The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

It is very American, just like the Goldwing and Honda Rune, its name is a bit of a giveaway, I imagine finding spares for them could be an issue if one was to drop it, although it looks like it has the built in crash sticky out bits (for the Americans :D )

The plastic bits aren't easy to come by, for sure, but as long as I avoid crashing I should be OK as they share a lot of mechanical bits with the Deauville.

On 7/16/2020 at 7:01 AM, martc said:

How did Honda get away with calling it a Dominator?

Norton didn't exist in 1988 (when the Honda was introduced) but someone would have owned the rights to the names associated with it, or did they?...

I find it difficult to believe that no-one at Honda was aware of the original Dominator, nor the owner of the name was ignorant of it's use by them. So was the name licenced to Honda? If so the owner was clearly not bothered that the Honda was  not a sportster like the original.

That was around the time the rotaries came out, wasn't it? Pretty certain I've seen a Commander on an 'E' plate, but even if not, they would've been in development.

Besides, the Norton name is one of those bankable ones that's always been in someone's hands: I can well imagine that licensing the name to Honda would've put a bob or two in the pot, so I hope that's what happened. Although in fairness, dragging Honda into court for it probably isn't the most sensible move for a small company.

After several weeks of thoroughly enjoyable riding, on a lovely bike, with more smiles per mile than half the cars I've owned, and a notable improvement in riding skills... I've come to an unexpected and painful conclusion.

My 125 is SO. F***ING. SLOW.

The earliest theory test slot I could find was mid-September, and I won't book my DAC until I know I've passed that, so I'll be lucky to get on a proper bike this year. FFS.

19 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

After several weeks of thoroughly enjoyable riding, on a lovely bike, with more smiles per mile than half the cars I've owned, and a notable improvement in riding skills... I've come to an unexpected and painful conclusion.

My 125 is SO. F***ING. SLOW.

The earliest theory test slot I could find was mid-September, and I won't book my DAC until I know I've passed that, so I'll be lucky to get on a proper bike this year. FFS.

Worth the wait though, and time spent on two wheels of any cc is always good. 

On the positive side, I'll be buying a bike in the middle of winter, when prices are lower ?

In all honesty, I'd love to keep the Chinese Thing for general commuting duties, and  have a proper bike for enjoyment. Unfortunately, I suspect I'll have to cash in the value of the 125 to get something halfway decent.

So I thought my rear tyre on the firestorm was borderline but kept forgetting to replace it, because lazy.

Went on a run with some mates on Friday.....coming into a small town thought the handling was suddenly a bit off so pulled into a petrol station......rear was 5psi and hissing from a handful of holes over the centre, and was worn to the wire in a couple of patches

I know it wasn't big nor clever to let it get to that state but it didn't look terrible before I left the house, just goes to show the difference between borderline and worn as f**k isn't as many miles as you'd think

One of the guys I was out with has a holiday home a few miles from where we pulled in, so I inflated the tyre to 45psi and we managed to make it up the road.

e0e95191dd79f972a1cd43e8b8cf363b.jpg

As luck would have it, matey has a few bikes, and had a BMW R1150R parked at the holiday house he wanted bringing back home. So I rode that halfway home, then we swapped and I rode the Honda Pan European he had been riding with us up to that point.

I was really blown away by the BMW. I've always overlooked them, never saw the appeal. But after a good mix of windy roads and motorway I get it. Even the telelever front end is nice when you get used to it. Yes it's not as quick as the firestorm, but it doesn't feel slow either, handles really well and you could sit on it all day. Indicator switches are stupid though.

The Pan European was like riding a car. It started to lash when I jumped on, but the bodywork and screen isolates you completely, and channels all the engine heat around your legs and body so it was nice and toasty. It was deceptively quick too, a few times I looked down at the Speedo and was doing 20mph more than I thought. Plenty of power and ridiculously smooth. I enjoyed riding it but I don't think it would be for me, low speed stuff gave me the fear about wrecking all that plastic, and putting it onto the side stand had me in a cold sweat - much of that down to not wanting to bend someone else's bike I guess.....

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have my CBT booked for Saturday so shall be able to post in this thread soon ?As my first car was a Suzuki I have decided my first bike should be too so I am going to get an RV125, please don't tell me if they are crap as I have set my heart on one and will not be dissuaded.

I have my CBT booked for Saturday so shall be able to post in this thread soon As my first car was a Suzuki I have decided my first bike should be too so I am going to get an RV125, please don't tell me if they are crap as I have set my heart on one and will not be dissuaded.
The van van is a fantastic bike. Proper quirky for a 125. Was looking for one for the wife before her CBR125 became an option

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

I have my CBT booked for Saturday so shall be able to post in this thread soon ?As my first car was a Suzuki I have decided my first bike should be too so I am going to get an RV125, please don't tell me if they are crap as I have set my heart on one and will not be dissuaded.

RV125? Are they the crap VanVans?

Only joking, they're a rare example of a Japanese manufacturer doing something quirky and should therefore be encouraged. Good luck with the test.

5 minutes ago, thatsmacar said:

That's a hell of a difference!

the old shock is relatively grot free, due to the previous and first owner fitting a good hugger, the lack of damping had become more and more intrusive over the last 2/3,000 (bike now at 42,000miles) and was very noticeable after using my ZX10R. Coming off of roundabouts onto rippled surfaces or rounding long bends at speed had become quite iffy.

14 minutes ago, pilninggas said:

the old shock is relatively grot free, due to the previous and first owner fitting a good hugger, the lack of damping had become more and more intrusive over the last 2/3,000 (bike now at 42,000miles) and was very noticeable after using my ZX10R. Coming off of roundabouts onto rippled surfaces or rounding long bends at speed had become quite iffy.

Brown trouser moments eh?

This seemed a bit of a laugh, so was collected a few weeks back. Head stock bearings had about 17 foot of play in them, so it went in for new ones and a look over. Garage have said it wants rear arm bearings (or bushes, or something) and a throttle cable, so they're going to sort that and hopefully it can get an MOT and I can whang it round. 

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

There's been quite a bit coming/going (mostly 2T stuff, obvs) but the Lambretta is still not fixed.

I had an MTX 125 until it was stolen.

I also had a Cagiva Mito 125, I loved that bike so much but sold it as I'd had some near misses and decided I wasn't sensible enough for it.

I missed it every day of my life and always promised myself another one, so I bought one last weekend. It's more of a project than I was planning on but I'm happy anyway.  Can't wait to get it sorted and ride it.