The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Whilst replacing the clutch arm on my SV I noted it stank of petrol and some was leaking out of somewhere and running down the front cylinder. thought no more about it but planned an investigation. working on bikes at mine involves shifting the other one out the way and this meant the GS was then by the gate so used that this week for work.

thankfully.

something bad has happened in the SV's carb as the front intake was completely full of petrol. I'd imagine had I bothered to start it i'd have seriously fucked something up.

petrol.jpg

blowing down the fuel line meets little resistance so one of the floats is jammed open or has taken on petrol and is holding the system open.

would also appear neither pump is actually doing its job since with the engine off fuel shouldn't be able to flow...

The other intake is dry so i'd imagine thats ok. but it'll get its float valve and gaskets replaced whenever the kits pitch up.

3 hours ago, pilninggas said:

I suspect like Mutt et al, these are made in China and then distributed by the European brand.

Yep, the parent company Mooof also sells a truly wank-tastic Vespa VBB copy*, the Neco Abruzzi:

noimagetitle.JPG

That POS is made in China, so there's no reason to suppose any of their other products aren't. The Abruzzi is a typically piss-poor Chinese domestic market product, knocked out by one factory and sold under a variety of brands as is common for this sort of thing. Never seen a Bullit so can't comment on the quality, but I'd be very surprised if they turned out to be any good. The styling? Bit too beardy for my liking!

The other day i started my ZX10R up, hadnt used it for 6 weeks. Started fine, but it was pissing with rain so i just let it cycle to temp and then shut it down (not a thing i like to do). Today got it out to go to Aber. Started it, locked the door, and then went up the road, immediately noticed the fecking oil pressure light was on. Turn around and back to home. Went inside and put it in the garage. My suspicion was the oil pressure switch had stuck on. Checked the oil level, it was fine, checked for leaks, nothing. Started it back up and lo-and-behold the light goes straight out [my suspicion was right]. Went up to Aber, a few bikes out. Still gave it the beans, slippy in places but nothing too bad.

Came back and ordered an oil filter. Think ill change it anyway. Gave it a clean over with waterless cleaner - that stuff is the business.

Then refitted the repainted crash bars to the NC and put a new chain on it.

Jerzy woking's post elsewhere about the quantum bike project has always had me interested.  I have never sat on one. All my hyperthetical ergonomic bike related musings are done sitting on the loo whilst pondering.  I have always wonder about bike handlebars, doing my best thunderbirds puppet impressions whilst sitting on the loo ( you should all try this some time) my hands naturally  fall in the quantum handlebar position. My thoughts were always seems natural but what about under heavy braking, i think we are all stronger in the pushup hand position and therefore the clever mr honda with his crack team of toilet sitters decided that it was for the best maintaining the flatter bar designs. 

Any thoughts other shitters. ( see what i did there).

battery bodged till some more nuts and bolts happen

why dont they make the posts whole and thread and tap them - would be far easier

anyone wanna buy a garmin 340lm unit only  - case -  car lead - bought in 16 updated it to 2020 maps in the summer - did have the box but cant find it (usually keep stuff like that) uk and europe maps £85 @Jerzy Woking better than ya other one :P

IMG_20191117_141813.jpg

IMG_20191117_141003.jpg

IMG_20191117_141019.jpg

IMG_20191117_141145.jpg

IMG_20191117_141156.jpg

IMG_20191117_141158.jpg

IMG_20191117_141219.jpg

IMG_20191117_141240.jpg

IMG_20191117_141415.jpg

IMG_20191117_141810.jpg

I went to the Alicante Car and Bike show yesterday, just to see the bikes. Saw quite a few badge engineered Chinese 125's and electric scooters as well as the big boys (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, H-D, Ducati, Indian to name some).

Also a few I have never heard of (and I have not yet Goggled).

Firstly was this 4 wheel scooter. Is it a bike? Is it a car? Only slightly wider than a Piaggio MP3.

20191124_132949.jpg

20191124_133021.jpg

20191124_133006.jpg

Then there was this Voge 500. Looked nicely put together and quite stylish for the price. Not sure what engine it uses, as I've not checked.

20191124_122420.jpg

And this Burgman-one for machine gun lovers?

20191124_134704.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any one owned a 675 Triumph Street Triple? Mate has his for sale here in Spain. He has had the bike some years, and had it metriculated so it is on Spanish plates.

I know it's been looked after and serviced on time, but not sure what they are like as an everyday bike.

I last rode a Triumph (a 955 Sprint?) in 2003 for a few miles, and the time before that was in 1976 or so when I borrowed a Daytone 500 for a week or so. Triumph's have never been on my radar.

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Any one owned a 675 Triumph Street Triple? Mate has his for sale here in Spain. He has had the bike some years, and had it metriculated so it is on Spanish plates.

I used to have one, lovely bike with a fantastic noise.  Being naked it's hard work much beyond 80mph, but apart from that it's a great all-rounder.  Need to keep an eye on the oil level and I remember there was a reg/rec issue with earlier ones.  Good quality.  I hope it's a purple one!

3 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I know it's been looked after and serviced on time, but not sure what they are like as an everyday bike.

I last rode a Triumph (a 955 Sprint?) in 2003 for a few miles, and the time before that was in 1976 or so when I borrowed a Daytone 500 for a week or so. Triumph's have never been on my radar.

Yes I have, i had a 2010 street triple R, they are fantastic bikes, plenty quick enough in reality and they relish a good spanking, The R has amazing Brembo brakes and can stop the bike with one finger, the non R is a great bike too though!

Recommended by me, I think I'll buy another when my current pcp deal is up.

They are a great all rounder and can do everything you throw at them, they are physically quite small but I didn't have an issue, the seat is a bit of a plank but apart from that I can't think of anything to criticise about them.

Cheers gents. The speed limit on the motorways here is 75 mph (60 mph max on other roads). It does have a fly screen on it that my mate says helps take some wind pressure away, but not a lot.

Never found an uncomfortable seat I couldn't make better with a sheepskin and sometimes a gel pad under that. Small is fine as only a 28 inch inside leg.

Not owned a triple since my mate smashed up the GT550 I had in 1986. It should rev a bit harder than my Enfield!

Now just trying to arrange when I can collect or he can deliver!

I service my NC700 regularly, but hadnt touched the brake fluid.

So decided to do it today - not done an ABS bike before.

Turns out it was easy - do the front using the top bleed nipple. Then do the link line that passes through the ABS unit by using the back brake pedal and the lower nipple on the front. Then do the rear line.

What came out was shot - my fluid test said it had +0.5% water content(!).

Hardest bit was the usual seized master cylinder cover screws, drilling out and digging around for screw added 10 mins to an hours work.

4 quid of DOT4 and 2 screws and that's done for another 3 years.

Will have to do the Ninja's next. Might have to use purge mode on the ABS unit on that thing.  

Hey fellow bike shiters, picked this up today. 1980 CZ 250 been stored since 1983, story is that the 80 plus year old owner put it to the back of his integral garage, many years ago, subsequent house alterations mean't that it became entombed, the ceiling was resting on the handle bars!  Tyres had to be fully deflated in order to get it out and with the assistance  of a short person it was finally freed.It is age seized but I have no doubt that it can be made to run.  Just goes to show what is still out there waiting to be found.

IMG_22051.jpg

IMG_22191.jpg