The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Despite having 3 Hondas, have to join the 'meh' club. Some (CB250N/CG125 for example) were brilliant if not exciting bikes. That's probably Honda all over though, reliable but dull. Have found Yamahas too unreliable (and not especially well built) but Suzuki and Kawasaki seem to have the best looking/more exciting bikes, in general. 

I've had more Hondas than any other brand of bike. Not really on purpose, it's just went that way.

This however is most un-honda like. It's lumpy and angry, sounds like thunder and begs to be ridden like a tit. Aftermarket exhaust helps - standard cans hide a lot of the character.c74b22160be9e0b02096e50d4b6d0aba.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

If I had some actual money I think I'd like a V4 tuono. They seem like all the bike you would ever need

They are just fantastic. Even come with a built in restrictor so that 100mph + cannot be maintained for long. The fully faired RSV is great, but it needs the rider to be as tiny as it is. 

21 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

I seem to be the only one who isn't a vfr fan. I found my '96 a bit "meh" . Didn't particularly do anything well, didn't make me want to go for a ride, or want to clean and polish it. Never had a Honda yet that I've liked. Just me?

Had  P reg VFR750 at work that was kept on by the fleet manager way past its age and mileage replacement, because it was liked by most of the riders for its ability to remain comfortable for 12 hour stints.

The VFR800's that followed weren't so well liked, and for God's sake, don't mention the VFR1200. The three we had were unanimously voted the most hateful, unreliable and ill handling bikes we ever rode.

11 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

VFR750 nailed on future classic. Not the most exciting ride but you can't ignore the engineering that went into them.

Now a VFR (or RVF) 400, thats a proper special bike. Or the CBR250RR with the 18k redline....

looking at buying a hornet 600 or 250 (20k redline) when do nz again

What ho chaps, I suspect like many of you, I have spent the last few weeks, mowing the lawn to within an inch of it's life, painted everything that keeps still long enough and fixed all the stupid stuff on the car. So in true AS fashion and having competed every job that "er indoors " could find I have now retired to the garage, to indulge my lifelong passion for resurrecting two wheeled shite........

I have managed to get a couple of easy fix bikes running again and now I have started on a third bike, all my bikes are CZ, Jawas or other eastern bloc shite (beauties). Anyway I thought that this one might be of interest to fellow bikeshiters. It's a 1976 CZ 175 Sport (eastern bloc humor), I bought it along with three other bikes locally, this particular bike was for some reason dismantled and stored in the guys loft for many many years. I think that its all there but I can't be 100% sure as there are so many boxes, jars and marge tubs it's impossible to tell. Any way it's about 75% assembled and I have attached a couple of small pics to whet your appetite. I am getting close to firing her up and stripped the carb just to check everything, as this model has a separate oil tank the carb was very clean, no gone off petroil mix that smells like a bag of mouldy potatoes left in the shed and sticks like shite to a blanket. The carb had been wrapped in oily rag and when I took it apart I was amazed by the condition of the float, just look at that after 43 years of off the road!  Check out the supplying dealer sticker on the rear mudguard and the one and only tax disc that the bike has ever had.

I will update as and when if anyones interested?

IMG_20200411_165729.jpg

IMG_20200411_165712.jpg

IMG_20200411_165822.jpg

Since I turned 40ish,too long ago now, I always fancied an MZ or something, I love the simplicity and the agricultural styling. But I never indulged and now the prices are rising quite quickly. So good luck with this and keep us all posted. 

Yes you def right about prices I used get given CZ bikes or evenpaid to take them away, but I have been amazed by the interest shown in some the bikes that I sold recently, I think that most people don't have deep enough pockets for the Japanese stuff anymore and although the eastern bloc stuff is not in the same league it's an affordable way to get that nice two stroke noise and smell.

2 minutes ago, RED2stroke said:

Yes you def right about prices I used get given CZ bikes or evenpaid to take them away, but I have been amazed by the interest shown in some the bikes that I sold recently, I think that most people don't have deep enough pockets for the Japanese stuff anymore and although the eastern bloc stuff is not in the same league it's an affordable way to get that nice two stroke noise and smell.

Yeah, I agree. But I also like the way they look and the very MZ/CZ ding ding of the exhaust ? I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find one one day..... 

7 minutes ago, RED2stroke said:

What ho chaps, I suspect like many of you, I have spent the last few weeks, mowing the lawn to within an inch of it's life, painted everything that keeps still long enough and fixed all the stupid stuff on the car. So in true AS fashion and having competed every job that "er indoors " could find I have now retired to the garage, to indulge my lifelong passion for resurrecting two wheeled shite........

I have managed to get a couple of easy fix bikes running again and now I have started on a third bike, all my bikes are CZ, Jawas or other eastern bloc shite (beauties). Anyway I thought that this one might be of interest to fellow bikeshiters. It's a 1976 CZ 175 Sport (eastern bloc humor), I bought it along with three other bikes locally, this particular bike was for some reason dismantled and stored in the guys loft for many many years. I think that its all there but I can't be 100% sure as there are so many boxes, jars and marge tubs it's impossible to tell. Any way it's about 75% assembled and I have attached a couple of small pics to whet your appetite. I am getting close to firing her up and stripped the carb just to check everything, as this model has a separate oil tank the carb was very clean, no gone off petroil mix that smells like a bag of mouldy potatoes left in the shed and sticks like shite to a blanket. The carb had been wrapped in oily rag and when I took it apart I was amazed by the condition of the float, just look at that after 43 years of off the road!  Check out the supplying dealer sticker on the rear mudguard and the one and only tax disc that the bike has ever had.

