The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

This has got to be my favourite CZ advert EVER.

Couldn't advertise like that now.

20200412_110920.thumb.jpg.2e27947d678afe99a936953cbbecf1d1.jpg

Holy shit, I love this! Ripping it on a 250 CZ, doesn't get more 70's than this.

You can just imagine the ire & indignation from the "decent folk" :

'Bloody hooligans with their bloody noisy motorbikes with their bloody long hair, no bloody respect - bring back national service I say'

Bit of garage time today. Gave the calipers on the firestorm a bit of a clean which has sharpened up the lever feel. The pistons looked grand but two or three were a bit slow to come out. Seem better now after a poke. Ideally a full caliper rebuild, if we are still in lockdown next month I'll whip them off.

For now I've employed the age old trick of cable tying the brake lever hard against the bar overnight to force any stubborn bubbles up through the system - usually improved lever feel a tad.

Otherwise I had a quick look at the project CB200. Pulled the frame out and got it up onto the bench.

b05e72ec584f2bab252860e771e9b845.jpg

This will need a huge amount of work, I'd like to at least get towards a rolling chassis this year. It's an early model before they changed to a disc front brake, this has a twin leading drum.

Unfortunately most of the rest of it is in boxes down at my dad's, I had planned to retrieve it all after we moved but that hasn't happened yet.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Bag'O'Spanners said:

I know.... Hardly in the spirit of Autoshite due to exactly that. 

I just miss bikes and nothing to do on mine ?

similar here:

ZX10R cleaned and raring to go. No jobs to do.

NC700. Replaced the back tyre the week before last. cleaned and ready to go.

RG250 rebuilt recently. awaiting a 1/2" piston m/c as upgrading that. also some 25mm rubber hose so i can fit the lightweight silencers i bought a while ago.

FZR1000 raring to go. might clean it tomorrow. not really dirty anyway.

XJ600 waiting on a 32mm holesaw, mine is fubared so i can carry on making up the turbo manifold.

Would love to go out on any of them right now.

Some bike fettling has been done. 

I've dragged the MBK out of the barn and got it going. 

IMG_20200412_153729.thumb.jpg.99e2f66d165d0ff621a320fa347cb452.jpg

That expansion makes a hell of a racket. 

I need to work out how to disengage drive. There is a foot lever behind the footrest that seems to work in reverse. Stomp on it and it tightens the belt. Lift it and drive stops. Seems wrong to me... 

I agree with the bike cleaning/servicing/ repair thing!!

the CB has been polished to within an inch of its life, oil changed, new air filter fitted and chain lubed.

the Mobylette is polished. she needs new points and a re wire I think as she isn't running to well and the original wires on her are a touch brittle after almost 60 years! these items are on order though. I did consider a resto on the Mobylette but now she is shiny I think I will leave as she is, I know there is a big debate on whether to restore or leave as original and I have swung both ways over the months, but now I think she deserves to grow old gracefully.

IMG-20200412-WA0009.jpeg

IMG_20200324_113630.jpg

3 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Nothing says France to me more than 14 year old kids "racing" through the town squares on mopeds with incredibly loud expansion chambers.  Oh la la.

They still  do :)

I quite often come across heaps like this whizzing along at improbable speeds.

Mostly its all four stroke slowpeds now :(

58 minutes ago, Bag'O'Spanners said:

I've not seen one like it, though it doesn't mean a lot. I just really like the look of the thing. Being honest, there isn't a lot I don't like. Not ready for a HD yet though......

I had a fully faired RS100 some years ago which I bought for £200. It was just nasty. Carbs were shockingly bad, and leaked like fountains. Not my cup of tea flat twins, although the R1250RS I had at work was comfy all day and the quick shifter (up and down) kept me entertained.

If you should ever get decide to scratch the itch of a Harley, do not get one that has been tuned to double the horsepower, but has standard brakes and suspension set up. Just don't.

I've freed off the ignition switch on the Tula, only to find knackered wiring to the coil and while fixing this, the condenser fell to bits. Ho hum. Now trying to date it for registering with DVLA, but that's not easy when the Soviet factories never released production records, There's more in my thread if you're in any way interested.

