The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

10 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

Have you booked your CBT? If not I massively recommend prt of operate out of the Honda dealership in Letchworth.

http://www.prtnortonway.co.uk/

They managed to get me through a cbt safely first time and pass both mods first time so they must be good!

I haven't yet, so thanks for the recommendation!

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

Maybe it's because I've been riding a DN-01 these past few years and I'm used to it's looks, but I would have said that the Vultus is way, way, way more Out There than the DN?

I agree the Vultus may be a bit more Batman than the DN-01 but the DN beats it into a hat when it comes to extreme mechanicals...

Well my new toy arrived this week. Ex ultrawomble CB250. it is a joy to ride,  not quick but very able for the commute. The buying experience was a joy, he is a top bloke. 

I have plans, came supplied with spares including a new tank and disc for the front, so will replace those in the good weather.  For an almost 30 year old bike it is in remarkable condition, it has obviously been cared for along with the Honda build quality. She is a keeper, roll on a good summer. 

IMG_20200303_144724.jpg

7 hours ago, andyberg said:

Well my new toy arrived this week. Ex ultrawomble CB250. it is a joy to ride,  not quick but very able for the commute. The buying experience was a joy, he is a top bloke. 

I have plans, came supplied with spares including a new tank and disc for the front, so will replace those in the good weather.  For an almost 30 year old bike it is in remarkable condition, it has obviously been cared for along with the Honda build quality. She is a keeper, roll on a good summer. 

New Honda joining the fleet, eh? Must be the day for it! Check out this beauty:

5.jpg

4.jpg

Fuck Northern Rail - if I can't avoid them using an electric Aixam then this redoubtable commuting/pizza warrior will surely prevail.

More soon!

2 hours ago, strangeangel said:

New Honda joining the fleet, eh? Must be the day for it! Check out this beauty:

5.jpg

4.jpg

Fuck Northern Rail - if I can't avoid them using an electric Aixam then this redoubtable commuting/pizza warrior will surely prevail.

More soon!

How many times has it been stolen and recovered?

My bike finally got it's second run out of the year, which should take place entirely in daylight, riding at night is out now because of the state of the roads. I was reminded me how much more well equipped my Triumph is than my previous two bikes. I got onto a nice dry well surfaced (i.e. Welsh) A road and opened her up, resulting in that delightful big triple roar, followed about thirty seconds later by a big warning light coming on in the corner of the dash. I nursed the old girl into work thinking, shit! oil level, oil pressure? Nope my bike has a fuel light, phew! 

19 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Bloke coming round to collect a top box from me. Checked out his feedback and see he has this for sale at £2,495.

20200305_165320.jpg.2cce0305b90d6862f8d50b38f63d0fae.jpg20200305_165302.thumb.jpg.67146f31493c160bb05f18bf2465c209.jpg20200305_165336.jpg.7f1e8bc16d1b0f601358dba2881dbb57.jpg

1000cc Kawasaki engine. Road registered. WCPGW?

If I wasnt moving, I'd be offering the topbox in part exchange.

That is spectacular, but I imagine the 2.5k doesn't include anyone mad enough to get on it with you.

^^^ Had a long chat with the seller when he came to collect his ebay item. Told me the bike cost about £11,000 to build and that the engine rebuild cost a large part of that. Had a William's chassis I think he said. Whatever, it was originally put together by people who knew what they were doing.

Andy Bates was one of the builders of this. He owns AB Performance which makes the Arion S2 cars, powered by bike engines. Andyven got backing from Jones and Bannatyne on Dragons Den

The seller told me it wasn't his outfit, as he was selling it on behalf of a friend. Only made £2,495 which I consider cheap as chips. If I wasn't moving I would have had it.

Buyer is from North Walsham in Norfolk. It isn't you, is it @wuuvum?

On 3/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Bloke coming round to collect a top box from me. Checked out his feedback and see he has this for sale at £2,495.

20200305_165320.jpg.2cce0305b90d6862f8d50b38f63d0fae.jpg20200305_165302.thumb.jpg.67146f31493c160bb05f18bf2465c209.jpg20200305_165336.jpg.7f1e8bc16d1b0f601358dba2881dbb57.jpg

1000cc Kawasaki engine. Road registered. WCPGW?

If I wasnt moving, I'd be offering the topbox in part exchange.

might be going isle of man end of may - race ya

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bikeshiters, seeing as I made it out for a quite glorious ride yesterday I figured I may as well weigh in on this thread.

IMG_20200316_151939.thumb.jpg.cbb7f5acbcb7ed2d4dfe27248fd925c6.jpg

This is my ex-police Pan Euro knocking on 90k. Now that the weather might be getting better the prospect of this as a means of transport is looking more appealing. It's taken me on one European trip already which was great, I'd love to do another this summer depending on Brexit/Coronavirus/collapse of society as we know it. I think next time I'll head east, I went south last time.

Anyone else been out enjoying the sunshine?

I CAN HAZ CBT

Amazingly, the instructor said I wasn't remotely close to the worst rider he'd had, and wasn't even the worst rider he'd given a ticket to. I'm just immensely grateful that the roads were semi-deserted. I have no idea how the hell people do it in cities.

Hilarious* habits I still have include: Trying to pull away with my foot on the brake. Smashing down through the gears and snatching at the clutch, but not at the same time. Forgetting how violent engine-braking can be, and lurching back and forth at low speeds like a pleb. And stalling, a l l  t h e  t i m e.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tepper said:

Hi bikeshiters, seeing as I made it out for a quite glorious ride yesterday I figured I may as well weigh in on this thread.

