The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

This made me smile quite a few times. Didn't put in in the YouTube thread as I'm sure it would not be appreciated by those that don't ride bikes. 

So , a combination of  one man on his commutes through Central London streets, daft pedestrians, and a rather loud Husqvana.

https://youtu.be/PHg3HDg9z3Y

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

This made me smile quite a few times. Didn't put in in the YouTube thread as I'm sure it would not be appreciated by those that don't ride bikes. 

So , a combination of  one man on his commutes through Central London streets, daft pedestrians, and a rather loud Husqvana.

I just post tbh! Probably should think about it in advance ? 

In my own YouTube news we've got a second video up today if you want to watch ?

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

ive seen those type of videos before

airhorn or a massive bat needed spesh if you you do that in london

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

ive seen those type of videos before

airhorn or a massive bat needed spesh if you you do that in london

He rides in from West London into central London most days, either on his Nuda or his Grom. The last few videos he posted were a bit dull as his route has been empty. 

Well I took the Zephyr out for its first run of the year after getting it taxed.

Had a bit of a delayed start to the day because the rear brake light was stuck on, turned out it was the rear brake switch pull that was jammed. It's not the easiest thing to access but got there eventually.

Bike was running intermittently on 3 cylinders for about 2 or 3 miles then the carbs cleared.

Was a grand day for it!

IMG_20200601_151528_pano.jpg

A fella I know locally is the go to man for firestorms, he is fairly active in the firestorm clubs.

He also is an engineer, and does lightweight flywheels on an exchange basis.

2a3e3c677a42a44978372e35039fcb88.jpg

079efc7db5ec3373a82ba45e19083081.jpg

Today I rode into his garage, left him at a socially acceptable distance to swap them over, and rode home 1kg lighter.

1kg doesn't sound like much, but on a motorcycle flywheel that's a lot of rotational mass to lose.

It has transformed the bike. Hard to describe but it revs so much harder and is a lot more responsive. It feels like the bike Honda should have built.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Hi, In November I "passed" my CBT. Taking some advice from you guys I got a Chinesium bike in the style of a scrambler. Its called a WK Scrambler 125 and I am really pleased with it. 5 speed, great on fuel, can hit 70 but is happier at 65. Had no problems at all in 900 miles so far. Serviced it myself once already. Here's a pic.

IMG-20200419-WA0008.jpeg

50 minutes ago, warch said:

That's a fantastic looking bike. 

Thank you I get quite a few positive comments when I am out. I took the rack and fender off the rear because i prefer the look. I still have them and they just bolt on. I am going to get a hoop welded into the rear to finish off the back end. I have the under bar style mirrors on, I just had to take them off to get the bike through the side gate to where the pic is took!!! Apparently the engine is a cb125 clone? Not bad for £900!!!

Took the Ducati out today to ride to Brentwood to meet up with my mate to discuss some electrical work i need doing on my new place. 

Bit of a bugger to keep running, as full choke needed. Wouldn't tick over and cut out several times on route. 

Stopped for petrol and filled up, started ok but was a real pig misfiring and cutting out. Just about made it to the Boreham slip road.

My mate came to meet me with his tools (I rarely have any with me).

Took the air box top off, air filter in good condition,  and started it. Was spitting fuel from both carbs, misfiring with backfires heard too. Bollocks. Put the air box top back on.  Still misfiring and backfiring at higher revs. Bollocks again.

IMG-20200603-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.f1553cfffc07e961b819b2d866d1b8de.jpeg

So whilst deciding what to do, discussed with my mate all the jobs on my house that he could do, and arranged some dates for him to come out there.

When he left I decided to go home down the back lanes rather than the A12 (because of its cutting out and my safety). Within 50 yards I could tell it was back to normal. Pulled cleanly in all gears from 1000rpm with no hesitancy. When stopped a the first T junction, it ticked over perfectly. 

Got home, airbox top off, carb cleaner sprayed into carbs, started up as usual. Took it for a blast on the lanes and a bit of dual carriageway, and it's perfect.

TL:DR Because Ducati

4 hours ago, sofarsogood said:

Hi, In November I "passed" my CBT. Taking some advice from you guys I got a Chinesium bike in the style of a scrambler. Its called a WK Scrambler 125 and I am really pleased with it. 5 speed, great on fuel, can hit 70 but is happier at 65. Had no problems at all in 900 miles so far. Serviced it myself once already. Here's a pic.

