The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

a millyard video popped up in my youtube and he mentioned barber and i had a look at some photos to see if id took photos of his bikes that were there

saw this also ❤️

IMG_20190916_151205.jpg

next plan is te papa in wellington and transport world in invercargill also burt munros while im there

Fellow motorbicyclists - has anyone got any experience of the current (Mk2?) version of the Triumph Street Twin?

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and the stars have aligned as I also have the Royal Ascent from SWMBO to buy a new bike. My shortlist is the Moto Guzzi V7 111 Special and the aforementioned Street Twin. I've had several Guzzis in the past and I'm well aware of their foibles, but I've no experience of any sort of Triumph ancient or modern.

Of the two the Triumph has the edge - I've studied both at the NEC, the quality of the design, fit and finish of the Triumph is second to none; the nearest Triumph dealer to me is 20 miles away (the Guzzi dealer is 70 miles away) and, in the current situation, I sort of feel I ought to support a British company (yes I know they're made in Thailand but Triumph is a totally UK owned company so more of me hard earned would surely get back into the UK economy).

So what about them? I'm particularly interested in thoughts about comfort (the Mk2 has an improved seat following complaints about the one on the Mk1), long term quality of the finish/reliability and economy (they have a stupidly small fuel tank). Which one would you have V7 or Street Twin?

Here's a couple of pictures, and thanks in advance...

image.jpeg.3ad6079bfa573449faa00ee38f83f4c1.jpegV7 III Special - Moto Guzzi

9 hours ago, hairnet said:

a millyard video popped up in my youtube and he mentioned barber and i had a look at some photos to see if id took photos of his bikes that were there

saw this also ❤️

IMG_20190916_151205.jpg

next plan is te papa in wellington and transport world in invercargill also burt munros while im there

When I was in NZ back in 1995 I visited the Britten Workshop at 21 Carlisle Street, Christchurch. They were prepping one of two bikes they had for a race meeting at Manfeild Park near Palmeston North the following week, and said if I was there to pop in and see them.

Needless to say, I went (it was the last week of my eight week trip and I was heading up to Auckland to fly home). The Britten stomped everything there and sounded fantastic flat out along the track, and standing next to it at tick over I could feel it in my chest.

John Britten's death was a big loss to the World, not just NZ, and his life story is fascinating.

Have loads of video footage of it at Manfeild, but really should get all the Hi-8 tapes transferred to DVD as not watched them for about 20 years.

I've been tidying my much used mz during this furloughed period,stripped the back end so I could properly sand and repaint the swingarm,frame etc,new mudguard as the old one was rotten etc.i bought anew brake hose from my supplier in Germany,got it all bled eventually and the damn thing leaks between the hose and the crimp grrrr anyone else had this? I've bit the bullet and ordered s goodridge hose now.

We needed something specific for the dog that we couldn't get with our normal shop. PetsAtHome had what we needed so I thought fuck it, essential journey and took the bike.

One of the most mundane yet utterly memorable runs. I may have stretched it out a tad because I couldn't help myself but didn't take the piss - what should have been 16 miles ended up being just shy of 30 by virtue of taking the back roads.

Observations

Everyone has forgotten how to drive. Far less traffic on the road but the standard of driving was scary across the board.

Huge amount of dirty looks. I even got someone shake their head! Granted I dropped the baffles out so it sounds like thunder.....but who are they to judge what my journey is for?

For the record I rode like a saint, no overtaking, well within the speed limits etc. Didn't want to end up in A&E or look like I was having fun....

I was on a high all day after that, but ever since I have been sad I don't have any more genuine reasons to take it out.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, martc said:

Fellow motorbicyclists - has anyone got any experience of the current (Mk2?) version of the Triumph Street Twin?

image.jpeg.3ad6079bfa573449faa00ee38f83f4c1.jpegV7 III Special - Moto Guzzi

I have a 2004 Bonneville. 

In 2006 i rode it from basingstoke to almost genova in italy in 1 day, 1400 kms in about 15 hrs including channel tunnel.

I think i am qualified to report that,

YES THE SEAT IS UNCOMFORTABLE. 

I did a great john wayne impression for a week.

I still have the bike and love it.

20200408_171758.thumb.jpg.dd8f65b61f81b2a7dedd91804aea35b9.jpg

20200408_171744.thumb.jpg.74e1cdd13cb318a707374991c06363ad.jpg

I also had to go to work today - to meet with the site manager to discuss reopening the school (when we have to) - I am in charge of H&S. I also found driving to be appalling, a nonce in a white van overtook me in a 30mph built-up limit on double white lines.

Also 2 cars with balding farts in, racing around Chepstow roundabout, like utter dickheads.

