The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Exchanged contracts on my house sale today, so should have the proceeds next week. So in preparation this afternoon I have been pursuing the bike section on Milanuncios.com to see what's about locally.

Mid 80's Suzuki GS850 popped up, part restored, been sat for 5 years, an eady fix. Had one of these for a couple of years, did massive mileage and it never, ever went wrong. Then I saw the photos...

20200821_171806.jpg.7f8634dc3e1a3e4064115730caef3170.jpg

There's restoration and there's restoration. I needed a swift drop of eye bleach after seeing that rear end. Why? Just why?

That's sodding horrible. If you end up with it though, there's a bloke near here who says he has an 850 in bits and might sell it. No promises, but don't mind asking him again if I see him.

31 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

That's sodding horrible. If you end up with it though, there's a bloke near here who says he has an 850 in bits and might sell it. No promises, but don't mind asking him again if I see him.

I don't think that will be making an appearance in my shed.

Might be onto a Suzuki T500, but bloke cant decide if he wants to sell or not. Been told he has ben dithering over selling it for about 5 years. No photos or other details as yet, other than its  T500 for sale. Or not.

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

We crossed the Grossglockner Pass in Austria last May. As we were going down from the summit we were stopped by a bloke in Yamaha clothing waving a flag

As we waited, a Niken came around a hairpin bend and stopped in a carpark. You could here something scraping the tarmac for about 50% of the bend. Then another. And another. And another. About 10 in all, everyone scraping pegs (or something) as they came round. The road opened as as we went past all we saw were "thumbs up" from the riders, all smiling and laughing.

I'm not brave enough though...Hope you thoroughly enjoy it.

As soon as i finished work yesterday [and mindful the forecast for today and tomorrow is crap] i took it up to Malvern and the Forest of Dean. It's bloody immense. Places where, even on my ZX10R, id have been backing off or neutral, i was going full on. The way it tracks through a bend is amazing; the front end grip and feel is unreal. I was breaking the back end loose.

Coming up through the Wye Valley, which i know as well as anyone who lives near it would, i was absolutely getting a lollop on, never been through the complex of bends between Tintern and Chepstow as quick. Crappy road surfaces mean nothing, other than the rear tyre might come a little lose as you proceed with far more throttle than your normally would.

I love the mix of cod-avant garde design and quality engineering too.

Love it.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, pilninggas said:

As soon as i finished work yesterday [and mindful the forecast for today and tomorrow is crap] i took it up to Malvern and the Forest of Dean. It's bloody immense. Places where, even on my ZX10R, id have been backing off or neutral, i was going full on. The way it tracks through a bend is amazing; the front end grip and feel is unreal. I was breaking the back end loose.

Coming up through the Wye Valley, which i know as well as anyone who lives near it would, i was absolutely getting a lollop on, never been through the complex of bends between Tintern and Chepstow as quick. Crappy road surfaces mean nothing, other than the rear tyre might come a little lose as you proceed with far more throttle than your normally would.

I love the mix of cod-avant garde design and quality engineering too.

Love it.

Keep us updated, getting very intrigued by these.  I've still not seen one on the road.

4am starts are so much better when the commute is on two wheels. Zero traffic, quicker, easier.

Having fixed the SV yesterday a dry morning was the perfect opportunity to ride to work. Fingers crossed it’s dry when I finish...

I cannot stress enough this point .... If you have a Yamaha YBR 3D9 125cc, or any bike based on the 3D9 frame. 

CHECK YOUR SPROCKET HUB! Make this part of normal maintenance schedule, because this happens ......IMG_20200828_145119.thumb.jpg.afb45593761e2781e5122f034f441368.jpgIMG_20200828_145129.thumb.jpg.06f6c9921d996dd293b2dcef3e4a7d3b.jpg

Luckily I got hold of a really good used one for £20 with bearing and seal. This is what they should look like.....received_322678745741538.thumb.jpeg.543898c9e4f2398ef2ac52aaef2c940c.jpeg

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

How about this? They're getting dearer now and £550 for an honest (if tatty) example like this isn't bad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Helix-scooter-1989/184422181920