IMG-20200419-WA0008.jpeg

I bought a couple of Chinese bikes just to test the waters.

The little Lexmoto ZSB more than surpassed my expectations, especially when it was a budget offering.

My own outlook is that if you are mechanically sympathetic, they should last a long time and prove reliable.

I never had any issues with rust or bits falling off just a headlamp blowing bulbs and one LED on the rear light went somewhat dimmer than the rest.

It was 3 years old by the time I sold it and it still looked like new but it was only generally taken out on sunny/fair weather days.

I took the Ducati out for a long run on Wednesday. Turned out to be just 30 miles due to it being a Ducati.

Planned to go out today, but the weather pit paid to that, as all my bike kit, except one non-waterproof jacket, is all packed up.

Maybe one day next week then......

18 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Nothing bad about it, you can go where you like, as far as you like, I did 200 miles last Sunday, it was great.

the next time i go for a run itll be 1000 miles in a coupla days - i dont go out just to go out anymore cos im old :D

didnt go out cos pussy (unsettled here)

went to local halfords instead on the bike - they got the bits and i looked at the filter box and wondered wtf it was sooo big - its only a panel filter

have to go back as the filter for the car they gave me is wrong

oh well - need groceries anyway

Slightly weird question - has anyone here gone for any length of time (several months plus) relying solely on one small bike for nearly all transport?

I ask because I'm seriously considering selling the car, buying a *cough* *spit* 125 and running it alone for the foreseeable. Partly because I've no idea when DAS courses will become widely available again, and partly because it will help me economise sufficiently to move out of my parents' house. I'm aware that long journeys will be off the cards, but is it realistic to rely on a (probably Chinese) beater to get me to work/shops/etc in all weathers, for an indefinite period?

I've always thought that 125s were a massive waste of time and money for anyone of my age, but seeing @sofarsogood's Scrambler has seriously tempted me.

They will get you everywhere you need to go and very cheaply.

A 125 or not much bigger is the one family vehicle in many parts of the world. 

The only thing I found on smaller bikes and/or L plates is that car drivers are more bellendy than when you are on a "big" bike eg unnecessary/close overtakes if you are doing a bit less than the speed limit, a lot like being a cyclist really.

11 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Slightly weird question - has anyone here gone for any length of time (several months plus) relying solely on one small bike for nearly all transport?

I ask because I'm seriously considering selling the car, buying a *cough* *spit* 125 and running it alone for the foreseeable. Partly because I've no idea when DAS courses will become widely available again, and partly because it will help me economise sufficiently to move out of my parents' house. I'm aware that long journeys will be off the cards, but is it realistic to rely on a (probably Chinese) beater to get me to work/shops/etc in all weathers, for an indefinite period?

I've always thought that 125s were a massive waste of time and money for anyone of my age, but seeing @sofarsogood's Scrambler has seriously tempted me.

I think @plasticvandan is probably well equipped to answer your year round biking 

Slightly weird question - has anyone here gone for any length of time (several months plus) relying solely on one small bike for nearly all transport? I ask because I'm seriously considering selling the car, buying a *cough* *spit* 125 and running it alone for the foreseeable. Partly because I've no idea when DAS courses will become widely available again, and partly because it will help me economise sufficiently to move out of my parents' house. I'm aware that long journeys will be off the cards, but is it realistic to rely on a (probably Chinese) beater to get me to work/shops/etc in all weathers, for an indefinite period?

I've always thought that 125s were a massive waste of time and money for anyone of my age, but seeing [mention=19522]sofarsogood[/mention]'s Scrambler has seriously tempted me.

I did 12 month commuting on a bigger bike when my financially ruinous e class shit itself. That was a fun winter.

I’d add prejudices aside that you may wish to avoid Chinese stuff and look at a less cool older 4 stroke commuter. It’ll probably just keep going as opposed to chinesium build to lowest cost models.

I’d buy a Honda from the late 90’s or 00’s if you can.

Also you’ll be spending a good few hundred (used) on gear as you’ll want to get to work etc dry. Don’t skimp in being warm and dry. It’s miserable being freezing riding 40-50 miles a day each way.