The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Today, taking advantage of a glimmer of enthusiasm to do something, I took a closer look at what may be required to get my Peugeot moped running after its 25+ years sleep.  I knew the engine had compression because I had turned it by hand about once per year.  I wanted to check the ignition/magneto but could not find my two legged puller or the special extractor to remove the flywheel.  Oh well.  Let's remove the plug and see if it has a spark.  Much to my surprise, it had a fairly healthy looking spark.  I had nothing to lose by putting a bit of 2stroke mix in the tank and getting my son to whirl the pedals.  Nothing.  Not even a cough.  Investigating the fuel system (gravity fed from the tank via a shut-off valve), no fuel was getting to the carb.  Indeed, no fuel was passing through the valve or even coming out of the tank outlet with the fuel pipe removed.  A cycle tyre pump eventually managed to blow bubbles in the tank, though actual flow from the tank was still limited to an occasional drip.  More blowing and tank agitation fractionally improved matters.  With fuel reconnected, a number of attempts were made to see if the engine would cough or start.  Neither occurred.  My son declared himself exhausted from the exertion (he had just cycled 20 miles back from work) and we thus called it a day.  I will dismantle and clean the fuel system before trying again, son permitting.  Age and decrepitude have rendered me incapable of starting a 50cc moped.  Life....muttering....etc. ?.  

On 7/5/2019 at 2:04 AM, Nyphur said:

This time last year you couldn't have done a thing to stop me going out and razzing about on my bike. I was going to say "come rain, wind, or shine", but last summer was pretty much just shine.
This year... I couldn't care less about going out on the same bike. I've been for the odd pootle about down my favourite road, and been noticeably quicker (so I'm making progress at least in my riding ability), but I've pretty much 0% enthusiasm. Not sure where my mojo has gone, or how to get it back, but at the moment my bike is pretty much a £3k ornament. 

I blame you having a competent working bike. If it was knackered all you'd do is get pangs on jealousy every time you saw anyone else making the most of the summer.

I managed to get out on the VFR earlier which behaved itself for once. It some ways it was a real mistake, had a cracking time and it reminded my how much I enjoy riding it so really don't want to scrap it just as I'm lazy. Fuck knows how I'll get it through an MOT let alone work out a plan to smuggle it into Denmark. I wonder if Danish ebay has vin plates for sale....

As a brain fart has anyone tried any of these sort of things? It would appear more tempting than trying to find a non fucked model specific dash.

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauges-c4/motorcycle-gauges-c27/multifunction-gauges-c29/koso-db-01rn-multifunction-gauge-best-seller-compact-design-complete-with-speed-sensor-p5

koso-db-01rn-multifunction-gauge-best-se

Look at this tit . Finally got leathers that fit ! Just gotta break em in now .

Track day here I come ! Whoop whoop 

Put ebc pads In the cat today , what a difference to the kyoto junk in their before . Had a fiddle with the suspension because the new pads showed up a lot of brake dive . Turns out it had been set up super soft up front and stiff out back . All balanced up now and much nicer . 

So happy with this cheap old bike , got the bug again .

AF385832-B280-4C1A-BD09-7D0458D903F2.jpeg

Got the replacement gearbox fitted to the POS BMW and took it for a test run. The gearbox is fine but the bike runs like shite. I found one of the throttle stop screws missing. No problem I can pinch one off the spares I bought yesterday. Googled how to set it and all sorts of warnings not to touch these screws as they are factory set. This bike is fighting me all the way. Luckily I dont give up easily. To be continued....

ATGATT!

DSCF1871.thumb.JPG.c7fefafd83040f85e24c5ec4c45d8387.JPG

Me on my first bike, back in 2011.  I made sure to say goodbye to everybody (including the dog), before venturing out on the Yamaha of nearly a dozen horsepowers.  Did not die, but the kit saved my bacon when I crashed at a track day a few years later (not on the Yam, of course :) ).

On 7/5/2019 at 2:04 AM, Nyphur said:

This time last year you couldn't have done a thing to stop me going out and razzing about on my bike. I was going to say "come rain, wind, or shine", but last summer was pretty much just shine.
This year... I couldn't care less about going out on the same bike. I've been for the odd pootle about down my favourite road, and been noticeably quicker (so I'm making progress at least in my riding ability), but I've pretty much 0% enthusiasm. Not sure where my mojo has gone, or how to get it back, but at the moment my bike is pretty much a £3k ornament. 

