The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Yeah - I tried to find another and ended up buying the Chinese crap thing just to be going on with.

In other new the Hyosung is still at the garage - Obv's parts for the brake rebuild are proving tricky to get. Bit of a bugger.

There's a website that holds all the independent test data on all the helmets that are approved for sale in the UK.

Before I bottled out of returning to biking, I'd pretty much chosen the best helmet under 200 quid with the best compromise of front, side, rear and top protection.  Shark I think. 

On 5/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, New POD said:

There's a website that holds all the independent test data on all the helmets that are approved for sale in the UK.

Please see my post above - it's the S.H.A.R.P. ( Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme ) website. But they don't list all the helmets sold in the UK, only ones submitted by the importer/manufacturer or one that a member of the public has asked to be tested. As I say above human nature suggests the  importer/manufacturer would only submit a helmet if you thought it would pass; which is probably not a bad thing... The ones with a poor result are probably models tested following a private request.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Looking for some advice from you experienced bike hands. My Honda 1986 125td  Super Dream seems to have stuck piston rings. Its smoking a lot. For now, I have filled the bores with diesel and will leave it to soak for a few days. This bike has stood unused for 3 years so I expected a few problems, and there have been more than I counted on so far. At the rate I am going, I may get it ready to ride by the end of this Summer.

Anything else I can try apart from diesel? Thanks.

I might be selling my bike

efe6ded542fc4915be631aad23bcfb3c.jpg

2002 RST1000 Futura. 21k anyone any idea what it’s worth before I try to sell it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£400 tops but cos I is nice I’ll give you £500

Seriously though I’d peg it at £1500-2000 depending on what condition and if the usual fixes have been done.

Fitted a new front sprocket to the CBR1000F today, the rear sprocket and chain haven't done many miles- hence me not changing the lot.

Also managed to balance the carbs, so fingers crossed I'll get a test ride in, and see what she feels like.

Idle is vastly improved !

P.s: Can't believe the state of the front sprocket, ashamed :(

20190512_144814.jpg

The Moto Guzzi 125 above is a badge engineered Benelli 125 2c. Back in the day (<1970's) Guzzi made a fantastic range of smaller bikes but these were very expensive outside Italy and are therefore relatively unknown.

When De Tomaso, who already owned Benelli, bought Moto Guzzi he wanted to extend their range away from V twins and the massive single cylinder Falcone, the easiest way was to stick Guzzi badges on Benellis. Some of the fantastic Benelli 4's were also available as 'Moto Guzzi's' as well. Incidentally, Benelli models where also badged as MotoBi in some regions, these sometimes crop up in the UK as well.

74fd519e-d21d-41f8-8c4a-1de131f1d4ea.jpg

And here's a proper Guzzi 125 - a Stornello from the '60's.

bc843968b6c18b43ba5c50ec70d808b1.jpg

Spookily I was speaking to someone at work today who bought a new Benelli 125 from a dealer somewhere in Lincolnshire. He said it was fantastic and out ran/out handled/out braked any Japanese equivalent but it was a little reluctant to start in damp weather (but OK if it was siling down). I had a Benelli 250 2c for a brief while (also an official UK model) and I can certainly agree it out ran any other 250 on the road, mine was totally reliable; but for some reason I didn't bond with it.

I'm not sure if any Guzzi badged Benellis where ever officially sold in the UK, I think the importer (Three Cross???) kept to the traditional split of V twin for Guzzi and everything else as Benelli.

I once owned (in boxes) a Guzzi 250SC - same as the Benelli but very definitely registered as a Moto Guzzi. Sadly it arrived in boxes and left exactly the same way - wish I’d kept it and put it back together, 17-18 years ago I just needed the cash.

£400 tops but cos I is nice I’ll give you £500

Seriously though I’d peg it at £1500-2000 depending on what condition and if the usual fixes have been done.

It will be going on BikeTrader then for £1750 in a couple of weeks bang in the middle. It’s a good one with the usual fixes, had the dash repair (professionally) regulator, new battery that sort of thing.

We’ll see how she does...

pain in the arse day:

One of my colleagues wanted the tyre changed on his VFR800 so i said swap bikes and ill do you tyre when i get home. So yesterday evening-despite being knackered- i went out and took the old tyre off [which was a bit of extra work as the bead has taken a liking to the rim and didnt want to break off] and put the new tyre on.

Left for work on it - nice and steady, new tyre, wet, not my bike- on the M48 just past Aust the back end starts wiggling. Pull over to a flat tyre. look to see the valve cap mangled.  Panic as I dont have recovery for it. So phone my best mate who crosses the border at 0710 like me. He's just behind me [he stopped on the roundabout to call me back] and he comes up with a tyre valve [he had a spare inner tube for his trailer and a valve key on the end of a can of goop] so we swap valve cores and use his Dacia inflator to bung 50psi in. Off i go and thank him and give him a wave as he heads to Falfield and me to work in Stoke Gifford. Arrive to a worrying colleague as i had texted him to say shit was going down.  Not even late!

Anyway we go and check it at lunch and it's flat again. ffs no.2. He has a free after lunch so he lobs another 50 psi in it and I follow him back to mine. At this point me, my mate and my colleague assume it's my shoddy workmanship and i've minced the valve in my tiredness and haste. Back at mine we take the tyre off put another valve on and he's good to go. He's got an MOT first thing [the MOT place is 100m from my house] so he says he'll pop in for a coffee whil-he-waits. 

20 mins later he's phoning me - its flat again ffs no.3, so i stick the trailer on my car grab my lash down gear and head to him to trailer it back. By now we are both pretty pissed off, but he's a fantastic colleague (maybe the best person ive had the pleasure to work with] so i am happy to help him get sorted. We trailer back to mine and he heads off home on my bike again.

Being an engineer and not a slacker I decide to find out why it's gone flat again. I stick in on the centre stand and the beads are located fine it isnt that. But hello, what's this? the valve cap almost has a nick in it (the valve that failed this morning had a damaged cap and the centre pin had gone) and looking the valve core is missing the detent bar. Eureka!!!!! the valve is hitting something on the way around - it's single sided swing arm and the valve is on the centre line like the torsion arm, caliper and carrier. It's whacking the carrier every revolution. How either valved survived 8 miles this morning and this afternoon is testament to the good elasticity and resilience of the stem and body.

Ill have to go to the tyre depot at 8am and get a short valve so we can have it ready for MOT at 0910.

What a bloody day. Was beginning to doubt my own workmanship - never a nice feeling.

tyre.jpg

Did the valve clearances on the NC. The crank bolt cover was seized in place [amazing considering it only gets nipped up lightly], so had to pull the cover and knock it out and go to fowlers to get a new one. The rest of the job was straight forward.

Also put some new pads in the front and fixed a fault with the wiring to the spot-LEDs [turned out to be corrosion in the accessory fusebox]. Also fired up my satnav.

Got a week off [Whitsun] so might sod off the southern or eastern europe on it.