The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

14 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

Up to 1k miles on the RE Interceptor on Sun, still loving it. This guy puts why a lot more eloquently than I could.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Riding up to Cooperb Morcycles in Wellingborough tomorrow to get some bits for my Himalayan. 

Going to take a 650 out for a test ride. I do hope I don't like it!!

35 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Yup, Port Muck, Islandmagee

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Don't know why, but I was sure I recognised it, although I haven't been there for years. Nearest thing I ever got to going on holiday when I was a kid was a few days at Browns Bay, Islandmagee. We kipped in the back of Dads van, and Mum cooked for 5 of us on a single ring gas camping stove. It seemed like great fun at the time. 

So finally got around to test riding the RE Continental GT650 today.

The one I rode has 1800 miles on it, so nicely run in, and like my Himalayan, very, very smooth engine. Very little mirror vibration at all, which I now see as essential. Riding position in between that of my Guzzi and my RC8, so that's good, as I can do 800 mile days on those )not at the same time).

Suspension wi need adjusting for me, as a little bit soft which made it a bit wallowy on the back lanes which I rode with enthusiasm. Engine gives a nice blend of torque and power

Bit wheezy up by the red line as it runs out of puff, but really no need to rev it so hard, so tye needle won't see the red line again.  

Overall, impressed, and again, as I was with the with the Himalayan, with the price too. The three year warranty is welcome, but from what I read and hear, few problems have occurred with them, just a few niggles.

Once I get the Ducati 900SS up and running (few piddly jobs to do on it) it will be sold and another RE will take a space in my garage.

The wife's CBR125 had an absolutely rotten downpipe, apparently they all do that.

So I went looking for a new exhaust, with the brief from the Mrs being nothing too loud and looks wise she likes the standard Honda end can.

Black Widow exhausts do a stainless exhaust with an adapter to mate with the standard can, so one of those was ordered yesterday for £74, free delivery too. And amazingly it arrived here in Belfast today.

The finish is perfect, and it fits like a glove. I'm really impressed with the quality of the pipe especially for the money. It was really well packaged, and inside the box were a couple of stickers, a lanyard and fairly decent instructions.

You can see the difference in bore:6f193ba5d3ee72b3447695318e47147c.jpg
7c1f2d24640e85302f9cb3ffc196448b.jpg

Old pipe really was buggered:
eac2f47e300b475a7bf19d74fe9bd3df.jpg

On the bike
3141cff15b883d1f8e5c0aa6e1afd8d5.jpg

6b4c42e4ce3f9668c0a4851224f7abed.jpg

Yes the swinging arm needs painted.......

The Honda end can was a different story, it was in good condition other than the three bolts to mate with the link pipe which all sheared.....and I couldn't get the remains out either ecf52f6f4fe934f4495d079e439942f4.jpg

So I filed them flat, used the black widow flange as a template and drilled new mounting holes, and used some threaded bar and lock nuts to bodge it all together68f8562a9d4cc55ab749abc21cac3e25.jpg

And on the bike

e1d56947d2ded7cdc89775d63b8633d7.jpg

The removable flange is a really neat idea, because with it off you can fit an aftermarket slip-on silencer instead.....

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

So finally got around to test riding the RE Continental GT650 today....

What was the detailling like? I mentioned a few pages ago that I was looking at one at the NEC Bike Show and some of the finishing was disappointing - eg the indicator lens didn't line up with the plastic chrome body. Someone I know suggested that these were pre-production models and certain rough edges would be ironed out before sale to the public.

I managed to score myself some 90's bikeshite yesterday - a 1992 Honda VFR that's in surprisingly good nick. Best part of course is the V4 engine, because it means that I essentially have a two-wheeled Saab 96 now!