I got a few foul looks as i travelled into North Bristol from pedestrians, which is ironic as I seemed to be the only vehicle obeying any roads laws.

So if this lockdown gets eased at some point and people are allowed to  visit 'in small bubbles' do we think that A&E may just get full of people involved in traffic accidents? What with the twats thinking the roads are now racetracks, all of a sudden there could be more cars on the road, cars that possibly may not have been driven for a couple of months. Rusty drivers+ knuckledragger driver = a visit to A&E.

13 minutes ago, andyberg said:

So if this lockdown gets eased at some point and people are allowed to  visit 'in small bubbles' do we think that A&E may just get full of people involved in traffic accidents? What with the twats thinking the roads are now racetracks, all of a sudden there could be more cars on the road, cars that possibly may not have been driven for a couple of months. Rusty drivers+ knuckledragger driver = a visit to A&E.

I'm amazed the spike hasn't already happened to be honest, the dickheads were out in force on quads today, I've always found it amusing that quads seem to attract a certain clientele of twats when they have basically zero protection...but they don't have the road sense that most motorbike riders have.

Also, this might interest other NC700/750 riders (and anyone with crappy damper rod forks) I put some cartridge emulator valves (YSS gold valve clones) in my NC a couple of weeks ago (got them ages ago cheap off of ebay). The damping over uneven surfaces is a lot, lot better, the forks arent kicking back half as much (hydraulic lock basically). A nice cheap upgrade. Might have to replace the rear shock as that is now clearly weak on damping too (40k miles it probably needs it), just have to justify dropping £300 on a YSS/Hagon or similar.

My brother has to continue working, driving about 800 miles a week. He also has a company motorbike. Despite all the lovely weather we have had, he is sticking to using his car as

a) using the car over the bike as travelling his routes takes about the same time now in 4 wheels as on 2 as much less in the way of queues, and more importantly

b). the sheer number of reckless/careless/don't give a shit drivers on the road would make 2 wheels far riskier.

His brand new work bike has only 250 miles on it and is a month old. Probably will not add any more for another couple of months.

7 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

In 2006 i rode it from basingstoke to almost genova in italy in 1 day, 1400 kms in about 15 hrs including channel tunnel.

20200408_171758.thumb.jpg.dd8f65b61f81b2a7dedd91804aea35b9.jpg

20200408_171744.thumb.jpg.74e1cdd13cb318a707374991c06363ad.jpg

I have an Enfield Himalayan which has an uncomfortable seat. Well, it is after a couple of hours. I refuse to spend over £100 on a replacement seat that I have no idea if it is more comfortable or not.

So I use a 15mm thick gel pad (purchased from ebay for £6) cut to shape, with a sheepskin on top. Biggest single trip was 1100kms and 13 hours. Could walk like a man at the end of the day.

20191025_180457.thumb.jpg.753b61c86605604f42e4a59ae1769fdb.jpg

I do find some people are amused by a sheepskin for some reason. I have a few and the one on the Enfield is about 8 years old and has had my arse on it for around 80,000 miles on various bikes. Still waterproof.

Hello all,

Partner[mention=28846]themokrite[/mention] and I are starting a YouTube to fend off boredom, just about general bike shite. We have some bike YouTubers we like but we're wondering if there was anyone in particular you would recommend to get a bearing on what sort of content is fun to watch, what types of videos you click on, what series and YouTubers you come back to etc.

We've got some shite bikes to build and some other hopeful projects, all the tools and gear for filming, editing and fixing but not exactly sure where to kick off. I am learning myself and want to document that process to look back on, Ben (Mookie) has gear for Motovlogging and about 15 years worth of stories about it, so it's just finding a medium where we are both involved and it's fun.

Any feedback would be useful because we're going to do it anyway and don't want it to look like utter bollocks!

Edited because: canna spel

No tips I'm afraid, but do let us know the name of the channel when you get going. It would be great to have a bike channel, most of the ones I can find are American crap.
We will definitely let you know, because that's exactly why we want to start one! In the meantime we shall be watching Spicy110 on YT, he's not a bad one, and Portsmouth area

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Delivery is the key. Can't stand some of the "biker" sites (44Teeth grate mine) but like anything by Nathanthepostman as he does good, real life reviews. Also films some of his group rides, including his group ride across Australia on 110cc Postie bikes. Entertaining if a little short for me.

Doghouse Customs is another one that is easy to watch. One man in his shed fabricating bits for a series of Enfield Bobbers he builds,  plus a turbo'ed GSX1100 with much home fabricated parts. Like a small scale Project Binky. Also has a Ural he is going to do something with.