Had an essential ride earlier, dropping some bits off to my parents that they  needed but didn't get from their prized tesco slot and picking up some bits they had that puts off seeing the inside of a supermarket for a few more days.

Ok so now I've covered myself.

That was brilliant fun, living in the South East means riding fast A roads with nothing in front or behind in the light is something I can't remember ever doing. It left me grinning in a way that the current fun police curtain twitchers would have had a heart attack about.

Obviously every other car on the road had yellow and blue stickers, and no speed limits were harmed, but we will never see the like of this again, by the next pandemic we'll all be stuck on electric rubbish that sends automatic tickets to your address. I wouldn't go out for just a ride at this time, but presuming I have a journey that needs taking, and can prove it should I get a tug I can't imagine using four rather than two wheels at the moment. 

Managed to get the assembled beastie out into the sunshine today, haven't cleaned it, just got it starting and running, for the first time in 40 years, sadly I will probably move it on as I have others that need my urgent attention.... next up should be a 250 twin that's been hiding in my garage for the last couple of years.

IMG_20200414_150256.jpg

IMG_20200414_150429.jpg

after 6 months i put a headlight guard on the bike (only been pottering to work and back)

guard was 20 quid - bought coupla days after i bought the bike

headlight is 500 -  fuck replacing that - never needed to in 20+ years but sods law says smash - roundy lights or square ones (if youre fucking yamaha) are cheap cheap

want to buy some hand guards but no point atm and need summer gloves as only have two pairs of winter ones :D

and my working jacket died (bike jacket given for free) i only own one other jacket which is far too nice for work so looking at cheap ones but due to being an fb i want to go and fit one on but cant as theyre all shut and im not doing mail order

My god I had forgotten about that episode, I  know the feeling of being a senior citizen and dropping a few bikes along the way, the worst was my lovely few months old Suzuki GT 250 RAMAIR  in 1974 I had to hide the damaged bike from my mum till I got it fixed, because my mum had signed the HP agreement as I wasn't old enough . She would have had a fit if she had seen it !Ask your grandad about HP (hire purchase)  and flairs and loon pants  and Elton John moon boots  ha ha ha.

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

yay

also booo

apparently lockdonw will be extended later

holidays getting moved - again

IMG_20200416_141115.jpg

IMG_20200416_141129.jpg

IMG_20200416_141205.jpg

IMG_20200416_141214.jpg

Holidays-already "lost" my USA trip at the beginning of April, my trip to Czechia in mid May and the Balkans in June, as it seems travel could be restricted until then. 

Maybe my trip to Sepang MotoGP will go ahead in October, but who knows?  That will be my only holiday in 2020, and it's not even on a bike.

My main concern though is when the hell will I be able to go to.my new gaff in Spain? Before the height of summer I hope.

same here - easter got fart

supposed to be doing france belge holland germany end of next week - that was cancelled before easter - got email voucher for ferry yesterday can only rebook not a refund good job it was only a one way

got stuff booked to ireland for may but the extended their lockdown on monday to 5 may i was going away 7th - thatll be moved over the weekend

moved stuff to june so heres hoping

hoping to go far east in november - def hoping itll be gone by then although not booked anything yet

On 4/12/2020 at 3:51 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Nothing says France to me more than 14 year old kids "racing" through the town squares on mopeds with incredibly loud expansion chambers.  Oh la la.

When we were in Normandy last year we got taking to a woman in her 30s who'd moved out there from London a few years ago

I commented how clean everywhere was and how you don't see dicks in german cars tearing the place up

she said when she first moved out she was in Beaux when a group of about 20 kids just like you're talking about zingged into town on mopeds and started tearing up and down the empty market square

after about 10 minutes one of the restaurant owners, a woman in her 60s came out and had a go at them

The british woman used to life in London thought, Oh this is going to be bad

One of them got off his moped , walked up to her and said in a menacing tone " why don't you , go,go, go and get yourself a coffee' , they then rode off into the distance like a swarm of bees