The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

2006 CBF600N for sale
60k miles mot till april 20 - looking over it when bought it might need front discs soon and the tyres arent matched but ok - oil is clean so might have been changed recently - been looking for antifreeze in small quantities thats not the gdp of japan as i think theres only water in it - two sets of keys V5 turned up this morning
runs fine heated grips theres a rad guard also - taken off as it ran slightly hot with it centre stand and crash bungs
£600 what it owes me - only selling as insurance settlement has been sorted cant keep two bikes
bike in manchester - can deliver if transport home isnt a clusterfuck
IMG_20190928_140317.thumb.jpg.53ed4a5fba57f761bf2c5ace8021f11e.jpg

That’s a barg, I sold my old 2008 CBF for £600 with 158,000 miles on it. Was a great first big bike, gentle torque curve and winter beater. Should’ve kept it.

As DaveQ said, it's regulations. The rear tyre can't be the back of the bike so they have to hang some easy to remove plastic there and as a bonus get to make a few quid more by flogging the tail tidy at the same time.

We're basically lucky in this country no one cares about the build regs after somethings been sold, not sure if in stricter counties that require TUV approval for mods they have to ride around with it as stock?

Of course there is an argument that it's the same as HD getting round emissions by having their lumps in an even worse state of tune and everyone buying an 'aftermarket' upgrade that is already on the bike when they pick it up. It's a rubbish argument of course because I really can't see any real danger with the rear tyre being exposed other than a wet arse.

I really shouldn't keep browsing this thread. The temptation to get back on a bike is close to overwhelming. Over 30 years riding them, and now 10 years of living without them. Missus asked me yesterday what I want for my 60th in a couple of weeks time. Havent given an answer yet. I wonder how she would react to a request for an R1 or Fireblade.  Even a 1200 Bandit would do, at a push.

2 hours ago, Fat_Pirate said:

/\ NC750X innit?  Wot they like?  They look a bit sensible.

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

retail therapy oh yes

flash (not)

I've got the S version and it's ace - initially you may think it's all a bit too 'Honda' but it'll grow on you; they actually have some character. Mine is quite capable of hustling along if you want, but on the other hand just pootling about can be very refreshing and the resulting MPG is fantastic. The storage space in the 'tank' is a brilliant idea and you'll soon wonder what you did without one.

They are the ideal way of getting out of the horsepower rat race. Just let rocket man get on with it and you can relax and enjoy the journey. The tank is a little small, but I'm averaging 72mpg (and most of the time I'm going at the NSL, including motorways) so you can go a fair distance before you need to fill up.

58 minutes ago, hairnet said:

in 23 years 9 hondas 2 kawasakis 2 beemers 2 yamahas

im a fanboi - after more than 200k on hondas id say its more than that :D

In the past I was mainly an Italian and/or Eastern Bloc fan (Moto Guzzi x3, Moto Morini x2, Laverda x1, Benelli x1, MZ x 5, MuZ x1, Minsk x1, IZH x1, Jawa x1, Puch x1, Can-Am Bombardier x1 and shudder BSA x2). But my first 3 bikes were Hondas and there was a 400 four later on. Now-a-days due to not being arsed to travel more than 30 miles to buy a bike I'm stuck with the Big 4 and the previous bike was also a Honda.

All of my previous bikes, bar the Hondas, had some idiosyncratic  trait or other. The Hondas? You climbed on and everything was where you would expect it to be and they worked smoothly and flawless; the build quality was/is second to none but there was absolutely no character. What surprises me with the NC is that it does have character - yes today in 2019 a Honda exists which is more than just a 2 wheeled conveyance.

Incidentally, the previous Honda was a CBF600N as featured above. It was plenty fast enough for me.

My last bike was a CBR600 FX. It was cracking little bike. Super reliable, reasonably comfortable, and in the real world, plenty quick enough for public roads.

Nothing wrong with Hondas in my opinion, although at heart Ive always been a Kawasaki lover, which came from my two stroke days in the 70,s.

I'm not using my Speed Trip, or doing any work on my old CBR 600 because a sodding huge and very beautiful garden spider has built a big web between the two and has taken up residence in the o/s air intake of the latter. I'm a casual environmentalist and fan of interesting wildlife plus they are one of the few native species which can inflict a nasty bite so I'm using the 'Cow instead (which btw has absolutely nothing to do with the shite weather).