Snazzy and all that, but not quite exciting* enough, sadly. This, on the other hand...

s-l1600.jpg

1048901412_VanVan.thumb.jpg.9d947e2fba84d0e1af61b9a865c37e9e.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RV-125-L6-VAN-VAN-at-Penrith-Motorcycles/114380310008

Just bought this puppy :) Picking it up Friday, cannot wait. With 173 miles covered it's virtually a brand new bike and in fact my journey home is going to more than double the current recorded mileage, I could have had it delivered but I have never had a vehicle delivered so far & I am not about to start, I love the first journey on or in any vehicle as you bond with it.

2110200289_Vanvancollection.thumb.png.fedeb593fc2386fe9a4c68fcb87003f4.png

Slightly daunting collection mission for a first time rider but hey any collection I do is going to be less epic than the Cedric one so it should be fine..... :)

2 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

1048901412_VanVan.thumb.jpg.9d947e2fba84d0e1af61b9a865c37e9e.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-RV-125-L6-VAN-VAN-at-Penrith-Motorcycles/114380310008

Just bought this puppy :) Picking it up Friday, cannot wait. With 173 miles covered it's virtually a brand new bike and in fact my journey home is going to more than double the current recorded mileage, I could have had it delivered but I have never had a vehicle delivered so far & I am not about to start, I love the first journey on or in any vehicle as you bond with it.

2110200289_Vanvancollection.thumb.png.fedeb593fc2386fe9a4c68fcb87003f4.png

Slightly daunting collection mission for a first time rider but hey any collection I do is going to be less epic than the Cedric one so it should be fine..... :)

Hmm yeah I reckon that would be nicer taking smaller roads and a couple of days. I did about 150 home on my LML as it's first mission and it was sooooo fun. 

Take double the amount of waterproofs and thermals that you reckon you need and allow loads of time for stops. With it being so new it's presumably going to cruise at about 55 or so? 

Calimoto and Scenic are 2 good bike apps for plotting nice curvy routes. 

22 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Hmm yeah I reckon that would be nicer taking smaller roads and a couple of days. I did about 150 home on my LML as it's first mission and it was sooooo fun. 

Take double the amount of waterproofs and thermals that you reckon you need and allow loads of time for stops. With it being so new it's presumably going to cruise at about 55 or so? 

Calimoto and Scenic are 2 good bike apps for plotting nice curvy routes. 

Thanks for the advice, I guess I could choose York as a halfway overnight stopping point and visit the National Railway Musuem on Saturday...…. I will think about it. I think even when fully run in about 55 is all it will be good for but that's fine as I can't use motorways on L plates anyway.

What time are you able to get to the dealer for pick up? If you can get on the road early then a long day with lots of  stops for food / drink / photos of your new pride and joy would be a nice adventure. Without the hassle of carrying a chain / finding a secure hotel car park.

They are lovely looking for a 125 much better in my eyes than a grom.

Edited by LostnotFound

What's your expected average speed, @Heidel_Kakao, circa 40mph do you think? With a break or two, would guess you're looking at 6-6.5 hours, which is quite some going. It can be a little tiring on lower powered bikes (sorry if that sounds patronising) and with running it in you'll probably end up going quite carefully. It'll probably be a good laugh and help you bond with the bike, but as said probably be quite tiring.  A night's break half way along as Faberge suggested sounds a good idea.

Yeah you have all convinced me to split it over two days ☺️, I have booked a night with secure parking in York (£36 so under my minge bag £50 max per night limit) which is not really half way but should be a leisurely first drive to get used to the bike. Then visit the NRM briefly first thing Saturday morning and probably make a detour to cross the Humber Bridge on the way home (that should be fine on L plates as it's an A road right?) as I only visited it once before many years ago.

@CavcraftI was thinking 50mph but 40mph is more realistic with roundabouts and fuel stops etc. No worries about sounding patronising as I pretty much am a complete noob when it comes to bikes, I managed to choose my first bike fairly easily but choosing my next one will be tough as there is almost too much choice! I won't be taking my "big" bike test till Summer next year at the earliest too.