I will update as and when if anyones interested?

Keep the updates coming. Very interested.

My first proper* motorbike was a 1971 CZ175, bought from F K Sharp the dealers in Lincoln. It cost me £166 brand new. Unfortunately I only took one or two photos of it and they disappeared at least 30 years ago. Mine also had the separate oil pump and, unlike my brother's slightly later model, had a round headlight shell and a large chromed flash on the fuel tank sides. I kept it for many thousands of miles, albeit with a crankshaft failure after about 20K - the tapered end which carried the dynamo and points assembly broke off at the location peg hole. It was a nice handling bike. Many years later I bought a Jawa 350 with sidecar. That was hopelessly unreliable and also broke rear spokes almost daily. I had an MZ Supa5 250 for a while, bought brand new from Seymours in Thame. It was a nice bike but its handling was alarming on greasy roundabouts. Now, I can't even get on my very first bike,* a 1967 Peugeot BB CT moped bought new in Roermond (NL). It sits in my garage waiting for its decrepit owner to be miraculously cured of arthritis.

Anyway, I will enjoy reading about your CZs etc. 

1 hour ago, 1duck said:

I had a cz bought around 15 years ago for 200 quid with delivery mileage, sat in my garage for about 7 years then sold for pretty much what I'd paid for it. Never thought they'd go up in value tbh. 

Yes they still turn up, most will have 4 km on the clock as that was the length of the assembled test ride, saw one for sale the other day still in it's delivery crate ! Many came to the uk long after the factory closed as they mostly sat in containers all over europe after Cagiva , who by then owned CZ  gave up on them, you will find some later models with Cagiva vin plates and engines stamped the same.

I bought a 1983 CZ250 twin as a project but simply didnt have any time or inclination to start doing it up. It ran ok when I picked it up.

Sold to Jackytwoshoes but think he moved it on too. Best thing were the instructions in the owners manual for cleaning the exhaust baffles, which was to "soak them in petrol and set fire to them".

Much prefer the MZ TS185 I had a couple of years before the CZ, even though it was a somewhat bizarre cc.

Went to the Jawa Factory Museum in Czechia a few years ago. I forgot how many World Championship winning speedway bikes they made. And their horizontally opposed twin looked really good.

20200411_202353.jpg.a38308c247b836956de06b3f8d8904b9.jpg

I thought thats how everyone cleaned their baffles......I have a couple of 250 twins, they make a lovely sound, did you know that CZ fitted restrictors inside the air box on 175 singles as they were reputedly quicker than the more expensive 250 twins, removing it requires splitting the airbox which is easy as it's cast in two halves and bolted together........oh god I sound like a right anorak. Cool pic .

Takes me back - I remember as a student, a mate and I used to get MZ's, CZ's etc usually for nothing or £5-£10 at most. We got paid once to take two CZ's away, a 175 & a 250 twin. The 175 I got going quite quick, MoT'd it and flogged it on for about £75 which was good money for one of those in the late 80's. We never managed to revive the 250, it went FOC to a local chap who had a truly huge number of old eastern bloc bikes (& a few Ladas) in his back garden as he'd helped us out with spares in the past.  

My two eastern block motorbikes

mz.thumb.jpg.864a7d03d7838572894afed24a18c079.jpg

1st my 1987 MZ ETZ250 was UK registered and not running right so I got it sorted then put it in for testing which it passed and there was manx registered, I got it to commute to work and back on but unfortunately it didn't want to go every time so I swapped it for a Yamaha SR125 fast forward a few years and I found it again and eventually got the chance to buy it back. Top end has been striped down piston is scored so looks like it seized so awaiting attention

My other one is 

DSCF23441024x768.thumb.jpg.ab6599825dbaeb8e7341a9d0d8ae5d56.jpg

A Cossack Voskhod 2 which cost £30 in photos is missing a few parts but I have sourced a complete headlight and the missing left downpipe with lock rings. I have no documents unfortunately and this is also awaiting its turn to be looked at.  

The ETZ250 is a surprisingly nice bike to ride, quite low revving & torquey for a two-stroke. I always thought they looked good in a utilitarian way, simple to maintain too.

Always slagged off & called crap by the kind of motorcycle heroes and so-called experts who've never actually ridden one. 

Fancied on of these since seeing (or actually not seeing) one hoon past me many years ago. Got to the bike shop and it was propped up outside, ticking and pinging like nothing else. Absolutely smothered in mud and on French plates. An full factory MZ250 ISDT.

Reputedly good for 100mph. Seems I've missed the boat on these too.

20200412_111427.jpg.aaaee94424680f6140e6665e01cdaceb.jpg

44 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

This has got to be my favourite CZ advert EVER.

Couldn't advertise like that now.

20200412_110920.thumb.jpg.2e27947d678afe99a936953cbbecf1d1.jpg

One of my favourites too and not only that but I have one in that very colour, its a very coarse silver metal flake , it def does not wheelie like the pic though. I will try and dig out a pic.

The one I had was a Custom, but over the years bits and pieces had been replaced, which was quite sad. The owner did tell me of someone on ebay that had hundreds of parts and it would be possible to change it back, but I lost the details and never got around to sorting it before moving it on.