The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

10 minutes ago, hairnet said:

due to issues this might be happening

s-l1600.jpg

That's brilliant! I've been looking at this generation of Versys on/off for a few years already, but didn't want to spend quite as much as they command around here. If I hadn't chanced on the VFR, I'd probably still be looking.

Let us know how it goes man.

50 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Very capable bikes

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, shoddybanger said:

That's brilliant! I've been looking at this generation of Versys on/off for a few years already, but didn't want to spend quite as much as they command around here. If I hadn't chanced on the VFR, I'd probably still be looking.

Let us know how it goes man.

bought a very early 56 plate in 2009 and put 40k on it in two years

its still going and theyve only done another 13k :D

the only issues they have is the exhaust cos of where it is and stick coils

cos theyre in the head they split and cause misfires

DSC_0056.jpg

cant find the pic of it in bits at the side of the N4 in ireland but it was on that trip :D

thats the long womans grave at omeath www.irishphotorally.ie

edit found it :D

DSC_0260.jpg

I did my DAS on a 650 Versys - lovely thing to ride. I was looking for one when I found the GS, but couldn’t find one that matched the GS for cost/mileage/age.

Out in the Balkans at the moment-fantastic weather, great places visited (and more to come) and, of course, brilliant roads too.

Quick blast along the runway at the abandoned (because of bombing in the 90's) airbase near Bihac. 

And the RC8 is admirable doing a bit of off roading too.20190820_125828.thumb.jpg.0f9784377bb9212765820045bc5b8b49.jpg

20190820_113104.jpg

15 hours ago, 83C said:

I did my DAS on a 650 Versys - lovely thing to ride. I was looking for one when I found the GS, but couldn’t find one that matched the GS for cost/mileage/age.

I did my test on a Kawi er650n around 2008. Seems like driving schools like the 650 Kawi platform.

The first gen versys' (versi?) sell for around 3500 eur here, and not very many for sale. Generally speaking, dual sport/adventure bikes generally seem to keep their value better than sport/touring bikes.

Do any verging on midget people (5ft with sub 2inches of thumb) recommend any mods or bikes themselves I might be able to get on with? Attempted taking my cbt today and no bikes were the right size, the smallest scooter they have still has the indicators about half an inch from where I need them to be to reach over and indicate to the left. Went on the road and had too many signalling errors due to not being able to flick it left to demonstrate that I can control a bike.

If anyone has any suggestions so that I can feel less defeated and like my body isn't everything wrong with me ever, that would be nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stereotype said:

Do any verging on midget people (5ft with sub 2inches of thumb) recommend any mods or bikes themselves I might be able to get on with? Attempted taking my cbt today and no bikes were the right size, the smallest scooter they have still has the indicators about half an inch from where I need them to be to reach over and indicate to the left. Went on the road and had too many signalling errors due to not being able to flick it left to demonstrate that I can control a bike.

If anyone has any suggestions so that I can feel less defeated and like my body isn't everything wrong with me ever, that would be nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There was a rather small chap locally that used to run around on a Hongdu 125 (Honda CG125 clone). He was very small indeed, must have been very close to five feet tall.

Are you looking at scooters mainly or motorcycles? 

9 hours ago, gtd2000 said:

There was a rather small chap locally that used to run around on a Hongdu 125 (Honda CG125 clone). He was very small indeed, must have been very close to five feet tall.

Are you looking at scooters mainly or motorcycles? 

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

Oh and van van 125/200 are a good shout for shorties that don’t want to go down the tragic custom route

She has a Suzuki 125 in the garage, the current issue is doing cbt, the range of bikes they have on offer are very limited so she ended up on a scooter yesterday.

The main issue is getting to the indicator while braking at the same time. 

Curse of the small hand.

14 hours ago, stereotype said:

Do any verging on midget people (5ft with sub 2inches of thumb) recommend any mods or bikes themselves I might be able to get on with? 

A MSX 125 (aka  Grom), a Cub or a Monkey Bike may be suitable (but expensive) - see here https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles.html  (models - 125cc). The newer Hondas have the indicator switch in a slightly different place (lower) than older ones which may help.

As twosmoke300 says the indicators will be on the left on 'modern' bikes  but twist and goes may have the rear brake lever in place of a clutch so it could prove a problem when indicating and slowing at the same time. Obviously geared bikes will have the clutch lever on the left and as the lever isn't used all the time there should be the opportunity to use the indicator switch whilst not using the clutch.

Forgive me if I'm being obtuse here but why would she be required to put on the brakes and use the indicator switch at the same time?

Assuming this is mainly low speed off-road training, there shouldn't be any need to have both brake levers gripped and pulled before turning on the indicators? ?

If the tutor is knowledgeable, I'd expect them to be able to give advice or a practical solution.  I'd be expecting a scenario where you signal your intention, then apply the brakes once you've selected the direction indicator?

I'd imagine this would be a bit like driving a car, changing gear and at the same time trying to put on your indicators? 

Each to their own I'd say, I hate ADV bike riders for no reason whatsoever other than they get in the fucking way all the time carrying their sandwiches to work in 600 litre panniers, at least the Goldwing/Trailer combo's usually just sit in traffic with the cars.

I know this has been discussed previously, but i was just looking on scumtree at sub-£1 bikes and there seems to be a glut of good stuff. Bandits, VFRs, FZRs etc. Anyone looking right now appears have a buyers market.

I look regularly and havent seen so many for so long.

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=motorbikes-scooters&search_location=caldicot&seller_type=private&q=&distance=75&min_price=&max_price=1000