This is my ex-police Pan Euro knocking on 90k. Now that the weather might be getting better the prospect of this as a means of transport is looking more appealing. It's taken me on one European trip already which was great, I'd love to do another this summer depending on Brexit/Coronavirus/collapse of society as we know it. I think next time I'll head east, I went south last time.

I did my police advanced training and test on a Pan in North Wales. Very stable at high speeds, and pretty nimble (including a somewhat brisk ride along the Bala road). Weather was fantastic for the last week of the four week course. 

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

250/350LCs, X7s and FS1Es aren't getting any cheaper, are they? :(

I dont think that they will, seeing as interest on savings is negligible. Cheaper to buy than a classic car as an "investment" with less risk of losing a fortune if the bottom falls out of the classic bike market. 

On 3/17/2020 at 10:25 AM, Tepper said:

had one of those a looooooooooooongm time ago (ive just realised how long fuck im old)

chopped in a 2003 hornet 900 id bought new and done 25k on in 18 months

went to italy on it and ended up in val gardena looking for stelvio :D

photobucket is a cock so i dont have the phot of it infront of the town sign or on the border at fussen in germany :(

did get pulled on it riding to work and it taken off me cos apparently plod said it wasnt showing on pnc - caused me an unexpected day off sorting it out and causing the insurance co to give all me their money as it hadnt been unpolicified on the computer

the exhaust died on the way back from innsbruck - got sorted flogged it an i bought a 600 hornet again :)

4 hours ago, MrDuke said:

I CAN HAZ CBT

Amazingly, the instructor said I wasn't remotely close to the worst rider he'd had, and wasn't even the worst rider he'd given a ticket to. I'm just immensely grateful that the roads were semi-deserted. I have no idea how the hell people do it in cities.

Hilarious* habits I still have include: Trying to pull away with my foot on the brake. Smashing down through the gears and snatching at the clutch, but not at the same time. Forgetting how violent engine-braking can be, and lurching back and forth at low speeds like a pleb. And stalling, a l l  t h e  t i m e.

Congrats.  I don't know about anyone else on here but when I did my CBT in about 2008 I'd never actually been on a motorbike before or even sat on one. I was the only one in my group who was a biking virgin, plus all the others were 16 or 17 whereas I was 31. The bloke doing the course was a miserable sod, although he brightened up upon finding out that none of us were Welsh (as his wife had left him for a Welshman).  Our CBT also took place on a Sunday the same day as the British MotoGP so he was missing that to teach four spotty kids and a bloke with no discernible riding talent how to make it around Hereford city centre without going under a lorry.

I was really fucking terrible though, the look on the bloke's face when I'd finally managed to wobble a CB125 around a car park without stalling. I did manage to be unshit enough to be allowed out into traffic though under close scrutiny from the instructor although I did cop a fearful bollocking via the intercom for taking a racing line around a roundabout. No one was more surprised than me to get a certificate after all that.

My instructor was great, to be fair. The only other learner was a girl who managed to grab the front brake and fall off before she'd even ridden a yard. She wanted to go home straight away, but he talked her into doing the car park stuff on an auto scooter instead and really worked on building her confidence. She was adamant that she was too scared to go out on the road, but he persuaded her to go anyway, and she only made one real cock-up in the whole 2 hours. She was proper chuffed at the end.

I copped 2 bollockings, once for cutting a mini-roundabout (not on purpose, I was too pre-occupied with clutch misery) and once for not slowing down enough for a tight corner (again,I wanted to slow down but couldn't stamp on the shifter quickly enough). Top bloke though, I hope he's still there when I go for my DAS.

Decided to drag this old girl out of the barn today,because BG self lockdown 

Stuck a new battery and plug in it, kicked it over and was rewarded with a bit of a sloppy pop and this deposited onto the ground behind!

Seems a bit of rain water must have got through the roof and ended up in the exhaust.....somehow

Anyway,she warmed up nicely with a quick spin over the open fields,and is now ready for a full oil and fluids change

20200320_165820.jpg

I agree with the above. I had to take an emergency supply of toilet roll to my daughter today because, for some reason, you cant buy it anywhere. So I thought I would go on my bike. Apart from being a bit chilly, the sun was out and it made the 100 mile round trip very pleasant. I was a little surprised at just how many bikes were out, or was it because the car numbers were such a lot less than usual? The CB performed faultlessly, and brought back to me that once a motorcyclist, always a motorcyclist. Unless we go into lockdown, she will be getting may more miles under her belt this year, I can go out and not have to be near a soul!!

Spent two hours washing and polishing the Guzzi this morning (a real two bucket wrong 'un) as it has not been cleaned for months. Came up really well considering this is a regular occurrence-ride it on a long trip then park it up in a garage for 5 months.

May take a spin out on it tomorrow, but last week saw some right knobs out riding, wrong side of the road around bends, dangerous overtakes, and speeding through villages, including the one I live in. Probably first time they had been out in months.

16 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Unless we go into lockdown, she will be getting may more miles under her belt this year, I can go out and not have to be near a soul!!

this.

apart from the ferry and maybe some petrol (theres not been a ferry cancellation for where im going since it started) - wouldnt have to speak to anyone for what i want to be doing - roll on easter

fuck corona