But I'd love to see someone messing around with shite bikes. Please hurry!

5 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Delivery is the key. Can't stand some of the "biker" sites (44Teeth grate mine) but like anything by Nathanthepostman as he does real life reviews, and his group ride across Australia on 110cc Postie bikes was entertaining I'd a little short. Doghouse Customs is another one that is easy to watch. One man in his shed fabricating bits for a series of Enfield Bobbers and a turbo'ed GSX1100 with much home fabricated parts. Like a small scale Project Binky.

But I'd love to see someone messing around with shite bikes. Please hurry!

Definitely working on delivery but assuming confidence will come with practice. Just trying to keep the "humour" in as of yet. We won't mention 44Teeth, not a fan, Nathanthepostman is already a favourite but taking a look at Doghouse just now and I see why you say it's Project Binky esque with the GSX project, started with a cuppa, which is a good sign!

Currently hypothesising a RCR style review of Ben's Lexmoto ISCA 125 that will never make it to film while we edit a proof of concept intro (with a title that will shock you!) and draw up some logo designs. You will be first to know when we actually have our thumbs out of our arses!

19 hours ago, pilninggas said:

Also, this might interest other NC700/750 riders (and anyone with crappy damper rod forks) I put some cartridge emulator valves (YSS gold valve clones) in my NC a couple of weeks ago (got them ages ago cheap off of ebay). The damping over uneven surfaces is a lot, lot better, the forks arent kicking back half as much (hydraulic lock basically). A nice cheap upgrade. Might have to replace the rear shock as that is now clearly weak on damping too (40k miles it probably needs it), just have to justify dropping £300 on a YSS/Hagon or similar.

Good mod, I think the current version of the NC has much better suspension (Showa Bending Valves or some such). The NC, although overall FAB, was built to a budget and I'm pretty sure the suspension was at the bottom of the spreadsheet, they splurged most of the money on the technically brilliant, and just plain brilliant, engine.

As you may have read above I'm thinking of a change. Although I think the NC is FAB and I'm on it today and it has reinforced it's FABness I'm getting itchy feet (I'm sure I don't need to explain this). I'll miss the pretend tanks storage space but I won't miss it's looks - I've never been very keen on the design, it looks a lot better sat on it than standing by it's side. There's rumours of a new model (with more power) so perhaps they'll be a bit more adventurous this time.

22 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

I'm a martyr to me bum - I've fitted a Shad comfort seat to the NC which has made some improvement (but not as much as I would hope for the money). As mentioned Triumph have made a point of saying that the seat has been improved , which is tanterment to a confession about previous generations, quote -

'To further increase the enjoyment of your ride, we’ve added 10mm to the seat foam thickness for more comfort and longer distance rideability.'

I've sat on them at the NEC and the seat does seem to be better than the previous generation but that isn't realistic it's what they are like 60mins into a ride that counts.

19 minutes ago, martc said:

I'm a martyr to me bum - I've fitted a Shad comfort seat to the NC which has made some improvement (but not as much as I would hope for the money). As mentioned Triumph have made a point of saying that the seat has been improved , which is tanterment to a confession about previous generations, quote -

'To further increase the enjoyment of your ride, we’ve added 10mm to the seat foam thickness for more comfort and longer distance rideability.'

I've sat on them at the NEC and the seat does seem to be better than the previous generation but that isn't realistic it's what they are like 60mins into a ride that counts.

I've done 750 miles in a day on my NC. It wasnt pretty. 

Once did 950 miles on my FZ1S Austria back to home in a day - wasnt too bad other than my shoulder blades were sore the next day.

YouTube wise the only one I both A click on religiously and B watch all the way through is Fortnine.

The production quality of the videos is immense and, the humour punches up not down and content is varied. 

What I can't stand is ten minute videos of 20 seconds content. Ok board video is one thing if you're crossing a desert, but fuck me who thinks anyone wants to see some twat navigate a roundabout near Nottingham. See also just regurgitating shit they've heard elsewhere. The pub bore without the pub is even worse than usual.

My BikeTube at the moment is mostly Allen Millyard and Jawa Tino: the latter's projects have been fun, but he's mostly doing compilations at the moment; the former speaks for himself, and rather well he does it too. 'Show and tell' in a good way, and with modest good humour. A lot of others could learn from his example, and just keep it simple. 

Saying that, there was that London based channel full of smug hipsters with endless pre-unit Triumph scramblers/bobbers, can't mind the name of it, I've blanked it out! That was a sound idea, but it faltered on the bikes being credit card engineered by twats with more money than knowledge. The one genuine attempt at a Ducati 900SS based streetfighter-ish thing was laughably bad.

