The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

So Sat Nav options... 

I am shocking with a sense of directions, what I need is a way to follow a route found elsewhere with back on track should I get carried away or miss a turning, to make better use of time I have to go for a ride and not just end up following signposts to places I know on dull roads.

I cba using a phone, it does my head in trying to use one in the car. All I want is to download a GPX I've found or created myself while day dreaming about riding and easily get it onto a device to then follow as required, I also want mapping software for getting directly to places ie not an etrex style unit.

Is there any reason not to get a car based one that will be new enough to have live traffic etc.. which would make it dual use for the car and stick it in a waterproof case rigged up somehow? Second hand bike ones that are 'reasonable' priced are several generations older than a cheaper car based one, and still require shelling out for mounting kits or leads.

26 minutes ago, hairnet said:

i have a garmin 340LM - bought new 3 years ago i think

updated the maps to 20 last summer

has a detour button when you dont look where ya going :D

dont have a mount or cable for it

let me find pics

How much were you thinking of for it?

In relation to those RST gloves, I have two pairs of RST gloves, I love my winter ones but the summer ones, despite being by far the comfiest of 20 odd pairs I tried on instore get uncomfortable on the bike. It's hard to describe but in a riding position after half an hour or so they put pressure and leave a mark on the top of the hand near the thumb where there is some extra covering on the outside.

i had blade ones which were ok (i have big hands)

was looking at tractec but they were a bit spendy (not interested in a stars for 120+)

saw pilot and they were more or less same as blade (they dont do them anymore)

they needed a cuff on them (i hate short gloves) and they were cheap

found some that were incl delivery (one place was cheap - pulled the trigger and it said free del - went to pay and price went up - WTF - clicked it and it said orders over........)

bat nav? dunno how much ya think??

:D

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

i had blade ones which were ok (i have big hands)

was looking at tractec but they were a bit spendy (not interested in a stars for 120+)

saw pilot and they were more or less same as blade (they dont do them anymore)

they needed a cuff on them (i hate short gloves) and they were cheap

found some that were incl delivery (one place was cheap - pulled the trigger and it said free del - went to pay and price went up - WTF - clicked it and it said orders over........)

bat nav? dunno how much ya think??

:D

They seem to vary wildly on Ebay there was a 340lm one that sold recently for £65 including some mounting hardware and postage, but then older models going for more than that. What would you be happy with? It's probably worth you keeping as a back up for that sort of price to be honest. 

What site were the gloves on? I had one that did that before, it's a cunts trick and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. If they aren't honest with their website pricing I imagine returns and other customer service could be 'interesting'.

bike stop

33 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

What would you be happy with? It's probably worth you keeping as a back up for that sort of price to be honest. 

What site were the gloves on?

ive 3 other car ones - i started off the way you were thinking buy a car one and do that but you still have to buy the proper wire unless you cobble a 12v into the bike and car ones would only last 2 ish hours until empty if they werent plugged in

pm'd

i dont usually buy stuff i need to try on but rst is usally good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-zumo-346LMT-S-4-3-Inch-Motorcycle-Navigator-with-Maps-of-Western-Europe/124185902686

i bought one of these at xmas - if this one goes under 200 quid buy that - 250 normally - i got one just under 200

wouldnt be sure about the chinese ones theyre cheap but i think you have to cock about getting the maps onto them

Ah ignore, what I said about not trusting them then! Bikestop's website is struggling because it's trying to take 10% off everything and on certain browsers that disappears. If you fancy the deal then drop them a message I'm sure they'll sort you out. They're my local shop and as well as a cracking range do a decent coffee and are sound blokes just not always up with the internet (look at their instagram videos for examples!).

Just replying to your PM.

Riding home from work on the 'busa the alarm bells began to ring when I noticed the gears were becoming harder to select.

As I got closer to home the clutch lever became somewhat slack - that'll be the fluid escaping then.

I managed to get on my driveway - there was not even enough fluid in the system for me to select neutral. My rest days? Repairing the slave cylinder.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Riding home from work on the 'busa the alarm bells began to ring when I noticed the gears were becoming harder to select.

As I got closer to home the clutch lever became somewhat slack - that'll be the fluid escaping then.

I managed to get on my driveway - there was not even enough fluid in the system for me to select neutral. My rest days? Repairing the slave cylinder.

My V-Strom 1000 did just that too, but slightly more a inconvenient as we were in Belgium when it did it. Suzuki clutch cylinders are a bit shit.

A mechanic mate told me to get an Oberon replacement, as he had fitted a few to Suzuki's and KTM's. Except they didn't make one for the V-Strom back then, so had to rebuild rather than bolt on. One had been fitted on my KTM RC-8R by its previous owner and it felt fine.

bike got a run out today after 51 days

to the driveway

started it and ran it while lubed chain (no didnt do it like you think)

need to go post office and get food (handily not that local and theyre across from each other)

might go for a spin - but may just settle for the 3 junctions on the motorway between here and there

Sat Nav- I use an old Nokia phone, with Sygic, has been brilliant- offline mapping worldwide, voice instructions bluetoothed through to my headset, can also be a dashcam for a few quid extra. Cleared out the rest of the phone and filled it with tunes. Music cuts off when sat nav needs to speak.. total cost, less than a fiver. 

I really need to get rid of my rough and ready 2003 SV650s. Not been MOTd for a fair while and I can't myself riding a bike again for a good while and I could do with the space.

Values seem all over the place for these though. Mine has been used to commute on through all weathers and has done ~55k so I doubt it's worth much. Has some suspension upgrades and cosmetic tweaks though.

Gonna drag it out of the shed and get some photos. Anyone interested in an easy project?

17 minutes ago, Youngteam said:

I really need to get rid of my rough and ready 2003 SV650s. Not been MOTd for a fair while and I can't myself riding a bike again for a good while and I could do with the space.

Values seem all over the place for these though. Mine has been used to commute on through all weathers and has done ~55k so I doubt it's worth much. Has some suspension upgrades and cosmetic tweaks though.

Gonna drag it out of the shed and get some photos. Anyone interested in an easy project?

I definitely am - I’m on the lookout for an SV. Where abouts are you?

18 minutes ago, 83C said:

I definitely am - I’m on the lookout for an SV. Where abouts are you?

I'm in Belper, near Derby. It's been sat for at least a year, probably longer. Started straight up off a jump pack though and sounds ok.

It's had a bit of a knock at idle with the clutch lever out for as long as can remember, goes away when you pull the lever a bit. I'm fairly sure it's the clutch basket rattling but it's not got any worse. 

It's safe to assume the battery is toast, although a my ctek is trying to revive it. Both calipers are seized but free enough to roll it, they need a rebuild at least once a year anyway if you ever ride it in any sort of rain.

It's got carbon end can which I've lost the baffle for so it's rather loud, rear hugger, double bubble screen and cartridge emulators in the front forks which were resprung for a rider of around 90kg which is what I was before becoming and enormous bloater. Also the usual tail tidy, led indicators, etc. Back tyre is a fairly new Continental, front is a more worn Dunlop. Pretty sure I have the matching front Continental somewhere.

Will bang some photos up shortly although I stupidly forgot to check the mileage before putting it all away again. Will be pretty much whatever it was at the last MOT though.

Edit: photos at https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y7k52Kmw78jn868o6

46 minutes ago, Youngteam said:

I'm also interested

25 minutes ago, thatsmacar said:

Nice bike.  Just the SV I was looking for in the colour I wanted.

Buggering bollocks!  I'm going to be very jealous of whoever gets that.

Message sent, fingers crossed. I'm after an SV to use as a track bike - specifically because I want something that is a good machine to learn on, not too expensive to fix if I do lob it into the gravel and easy to keep smart. Having never been on a track I'd rather take something I can learn on, develop and use in the novice category without looking like a massive bellend which is what I'd look like if I rocked up as a trackday novice on the ZZR...