There's no easy answer to that one... I don't suppose it helps that we're into July and it's still mostly pissing down. I suspect this kind of boredom is what convinces some riders to keep buying progressively larger, more powerful machines, thinking that more speed will bring back the magic.

Sorry I can't offer any practical suggestions - whenever this sort of thing strikes me I end up selling whatever I'm currently riding and going back to the Helix.

12 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

I bought one when they were £20 each. Had it about a year now and it's still intact and water resistant (rather than waterproof).

Has lasted longer than the £70 Knox I had, that was no better than a £5 rucksack from the market.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

I bought one when they were £20 each. Had it about a year now and it's still intact and water resistant (rather than waterproof).

Has lasted longer than the £70 Knox I had, that was no better than a £5 rucksack from the market.

It arrived, it's massive. 

Anyway, CBT no.

Licence no

Theory test on Saturday, but 9am.

insurance renewal came through

this year it was 192 inc ££ for paying on the drip (conventient)

renewal 288 - hahahahaha fuuuuuuck off

mileage still lots but 3 points have expired and the value of the bike has come down

first 3 quotes - 106 109 110 :D

bought the 106 one but protected no claims (its been 18 years :D )

118 - rang bennetts and told them 'oh lets see if i can reduce it'

no insurer ever has ever been able to beat someone elses quote

they got 246 - which was politely declined

madness - and it happens every year

7 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Yep, loyalty is for mugs. I've even 'switched' to the same company before now, when they've sent me an outlandish renewal and I've subsequently got a better price for the same policy from a comparison website.

i think in more than 20 years ive gone only twice with same insurer after a renewal

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, warch said:

I'm going bike shopping soon, as my existing moto has reached such an impressive level of shyte that replacement tyres, chain, sprockets, clutch and fork seals are required, there's a nasty oil leak somewhere behind the engine, the fairing is held together with tape, it has a cracked screen and speedometer, flaking wheels and semi operative brakes. Basically I've pretty well got my money's worth out of it. 

I have a nominal budget of up to 2 and a half grand but no doubt my ancestral Scotsman will rise from my subconscious and I'll end up spending about half that. Or spend a hundred quid or so rectifying enough faults on the Honda to get another years ticket like I've done for the past five years.

I went to a bike showroom at the weekend, didn't really fancy anything in my price range (some really rather unloved looking bikes), including a rather sad Triumph Speed Four which I might have considered at say 1800 quid but looked expensive at 2400. 

Went on ebay instead and viewed a bike today which I have agreed to buy at the 1100 quid asking price....

I will post pictures up if it makes it back from the vendor's place to chez warch without blowing up, breaking down or powerwheelie-ing through a hedge.

Well after a ten year slumber and a head rebuild it’s alive!

Brothers 750 lives again . The engine sounds horrible on video but it’s quite sweet apart from the baffles being shot in the silences.

hes so happy bless him 

E5DF0D1E-E79D-4390-B38A-1D49B108C7A7.jpeg

I'm selling my 1979 MZ 250 Supa5, might be a bit much for autoshite tho,looking for £900. Re insurance,just had the same with Carole gash for my daily MZ ETZ,last year was £118 Tpft with 180 excess.this year,now having 3 years ncb and owning it another year,£147 with 325 excess!

switched it to my other insurer for £110 fully come with £150 excess.

5 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

I'm selling my 1979 MZ 250 Supa5, might be a bit much for autoshite tho,looking for £900.

I'm in no position to buy this but I would urge anyone else to do as they are flippin' ace. My old Supa5 is the bike I look back on with the most fondness - particularly if the Pneumants have been dumped (which I guess they have been).

This advice is totally impartial and I expect no commission.

Probably been asked before but here goes. Oil for my RE 650 Interceptor should be 10w50 but dealer put 10w40 in at service. It was free as negotiated in price so was ok with it, ish!
Now 1k later I think I'll change it, got Silkolene 10w50 coming and a filter of course.
What oils does everyone use?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk