The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

23 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

The Speedo on Hagar doesnt work at all - the trip counter does, but the total counter and dial never have ( and its speedo number  in the bikes life)

Originally I was using a mobile phone, but it was just crap and hard to see - this actually works quite well and had it going yesterday in the Picasso and was pretty accurate ( or at least as accurate as the Picasso speedo is)

65524251_1197900640398171_52851839375119

One thing I will say is it is NOT battery powered  - the inaccurately labelled "charging port" is actually its power port, no power, no workie. You can run it from a power bank, or install a USB socket like wot I did last week

That's a handy-looking gizmo Marty, I can think of a use for one of those. Where d'you get it?

EDIT: Scratch that - just read the post above!

What was the detailling like? I mentioned a few pages ago that I was looking at one at the NEC Bike Show and some of the finishing was disappointing - eg the indicator lens didn't line up with the plastic chrome body. Someone I know suggested that these were pre-production models and certain rough edges would be ironed out before sale to the public.
On mine I'd say pretty good. OK the indicators are plastic chrome and the headlight shell is unlikely to make it to vintage but overall good.
Brakes are Bybre (Indian Brembo) and come with braided lines. Rims are Excel, stainless spokes and Indian made hubs. Paint is excellent as is the frame welding, no snot.
For me the only dodgy detail is the L/H footrest hanger. Looks like they forgot about it until the week before launch and got a first year apprentice to cast something to fit. "Doesn't matter what it looks like".

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Question on Tyres

Dunlop K82 is said to be a universal front or rear tyre < here >  but I more often see it being advertised as a rear tyre.  I need a front tyre 4.60x16" for my Sunbeam.  Anyone know where I might find out if it is suitable for use on the front ?  or are there universal variants as well and rear only tyres. ?   

Thanks

Just searched and found the Dunlop website  which says :

F/R SIZE DESCRIPTION   L/S TT/TL    CODE PRODUCT
Front/Rear 18 2.75-18 42S  TT K82   42S TT 651016
Front/Rear 18 3.00-18 47S  TT K82   47S TT 651018
Front/Rear 18 3.25-18 52S TT K82   52S TT 651023
Front/Rear 18 3.50-18 56S TT K82   56S TT 651027
Rear 16 4.60-16 59S TT K82   59S TT 651038

3 hours ago, Bfg said:

Question on Tyres

Dunlop K82 is said to be a universal front or rear tyre < here >  but I more often see it being advertised as a rear tyre.  I need a front tyre 4.60x16" for my Sunbeam.  Anyone know where I might find out if it is suitable for use on the front ?  or are there universal variants as well and rear only tyres. ?   

Thanks

Just searched and found the Dunlop website  which says :

F/R SIZE DESCRIPTION   L/S TT/TL    CODE PRODUCT
Front/Rear 18 2.75-18 42S  TT K82   42S TT 651016
Front/Rear 18 3.00-18 47S  TT K82   47S TT 651018
Front/Rear 18 3.25-18 52S TT K82   52S TT 651023
Front/Rear 18 3.50-18 56S TT K82   56S TT 651027
Rear 16 4.60-16 59S TT K82   59S TT 651038

can you not email dunlop uk and see what they say?

I'm going bike shopping soon, as my existing moto has reached such an impressive level of shyte that replacement tyres, chain, sprockets, clutch and fork seals are required, there's a nasty oil leak somewhere behind the engine, the fairing is held together with tape, it has a cracked screen and speedometer, flaking wheels and semi operative brakes. Basically I've pretty well got my money's worth out of it. 

I have a nominal budget of up to 2 and a half grand but no doubt my ancestral Scotsman will rise from my subconscious and I'll end up spending about half that. Or spend a hundred quid or so rectifying enough faults on the Honda to get another years ticket like I've done for the past five years.

Also some alright on el Gumtree, especially in that budget. I'm looking for a 125 for a couple hundred quid so I can learn and do test on so my fixing of my mum's 86 Rebel isn't just for the internet and I actually get use out of it, excited for some bike collection thread action

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, pilninggas said:

can you not email dunlop uk and see what they say?

Have done, but am awaiting their reply so in the meantime wondered if y'all had direct experience of why a tyre is designated rear.   I suspect., because of that designation, any Dunlop engineer, whatever he might actually think, will have to support that ..for fear getting their corporate arse kicked in the event of accident, etc.   

38 minutes ago, warch said:

I have a nominal budget of up to 2 and a half grand 

13 plate cb500f will be for sale in september 54k had fork seals and a service last month for mot.

needs front tyre (done this week as will be going scotland and ireland on it in july) rear tyre fitted in november last year and done about 4k on it (pirelli)

plastics scruffy but have a set of tank panels and side panels new OEM honda to go with it - as reported in here it fell over on a stena boat and broke the peg and bent the handlebars - replaced with OEM from honda once i got the money

itll also get a new shock and rear brake pedal (bent from stamping on it) and bar ends as the bar end disappeared when i arrived at six cyls a few weeks ago

wouldnt be anywhere near 2  and half grand

17 hours ago, Bfg said:

Have done, but am awaiting their reply so in the meantime wondered if y'all had direct experience of why a tyre is designated rear.   I suspect., because of that designation, any Dunlop engineer, whatever he might actually think, will have to support that ..for fear getting their corporate arse kicked in the event of accident, etc.   

Exactly as anticipated ..

"Thank you for your e-mail.

You are correct we do make some K82 tyres which are universal which are approved for both front and rear.

There are occasions however within our vintage range that tyres after design and testing should only be fitted to a specific position. In the case of the 4.60-16 59S TT K82 - this tyre  is advised as rear only.  Sadly we would not be able to approve a product for use outside its tested design specification.

