etc etc. Pulls a lot better than it ever did (still running it in) but when warm it struggles to tick-over. On the move it's fine, but if holding the throttle steady at (an estimated) say 2,000 revs, it just fluctuates very wildly with clutch in or in neutral. My mate thinks it might be the small (idle?) jet that's blocked. It also once weirdly dumped petrol every where after the rebuild, then refused to start but hasn't done it since.

Good job I love riding it or it'd have been long gone by now.  

Bugger. My old Imola kitted SX150 with electronic kit was always ultra reliable. I had to have the stator plate rewound at one point but had no issues apart from that. Luck of the draw I suppose?

Don't sell yours though. In theory, it's still better than money in the bank...

10 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Bugger. My old Imola kitted SX150 with electronic kit was always ultra reliable. I had to have the stator plate rewound at one point but had no issues apart from that. Luck of the draw I suppose?

Don't sell yours though. In theory, it's still better than money in the bank...

Thanks, it's had (amongst the above) a new GP lightened fly wheel, clutch, some sort of engine casing welding and more stuff as would like to keep it, and plan to do so. It's gone back in today, specifically went to work in the van so I could drop it off and pick the MBX up, but the latter wasn't ready so they're now both at the garage.

Got the Street Triple ITV'd (Spanish MOT) this evening.

Luckily one of the centres is just 10.minutes away. All they do is MOTs. Take you current ITV and Spanish "log book" to the office, pay your €23 fee, and wait your turn. I was the only one there, so i was waved straight on for the bike to be tested. 5 minutes later I had a new ITV, valid for two years.

Bit odd not chatting to the tester like I had done for years in the UK. I missed that.

Replacing the shock on my SV as its getting a bit bumpy and vague. Looks like the original is still fitted and the bolts were pretty unimpressed at trying to be undone.

Only 4 of them to do but they put up a real fight against my lidl impact gun. The final one holding the lever arrangement onto the frame out-lasted the impact gun and needed much additional leverage. All off now though, the bearings are all utterly fucked and will be replaced when the replacement damper arrives tomorrow. Not quite sure how I'll press the new bearings in yet, or get the last one out, but there is a threaded rod plan. Or its all off to a machine shop since I discovered a bench-press is £260...

Rust never fails to disappoint...

Also, WTAF, how comes the Erhandlersersserser (machine mart? screwfix?) impact socket set features multiple deep/regular sockets for several sizes but no 14mm socket at all? There is an 11 (never used in 15 years) but no 14...