On 10/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, twosmoke300 said:

Well I survived my trackday ! 

Great fun lapping two panigales on track ? they had tyre warmers the lot too .?

Cannot get over how good my 300 quid thundercat is . Didn’t feel the need to adjust a single thing . Brakes and suspension felt spot on esp in the damp . 

Bridgestone BT016 tyres seem pretty bloody good too.

Donington is a great track too imo. Better than Mallory , Pembrey an Llandow I had some before. 

As you may have guessed - I’m buzzing ! Enduro this weekend ?

I really fancy dipping my toe into a track day, I'm pretty near Bedford autodrome which does the odd road bike track day where no one in the novice excuse could moan about being suprised by a rolling roadblock like myself. Has anyone ridden around there?

The biggest issue is I'd need some leathers, but being 6ft 3 / 110kg finding some second hand might be an issue, and given they'd be worn only a couple of times new doesn't appeal.

looking for accessories for the honda (already :D )

handguards ok (although the place online that does only parts for these was 100 quid - found two other sources and 80 quid) - and showing them fitted to this bike -not listed as this but pic of suzuki or kwak or summat

exhaust - found a nice matte stainless for cheap and its not a knock off danmoto one :D

engine bars - found sw motech ones or puig and 120-150

went looking for crash mushrooms and 200+ WTF?

madness

4 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

I really fancy dipping my toe into a track day, I'm pretty near Bedford autodrome which does the odd road bike track day where no one in the novice excuse could moan about being suprised by a rolling roadblock like myself. Has anyone ridden around there?

The biggest issue is I'd need some leathers, but being 6ft 3 / 110kg finding some second hand might be an issue, and given they'd be worn only a couple of times new doesn't appeal.

I've not done Bedford but I know a few lads who have an they said its a decent setup, novices is novices for a reason, I'll guarantee you won't be a roadblock, as for leathers I'm sure there's plenty on ebay or FB marketplace 2nd hand suitable for you, plenty of big blokes out there on bikes, don't forget a back protector too as you really shouldn't TD without one :)

This Sunday’s enduro was a 3 hour slog in some slippy rooty rutted conditions but I didn’t stop for the whole time and came 4th in my class of 12 or so . Loads of people pulled out with personal and bike failures . Good old Honda just keeps on going . Decided to keep it another year ( it’s 2 now ) and spend the money on doing a few more events instead.

Going to watch Weston beach race this Sunday . Few mates are racing it - crazy bastards . 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:37 PM, LostnotFound said:

I really rate the British Suoerbike School who operate out of Blyton Park near Gainsborough. Instructor to pupil rate is one to two. Proper instructors too, not just someone who wants to race his mates all day. 

Cartagena is close to on-track days with some of the Spanish clubs are €70. Shame I've just the Enfield here, but will bring the RC8 out in 2020.

First look at the Tula in daylight:

IMG_1806.thumb.JPG.efd3f894365aeaf01061478ab479820a.JPG

I was worried that it's nose would disintegrate but there's actually still strength in there, aided by the fact that the Iron Curtain steel used in this scooter is like armour plate.

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.036ff526bbd76f322180dc38f57cb22e.JPG

IMG_1807.thumb.JPG.23c4e529fce37c05c7df0d9f8e3cb59c.JPG

IMG_1808.thumb.JPG.efa08ff529fe9347bc09cacf5b60d4f5.JPG

IMG_1805.thumb.JPG.ae5d30d5927d46b3b744cca88f7ad802.JPG

I bet these square tyres were a right laugh*

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.128197fc252fe68fb93438c580c75efc.JPG

Happily it appears to be 99% complete (as opposed to bikes you buy off eBay that are 99% COMPLETE M8). All I've seen that's missing so far are the speedo, HT lead and the points cover.

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.a8ce902c4d397837bf4409d72d6ee3f4.JPG

A bit of sophistication courtesy of the Goggomobil scooter the Russians borrowed* the design from: unlike many scooters (even modern ones) the engine isn't unsprung weight.

IMG_1803.thumb.JPG.b24da2ba57128aa947d5d5bc1207ac02.JPG

The motor turns over and has compression. I'm not going to start it though, I would imagine the crank seals are bolloxed after all this time. First job will be to pull the motor out and rebuild it with new seals and bearings (not Russian ones!). Overall I think this is as good as it could have been considering the nature of how I bought it... very pleased.