Peter Wayte
Senior Advisor

Technical Customer Support & Service
Goodyear Dunlop Tyres UK Ltd

Interestingly Avon tyres on their website say that although they do not recommend fitting their tyres on the other wheel (front to back, or back to front) if you do so - then reverse their direction of rotation.

14 hours ago, Bfg said:

....fitting their tyres on the other wheel (front to back, or back to front) if you do so - then reverse their direction of rotation.

^^^^ Plenty of sidecarists know this.

I've had Dunlop K82s on MZs and they were obviously a lot skinnier. 2.75 x 18 front and 3.50 x 16 rear. They had two arrows in opposite directions - one for front front and one for rear. IIRC they weren't next to each other but on different sides, so you had to be awake whilst fitting them! So I don't see what is so magical about the 4.60 x 16 rear that makes it irreversible and only recommended for rear use. If was set on getting Dunlops, I'd just do that.

Is there any reason not to go for a Avon SAFETY MILEAGE C MKII in 5.00 x 16 (rear and reverse fit on front)? (£95)

Or Continental K112 universal? (£76)

Or Shinko 270 Super Classics (also universal)? 

Or fit some tube tyre variants of 130/90--B16s?

Thanks EH,  that was useful.

Shame I didn't see your post yesterday as I would probably have sought the Conti K112  or a Shinko.   I've given up on Avon since I had two in succession split on me, aside from which the safety-mileage mkii are very heavy.

As it was I had to make a decision and just get on with it,  to get this bike on the road,  so I can do some running-in miles and advertise the bike.   I went for this used Dura Blvd. (below) with 5.5mm tread left and dated 2414, for £30 inc postage.  This front tyre will not look so good on a 1948 Sunbeam but at least it ought to be safe.   I'll don't plan to do more than a hundred gentle-riding miles on the bike before I sell it ..together with its original wheels and museum-piece tyres  ..which are too old to even have date stamps on them.  Thereafter the new owner can chose whatever he likes.   For the back wheel,  I already have a barely used Avon SM MkII which I'll use, together with new Michelin inner tubes (front & rear).  

s-l1600.jpg

P1310678.thumb.JPG.f4b42d23c047002bb254458ac76045b0.JPG

The second set of wheels with those tyres will be fitted to Katie next week.  Seen above with the petrol tank off Nudge as I've been repainting the tank

P1310857.thumb.JPG.6b24c998a9f4fa5be7caaabac97cff71.JPG

^ presently hardening in the summer heat for a few days before I lightly rub it down, compound and polish.  ..my garage notebook  < here >

For the 1953 S7-deluxe Coronation bike that I'm restoring for myself ; the existing tyres are also Avon SM's MkII but dated 1993,  so I'll keep your suggestions on file and buy new tyres for her when close to completion.  But as, at the present rate of things, that may not be for another year or two I'd prefer to wait ..to get as new tyres as practical.  Of course if I can find tyres of the right size  ;  4.50-16 front , 4.75-16 rear then I'll try for those ..if they are not too modern looking.

Thanks again EH.

Bfg.

Spent the last week fixing the clutch on the R1100GS "bargain". Replaced the clutch,push rod ( it was snapped in 2), and clutch thrust bearing. Started it up today and the noise is still there. Must be the gearbox that's fucked. Start stripping it down again tomorrow. Fun fun fun.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Nyphur said:

This time last year you couldn't have done a thing to stop me going out and razzing about on my bike. I was going to say "come rain, wind, or shine", but last summer was pretty much just shine.
This year... I couldn't care less about going out on the same bike. I've been for the odd pootle about down my favourite road, and been noticeably quicker (so I'm making progress at least in my riding ability), but I've pretty much 0% enthusiasm. Not sure where my mojo has gone, or how to get it back, but at the moment my bike is pretty much a £3k ornament. 

Pretty much the same here. Unless i have somewhere specific to go to on a bike, then my bikes get used less and less. Yet when I am out.on the bike, like yesterday, I do enjoy it. I don't know, but maybe commuting 20,000 miles a year for the last 20 years takes the edge off of "popping out on the bike for a couple of hours".

Still looking forward to my ride out to Croatia, followed by another ride to Portugal, so I do have my touring mojo still.

I'm looking for a cheap bike to use as a commuter machine later in the year. I spot a rough but ok GSX600F local to me on eBay at bargainous money. Overkill really for what I want (a 250 maxi scoot would be perfect) but the price is very right. 3 messages over a few days asking the seller if I can come and view - all ignored despite the advert saying 'any questions, please ask'. Someone has now bid on it but only the one bid. I just want to go round there and give it the quick once over before committing - as its so close it'd be daft not to. 

Do people not want to talk to potential buyers?

1 minute ago, 83C said:

I'm looking for a cheap bike to use as a commuter machine later in the year. I spot a rough but ok GSX600F local to me on eBay at bargainous money. Overkill really for what I want (a 250 maxi scoot would be perfect) but the price is very right. 3 messages over a few days asking the seller if I can come and view - all ignored despite the advert saying 'any questions, please ask'. Someone has now bid on it but only the one bid. I just want to go round there and give it the quick once over before committing - as its so close it'd be daft not to. 

Do people not want to talk to potential buyers?

Bid on it.  Win. Go look. Decline to buy as not described. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Bid on it.  Win. Go look. Decline to buy as not described. 

I might, depends on what it goes for. £500 and ahm oot.

hairy avon fitted 

new brakes on back (fuck you caliper bolt hding behind the zorst)

looked at fronts and theyre ok so cleaned caliper

wagons roll week on weds for busy two weeks :D

still not cleaned fingerprints off tank panels when it got plugs and a service the other week :D