The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the firestorm ready for MOT and I've got a bit carried away

ab1f937ed984b3784efe6f8886b4d60a.jpg

Now I have a garage and the poor bike doesn't have to live outside I can properly clean the thing.

Otherwise I need to adjust the steering bearings, clean the brakes, replace the coolant/oil/filters and fit new indicators......I might also need a new rear tyre as well

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Local dealer offered to sell my RC8 for me. It appears that getting good secondhand stock is proving difficult, so saves me the headache of putting it on ebay.

Few weeks ago I had 7 bikes in my garage now just down to two. So if anyone wants a good Ducati 900SS, I've one I.need to sell

No-although they are a dealer near to me. I have known Jim for many years as I bought my first bike from him in 1976, and they did all my MOT's on all my bikes since then-up until they moved from Headingham to Braintree and stopped doing MOT's.

Still go in there a fair bit as Jerry has been a mate for the last 30 years and he makes a mean cuppa

I don't think they have any second hand bikes for sale there now, just new one's.

Jerry is a lovely bloke indeed. Always had a lot of time for him. I also used to work with little Adrian who worked there on a part time basis. Mad as a bag of badgers, but a nice fella. His standard greeting was "chappy do, I say to you, how do you do ?"  A new mechanic appeared around 10 years ago and I thoroughly disliked him from day one unfortunately.

I know that Jim was still competing in ( and winning I think) classic motocross until  a few years ago when he must have been well into his 70,s.

Degreased and cleaned the VTR while she has her clothes off. Quite a lot of crud under there....

aacf9f7b75d63756c1637815416e7301.jpg

There is a bracket mounted to the front of the frame on the steering tube which holds the instrument unit / front fairing. This is bolted to two lugs. I noticed a hairline crack around the top lug, and unbolted the bracket to investigate further.

Fuck.

38d028c530ce0165f0980963d0ac9381.jpg

6a6fbb1e221fec65339bb4bd9a085d7f.jpg

Yeah that's broke. I don't think it would be easily welded without distorting the head tube. I've bodged it on with JB weld. I think it'll be grand but we shall see.

This frame already has a cat C marker on it, and I know a local lad through the owners club selling a couple of frames with V5s - I think I'll have a chat with him and get one to tuck away for next winter - the rest of my bike is in good order so rebuilding into a "clean" frame makes sense

Well, it ain't pretty but it seems to be holding. I've put my back out so the MOT has been put off for another couple of weeks. Again. But I guess the weather is pish anyway.

8c4b30253bb204ad292fd3ab3ba6d0bc.jpg

I did manage to touch in the damage on the tank, a bit quick and dirty but it's better than it was and should stop it getting worse. Ideally needs filled and properly painted but that can wait525e789d2f19ca881cd71fd2af618f47.jpg

19 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

What.....is it?? Is it any good?

Apparently aimed at those people who can't decide whether they want a scooter, a cruiser, or a sports. The fact that those people don't really exist might explain why you never actually see these things anywhere.

With the weather being so bad lately I've been doing some two wheeled tinkering in the garage to keep out of the wind and rain. Final job on the rebuild of my Suzuki TS250 was to knit spaghetti into a new wiring loom.

DSC_0223.thumb.JPG.f4d0262f1a6c0132c447693b9bfbaf51.JPG

Now the build is essentially complete it's going back into storage until some better weather arrives for the initial start up. I've already sorted out a dating certificate so once running I'll get it MOT'd then do the paperwork to get it registered. Once registered of course it'll never need another MOT ever again being a 1976 model and well over 40 years old ?.

DSC_0229.thumb.JPG.26fe23f8d79da7c7669b4176d596478d.JPG

5 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

Whilst I think an mot is a good idea, I don’t believe you need to have one to register an exempt vehicle.

That's interesting. It's been a long time since I had anything to do with getting something registered so just assumed that you still needed an initial MOT. I'll make a call tomorrow to clarify with DVLA as it would be easier to get the registration process done and dusted without moving the bike for an MOT while the sleet and snow is still falling.

This was originally a UK registered bike but as it was already a "field bike" by the early eighties the record never made it onto the computerised system and all the paperwork was long lost. A commercial HPI on the frame number confirmed this and a polite letter to HMCE got it put on the NOVA system without any fuss.

This bike was a bit of a nostalgic indulgence as a TS250 was the first "proper bike" I rode around the fields on as a teenager back in the eighties. 

I have a 1962 mobylette. It was stored for many years before I purchased it. I got it running, replaced all the knackered bits and applied for a new number plate as the previous owner only wanted the historic plate for his car ?? registered it and did not need to get an mot for it to be classed exempt. It seems the dvla rely on the honesty of the owner that it is roadworthy?? Tax exempt too.  Does make me think about the dishonest people out there. 

21 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

What.....is it?? Is it any good?

The Vultus is the forgotten member of the NC family of Honda motorbikes (NC stands for New Concept) the Vultus' is also called the NM4 (NM = New Motorcycle) see what they are doing here?

Is it any good? It will be very good as the NC underpinnings are extremely well proven and are a first class example of what Honda can do when they try.

Why does it look like it does? It was made to appeal to fans of anime, manga and Japanese sci-fi. The young design team say they were heavily influenced by the image in the 1988 poster for cult classic film 'Akira'  (see also the even more extreme DN-01).

A poster for the 1988 Japanese theatrical release "Akira" which has been heavily influential in Japanese culture

Made the most of the weather today and went on my first 'ride out' today. The local bike store gets a local club to do one a month through spring to autumn. 

Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it before hand but it was good fun. Drilled home how poor my riding is. Given the large numbers I was also pleasantly surprised by the overall lack of knob heads.

I really just haven't ridden enough since getting my licence a couple of years ago so this year's aim is just to clock up as many miles as possible on decent roads not just taking the quicker dual carriageway / motorway options.

2 hours ago, martc said:

Why does it look like it does? It was made to appeal to fans of anime, manga and Japanese sci-fi. The young design team say they were heavily influenced by the image in the 1988 poster for cult classic film 'Akira'

Is that seriously true? I mean, I adored the bikes in Akira, but I can't really see much resemblance in the Vultus. The Akira bikes were more like track bikes crossed with drag racers.

33 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

Is that seriously true? I mean, I adored the bikes in Akira, but I can't really see much resemblance in the Vultus. The Akira bikes were more like track bikes crossed with drag racers.

According to this it's true  - https://newatlas.com/honda-vultus-nm4-motorcycle/31522/

Also contains bonus info about the NC (and NM!) range's engine - a technical tour d'force which really should be better known than it is.

22 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

Made the most of the weather today and went on my first 'ride out' today. The local bike store gets a local club to do one a month through spring to autumn. 

Contrary to what it looks like, Rossi wasn't actually in Stevenage High Street making the most of time off now he has a few weekends spare. 

VFRBikestopMarch2020.thumb.jpg.d84488729a1341e093ae4aa86adad5e4.jpg

I'm sure this is the photo the bike industry will choose when it does it's next campaign to project a cool image and get new young riders on two wheels.... In case anyone is wondering that is the closest I've got to getting my knee down as well.

8 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Bike Stop? That's my 'local' - I live about half a mile away.

It is indeed, I'm about the same distance away. My leathers and lid came from there as well. It really is a top shop imo, and the best coffee shop in the old town to boot. 

Have you booked your CBT? If not I massively recommend prt of operate out of the Honda dealership in Letchworth.

http://www.prtnortonway.co.uk/

They managed to get me through a cbt safely first time and pass both mods first time so they must be good!