Basically, I think keeping it simple and keeping it 'real' is the best foundation for a channel.

22 hours ago, pilninggas said:

Fitted Racetech emulators to my SV650s - night and day difference . That and a revalved / resprung GSXR shock and it was a tidy handling bike .

header.jpg

Refitted the system earlier, Ti studs and copper-flashed nuts (for a bini i believe), new stainless clamps and fixings, copper greased the fittings and put smear of exhaust paste on the unions.

pipe.jpg

Smoked a bit from the header-most fixings when I started it up but I guess thats the copper grease oil burning off. Let it idle for a bit to cure the exhaust paste.

The 'new' pipework has been cut to accommodate an aftermarket can but turned out to be a neater fit on the CarbonCo can on the bike than the old pipe.

Not 100% on the exposed bit of exhaust gasket where the front head has shed some casing material. Might JB Weld a repair on there but will have a think. Its been like that for ages so i imagine its ok.

Hopefully that repair will outlast the bike.

The thing needs a wash...

8 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

YouTube wise the only one I both A click on religiously and B watch all the way through is Fortnine.

The production quality of the videos is immense and, the humour punches up not down and content is varied. 

What I can't stand is ten minute videos of 20 seconds content. Ok board video is one thing if you're crossing a desert, but fuck me who thinks anyone wants to see some twat navigate a roundabout near Nottingham. See also just regurgitating shit they've heard elsewhere. The pub bore without the pub is even worse than usual.

Fortnine is very good but agree a lot of the video is filler to get it over the 10 minute monetisation mark. We want that sort of level of production value, humour but more builds and vlogs with stories than reviews and tests etc. Thinking on turning my learning into a beginner's skills series as someone actually relatable doing that would be what I would look for, plus the projects and that sort of building / maintaining work. 

Just don't want it to be crap!

8 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

My BikeTube at the moment is mostly Allen Millyard and Jawa Tino: the latter's projects have been fun, but he's mostly doing compilations at the moment; the former speaks for himself, and rather well he does it too. 'Show and tell' in a good way, and with modest good humour. A lot of others could learn from his example, and just keep it simple. 

Saying that, there was that London based channel full of smug hipsters with endless pre-unit Triumph scramblers/bobbers, can't mind the name of it, I've blanked it out! That was a sound idea, but it faltered on the bikes being credit card engineered by twats with more money than knowledge. The one genuine attempt at a Ducati 900SS based streetfighter-ish thing was laughably bad.

Basically, I think keeping it simple and keeping it 'real' is the best foundation for a channel.

Allen Millyard is brilliant, true genius... I don't have that much genius so it will be more along the lines of restoration and rebuilding Gumtree tat finds, but if only! "Keeping it simple"...simpler.

Not heard of Jawa Tino and I think I shall avoid London blokes with bobbers, but I'll give JT a look up and show the partner, see if there's the right energy going on. 

Thanks for help guys, got a good few tubers to check out and maybe get tips from, hopefully my next thing about this will actually be an up and running channel which I would invite constructive criticism on also, can't learn unless you listen.

Cheers ?

I'm a fan of Fortnine, especially when he does proper scientific analysis of products. His one testing out the four types of bike batteries came to a surprising conclusion, backed up by stats and not what the bloke down the pud says.

Watched Millyards video on the downhill mountain bike he designed and built for his son. Genius.

10 hours ago, martc said:

Spot on. I know a few that have paid lots of money for a "more comfortable" seat that proved to be worse on a long run than what they replaced. 

10 hours ago, pilninggas said:

I've done 750 miles in a day on my NC. It wasnt pretty. 

Once did 950 miles on my FZ1S Austria back to home in a day - wasnt too bad other than my shoulder blades were sore the next day.

People don't believe me, but my KTM RC8 had one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had for long distance days. It may have been very thin but it was the right width and length. Rode to and over the Grossglockner a couple of years ago on route to meet some mates in Slovakia with not comfort issues at all.

20180523_111055.thumb.jpg.060c30d508aa19033a6a8c65556ab6ae.jpg

I'm a fan of Fortnine, especially when he does proper scientific analysis of products. His one testing out the four types of bike batteries came to a surprising conclusion, backed up by stats and not what the bloke down the pud says.
Watched Millyards video on the downhill mountain bike he designed and built for his son. Genius.
I loved fortnine and his tyre analysis. Because I would love to go on demon tweaks and spend 30 quid on two Dunlop's and shove them on but nooooo don't do that.

Millyard is just a genius, found him through James May actually, just don't know how you go about deciding to build a bike around a plane effectively

Thanks for suggestions

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk