The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Just in case someone here might be interested,  I've recently been recommissioning my Norton Commando 850 Interstate (1973) with the view to selling her.  I restored and semi-customised her in 2011.  The style I sought was of an update to the original Norton 750cc fastback model. .  
P1050806a.thumb.jpg.e63757c8007d110e30b6d5f293f92fc4.jpg
The seat and fastback tail are interchangeable with the standard seat, and of course the BMW Touring panniers fit with either. .
P1320616.thumb.jpg.6037c77a80e5936ee6454f1b086f4134.jpg
There are dozens of changes, which if you're interested are surmised in my for sale advert on Car & Classics  here > 
Pete.

Those panniers suit it surprisingly well. Nice neat job. Hope it sells well.

I'm currently in central Portugal (sort of) and today rode the N103. followed by the N206 and N304. The stretch of the N304 south out of Mondim de Basto is one of the greatest roads I've ridden in my life.

Even on my 25 bhp Himalayan I could keep up with a bunch of French registered Ducati's on the N103 this morning-only on the longer uphill straights did they get away.

Depends on the shape dunnit!

I had a Keith Gold size 5 which would happily take a pair of full-faced helmets and was 65l. So I reckon 32l should see you home and dry. Alternatively get a smaller head.

Reviews say it won't: https://www.amazon.com/SHAD-D0B26100-SH26-Top-Case/dp/B008N6R6JQ#customerReviews

Come to think of it, my BMW top case is 35l and barely takes a large full lid unless you put in in a certain way. Mind you, it's a stupid shape.

HEID! PAPER! NOW!

5000 kms done on the Himalayan over the last three weeks through Spain, France, Spain Portugal and Spain (again). Been riding with bikes that are 600cc and 100 BHP more, but it has held its own through the twists and turns (we dont do motorways).

4 days off of the bike now at a mates place near Mojacar-bike is booked in for a service on Monday (1000 kms over the recommended interval).

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

Look like I’m doing a trackday on Tuesday . Donnington GP ?

First one for about 15 yrs and never done one on a thundercat or at Donnington . Ahh well 

Take some bottle that, admire anyone who can use motorbikes properly. 

I’m only in the wobbly nobbers group . Got moved up to inters when I was on my sv650 . But a few years ago now . 

Missing an enduro race this weekend to have a go at hillclimbing .

Enduro next weekend , watching Weston beach race on the 20th and trail riding in Devon the weekend after that . October is bikey 

9 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Look like I’m doing a trackday on Tuesday . Donnington GP ?

First one for about 15 yrs and never done one on a thundercat or at Donnington . Ahh well 

Hope the weather is decent as a wet greasy Donnigton isn't a lot of fun, I've done a few track days on the bike this year and have been really lucky with the weather, only had one damp first session at Anglesey, I've been trying to justify another couple of days but it's a lot of money if its pissing down and I can't really afford the bike hire again as my SX is too much hard work on track and I don't want to bin it!

Well I survived my first Hillclimb .

Didnt look a total idiot . Improved my times too .Started as a 31.98 . Ended up just in the 27’s which I was bloody happy with .

The bike I was on was doing 24.12 in the hands of its owner mind ! 

To be fair he’s ex national champ and current record holder where we were.

Quick bit of van prep today and load up for Donnington ?

Luckily my enduro bike is all prepped and ready to go for this weekends race 

5 hours ago, bangernomics said:

Yesterday in Portugal a little 2 stroke madness happened.

Was in Northern and Central Portugal last week. Must have seen about 20 Zundapp 2 strokes parked up at vineyards in Duoro. They look and sound great, and one is now on my list of bike to own.

Also the wine from Duoro is all that bit sweeter thanks to two stroke exhaust fumes.

Well I survived my trackday ! 

Great fun lapping two panigales on track ? they had tyre warmers the lot too .?

Cannot get over how good my 300 quid thundercat is . Didn’t feel the need to adjust a single thing . Brakes and suspension felt spot on esp in the damp . 

Bridgestone BT016 tyres seem pretty bloody good too.

Donington is a great track too imo. Better than Mallory , Pembrey an Llandow I had some before. 

As you may have guessed - I’m buzzing ! Enduro this weekend ?

10 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Well I survived my trackday ! 

Great fun lapping two panigales on track ? they had tyre warmers the lot too .?

Cannot get over how good my 300 quid thundercat is . Didn’t feel the need to adjust a single thing . Brakes and suspension felt spot on esp in the damp . 

Bridgestone BT016 tyres seem pretty bloody good too.

Donington is a great track too imo. Better than Mallory , Pembrey an Llandow I had some before. 

As you may have guessed - I’m buzzing ! Enduro this weekend ?

I bought a Thundercat from here on behalf of a mate at work. Flew to Glasgow to pick it up, and by the time I rode it the 400 miles home, bonded with it. I was disappointed when my mate gave me the money for it, as by then I hoped he would pull out of the deal.

Recently had BT016's fitted to my KTM. Excellent grip wet and dry, and last very well (mine have done 3000 miles and look like they will go another 3000). Recommended.

I didn't like Donnington, but they may have been down to the Trackday "organisers" and their instructors who just wanted to race their mates all day and to ignore their own track rules, especially the ones regarding overtaking into bends. Twats.

Good luck with the endure.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, Jerzy Woking said:

Having my bike serviced-shop has the new Indian FTR 1200 in the showroom. Looks great.

But WTF is the rear plate hanger all about?

20191007_111344.jpg

Plate hanger is grim, as was the one on my MT09, it was the first thing I removed, its still hanging on the garage wall even though the bike is long gone!

Before

QN2ys9r.jpg

After

EVbc5EP.jpg

On 9/3/2019 at 10:35 PM, stereotype said:

I was told I HAD to drag the rear brake on corners instead of using throttle control and had to indicate off the roundabout. I tried to reach both but slipped off the rear brake and ended up in a hedge because I couldn't let go of the throttle quick enough.

The day after I had a different instructor who actually listened and let me figure out throttle sensitivity and then go out on it that way because the previous instructor just didn't get that I couldn't physically reach both even on a 50cc scooter. Thankfully the second instructor who took me out for my cbt ride actually let me practice a different way of riding as a solution.

Now I have to figure out how to make the bike I have fit me, it's about 2 inches too tall in seat height, the switches are about half an inch off the end of my thumb, and the levers don't adjust round enough and can't tighten for less travel enough so I physically can't get my finger tips around them at their position and travel distance

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if I responded to this or not, rebuilt/upgraded the PC and still in the process of transferring over all my logins etc.

I've never heard of having to drag a rear brake on a corner, particularly if leaning over - sounds like a bloody silly idea to me?

Are the instructors really that useless?

I presume the rear plate thing is due to some type approval blah which says the rear lights and plate must be rearward of the wheel.

Obviously they know 99% of them get binned immediately, I know Yamaha sell the tail tidy as an aftermarket part for the MT series.