It does have a bit of a part-throttle sputter, so I guess I need to take the carbs apart. It hasn't seen much of the road in the past ten years, as the date stamp is 09 on the front tyre and 07 for the rear tyre. Idles very nicely and happily pulls all the way up to the redline, though.

vfrDSC_0615_sm.thumb.jpg.6f988d3b264e03e1535a4ddc8028c5af.jpg

3 hours ago, martc said:

What was the detailling like? I mentioned a few pages ago that I was looking at one at the NEC Bike Show and some of the finishing was disappointing - eg the indicator lens didn't line up with the plastic chrome body. Someone I know suggested that these were pre-production models and certain rough edges would be ironed out before sale to the public.

It was fine-certainly better than some of the CCM's I have seen. However, I think it all depends on the dealer's approach to completing the PDI.

Some dealers seem to slap them together whereas others take their time and sort things out like panel alignment before releasing to the new owner. 

6 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Lovely . If its rides / runs something like it id be inclined to put some good quality fuel system cleaner in the tank and run it a bit to see if it gets better . I would imagine carb removal on that , like all engine jobs on them, is a proper prick of a job.

Thanks for the compliment - and for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought about trying a cleaner first. Indeed, I think I'm just going to throw on a new fuel filter and buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner to see if that helps any.

If like mine, your bike is a bit shit, you might be in needs of something like this:

65318367_1198566630331572_8029218536968683520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeHMyhHmAA2U3vav_KUu_-lQdpiF_MQkstDZsfHHUthyjaD-MqeZDpwod_0zscUMzACjPEVmXdZlGdc4WGJcfPdj55PyMHrB_fffAexU9uXQ5Q&_nc_oc=AQnRM0Abl7p8d4Z1vy0K5B4nN1f_mj3Vmh0BK6sWR4Z_DzyKqYc0OtTMkaIaOIen4hM&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=e903b56e00109d1bb1e60cc2a4ebb004&oe=5D80E96B

The phone app I was using, has its uses, but frankly is a bit pap. It keeps flipping to adverts, so you need to de glove to press the screen to get rid of the adverts. Also the display isn't great to read in sunshine. So this arrived yesterday - £14 off eBay.

The Chinglish instructions were simple enough to understand and sort out the settings.You can have it set up as MPH or KMH and when you stop the display flips to miles travelled then total time travelled in mins.

Its got a little stand that sticks to wherever with a 3M adhesive pad. Its getting a lot of vibration where it is currently so may not stay there forever.

49 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

If like mine, your bike is a bit shit, you might be in needs of something like this:

65318367_1198566630331572_8029218536968683520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeHMyhHmAA2U3vav_KUu_-lQdpiF_MQkstDZsfHHUthyjaD-MqeZDpwod_0zscUMzACjPEVmXdZlGdc4WGJcfPdj55PyMHrB_fffAexU9uXQ5Q&_nc_oc=AQnRM0Abl7p8d4Z1vy0K5B4nN1f_mj3Vmh0BK6sWR4Z_DzyKqYc0OtTMkaIaOIen4hM&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=e903b56e00109d1bb1e60cc2a4ebb004&oe=5D80E96B

The phone app I was using, has its uses, but frankly is a bit pap. It keeps flipping to adverts, so you need to de glove to press the screen to get rid of the adverts. Also the display isn't great to read in sunshine. So this arrived yesterday - £14 off eBay.

The Chinglish instructions were simple enough to understand and sort out the settings.You can have it set up as MPH or KMH and when you stop the display flips to miles travelled then total time travelled in mins.

Its got a little stand that sticks to wherever with a 3M adhesive pad. Its getting a lot of vibration where it is currently so may not stay there forever.

i ordered one of those this morning, as the speedo on my ZX10R is very optimistic. nice to know it works.

The Speedo on Hagar doesnt work at all - the trip counter does, but the total counter and dial never have ( and its speedo number  in the bikes life)

Originally I was using a mobile phone, but it was just crap and hard to see - this actually works quite well and had it going yesterday in the Picasso and was pretty accurate ( or at least as accurate as the Picasso speedo is)

65524251_1197900640398171_52851839375119

One thing I will say is it is NOT battery powered  - the inaccurately labelled "charging port" is actually its power port, no power, no workie. You can run it from a power bank, or install a USB socket like wot I did last week

65672019_1195741943947374_83853555887704