The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I know this has been discussed previously, but i was just looking on scumtree at sub-£1 bikes and there seems to be a glut of good stuff. Bandits, VFRs, FZRs etc. Anyone looking right now appears have a buyers market.
I look regularly and havent seen so many for so long.
https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=motorbikes-scooters&search_location=caldicot&seller_type=private&q=&distance=75&min_price=&max_price=1000
Sub £1, fuck that is mega cheap!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

On 8/20/2019 at 6:05 PM, doug said:

Tried to sell the BMW R1100GS I bought in June on ebay. A couple of people were interested then disappeared. No problem, happens all the time. Wrong time of year to sell a touring bike I suppose. So put it up on Gumtree only for the advert to be rejected. It turns out its recorded as stolen in April !!! Just hoping that their records are out of date/wrong. I got the V5 from  DVLA no problem and also got it insured no problem. Surely if it was stolen I would not have got the V5 and the insurer would have noticed? I ran a check via Mycarcheck.com and they confirmed it is flagging up as stolen.They are investigating and say they will get back to me.Not going out on it till its cleared up in case I get pulled and its inpounded as well as me along with it. Happy days.

Eventually the stolen marker got removed somehow. I suppose I will never find out the true story. But got shit service from Mycarcheck.com. They were not interested and would not even reply to my emails. Got more help and advice for free from HPI. Lesson learned.

After poking around the MoT site it turns out my first ever bike, an MT50 bought brand new from Palin’s in Derby in 88, just up from the spot, was till on the road in 2014 so decent chance E660DRB is in a shed somewhere, would love to hear if anyone knows anything about it.

There was a rather small chap locally that used to run around on a Hongdu 125 (Honda CG125 clone). He was very small indeed, must have been very close to five feet tall.
Are you looking at scooters mainly or motorcycles? 
Mainly motorcycles, I don't find scooters as fun, especially twist and go

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse here but why would she be required to put on the brakes and use the indicator switch at the same time?
Assuming this is mainly low speed off-road training, there shouldn't be any need to have both brake levers gripped and pulled before turning on the indicators?
If the tutor is knowledgeable, I'd expect them to be able to give advice or a practical solution.  I'd be expecting a scenario where you signal your intention, then apply the brakes once you've selected the direction indicator?
I'd imagine this would be a bit like driving a car, changing gear and at the same time trying to put on your indicators? 
I was told I HAD to drag the rear brake on corners instead of using throttle control and had to indicate off the roundabout. I tried to reach both but slipped off the rear brake and ended up in a hedge because I couldn't let go of the throttle quick enough.

The day after I had a different instructor who actually listened and let me figure out throttle sensitivity and then go out on it that way because the previous instructor just didn't get that I couldn't physically reach both even on a 50cc scooter. Thankfully the second instructor who took me out for my cbt ride actually let me practice a different way of riding as a solution.

Now I have to figure out how to make the bike I have fit me, it's about 2 inches too tall in seat height, the switches are about half an inch off the end of my thumb, and the levers don't adjust round enough and can't tighten for less travel enough so I physically can't get my finger tips around them at their position and travel distance

A MSX 125 (aka  Grom), a Cub or a Monkey Bike may be suitable (but expensive) - see here https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles.html  (models - 125cc). The newer Hondas have the indicator switch in a slightly different place (lower) than older ones which may help.
As twosmoke300 says the indicators will be on the left on 'modern' bikes  but twist and goes may have the rear brake lever in place of a clutch so it could prove a problem when indicating and slowing at the same time. Obviously geared bikes will have the clutch lever on the left and as the lever isn't used all the time there should be the opportunity to use the indicator switch whilst not using the clutch.
The Honda scooter I was on for cbt had the switch closer to my knee than my hand tbh, that's why I'm looking at bikes more than scooters, so I can do one thing at once with each limb and not have to do absolutely everything with my left hand.

I would also like to look into older bikes anyway, old cruisers are generally the only bikes with ideal seat height, look beautiful, centre of gravity etc. I am looking at throwing together my mum's old Honda 250 Rebel because if it fits her it's going to fit me, but it's mainly a job for now just throwing together a bike I can use and take to a carpark and actually get on a geared bike I fit on so I can learn the rhythm of that next.

I'll have a look at smaller bikes you've suggested, thanks for letting me know it's maybe just the new Honda thing that made indicators the bane of my life this time round

13 hours ago, stereotype said:

I would also like to look into older bikes anyway,

Moto Guzzi V50's and Moto Morini 3 1/2's have low seats, plenty of character and are considerably more reliable than common mythology suggests.

(Incidentally there are also V35's and Morini 250's available as well but these are quite rare).

I've had the VFR for a couple of months now, and it has proved itself a worthy bike. Some fettling must take place, however, so I've experimented with the suspension. There was some cupping in the rear tyre, and the damping of the rear shock was adjusted all the way up, so I turned it back down to maybe get rid of any cupping tendencies. I guess some previous owner had misunderstood the effect of the damping screw and just wanted to "tighten it up", which effectively has the opposite result, and makes the rear wheel lethargic re/ the road surface. I also adjusted the preload on the front and back (rear was closer to "low" while the front preload was tightened all the way to high).

These bikes suffer from rectifier issues, so I installed a USB socket with a voltage display on the bike. I used a fuse holder that taps into an existing fused circuit, and using the headlight circuit the display now turns on when the ignition is turned on. It's actually very useful to have, and I've already noticed that while the voltage is a nice 14.4V when idling cold, it starts to drop when the bike warms up, and can actually drop below 13V when warm and with lights on, so I'm going to do something about that at some point.

While I was installing the socket I had to move the speedo cable a bit to get around it, and as expected, I was greeted with a non-functional speedometer when I was done with the install. Bugger. So I googled the cable and speedo drive parts. Images suggested that the cable itself is similar to what's in those Dremel extension thingies, so I figured that the cable end had most likely backed out of its slot in the gauge, as this can happen with the Dremel thingy too. I removed the speedo drive from the socket cover, turned the cable by hand gently while pulling and pushing the cable, and finally noticed the speedo needle jumping a bit, so I assumed that the cable was now back in its happy slot in the speedo. I replaced the speedo drive making sure not to pull back on the cable, and the speedo works again. Woohoo!

I'm definitely not touching that speedo cable again unless I absolutely have to.

vfrDSC_0801_sm.jpg

40a7da9e058c6dc671058bc7f5d7a16f.jpg

I’ve bought this thing, right before I emigrate, and before I’ve sold this

e79aab47cc121e598d1f959976c1a09b.jpg

Because stupid.

Before I give in and eBay the townmate does anyone on here fancy it for my blow my brains out £700? If you’re within 50 ish miles I’ll deliver and if not it’ll cost some moneys for me to bring it or you can collect and be an adventurous hero.
More info on the townmate please, the old man might* be interested

*Be warned, his interest rarely turns into spending actual cash money

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

Tell me more.

Mind you I still have to find someone gullible to take on the Hyosung

dec 07 mot till may (i think without checking)

clean - chap had bought it for his lad to do his test on - passed - he then went and bought yzr 125 :D

i needed something quick and it was cheap done 25k miles

only scabby bit on it is the headlight rim - chap had been doing it up although didnt look like it needed it - handily he gave me one - a headlight (fnarr) and some clock surrounds (!)

fairly fresh front and he put a rear on and some rear pads for the mot he said - he said he serviced it few months ago - chap had big triumph in garage so no reason to doubt him

oh and its EFI - no fucking about with carbs and shit on cold mornings - the second reason it was bought

Would anyone be keen on my SV650?

It's just not getting used, probably done 100 miles or less since MOT in April. W835VRE for checkage.

50ish k miles, runs great but the choke plungers are seized so no choke. Still starts in sub zero temperatures with a bit of throttle, you just have to hold it on for 20 seconds or so from cold.

Yellow, naked version. Has been a cat D in the past and has a tank dent and bar scrapes to show it.

£700? Can get pics for anyone interested.

Location West Yorkshire, J25 M62.

Hi fellow bike shiters, thought I'd let you have a look at the latest 1970 's CZ shite added to my little collection, I'm supposed to be reducing the two wheel tat but I couldn't resist it. Wifey person is bliss fully unaware at the moment, it's hiding in the back of my van, will have to wait for cover of darkness to transfer to already choc a block garage.....

s-l1600 (13).jpg

Oh yes size matters, 21" . Its a 175 trail and boasts the correct 482 prefix to the engine and frame. Sorry to be so such a geek but they are a bit of a passion with me, just love the shite ness of them, not much love for them in the 80's and 90's but got a bit of a following now.

Did a collectionz today-boring drive around the M25, on to the M4 and Seven Bridge to a village near Chepstow. 

20190909_191832.thumb.jpg.182e01a01bfe86cb906fb9c5e31cd57b.jpg

I've been looking for an RC8R for a while, and seen some good bikes that were severely overpriced.

So when I saw this black one for sale, near full original spec with all original parts. No loud exhaust, no Power Commander, just a few bolt on bits.

The town it was being sold from rang a bell. Then found that the seller was the same bloke that sold me my orange RC8 2 years ago. So that put my mind at rest, as a perfectly sound and honest bloke. 

Taking it out for a proper thrash tomorrow.