The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

^^^ Often the simplest of jobs are simply not. What a bastard.

absolutamente

The number of times I've said "I've got an hour spare now, I'll just do x", and x spirals uncontrollably into a three day marathon split over two weekends with the bike unroadworthy throughout.

nope it got half an hour and tea - if it didnt come off simply (ive done it before just not on this bike) it wasnt coming off

fukit - cutting them off woulda been easier - as theyve done 53k - but waiting coupla days for new ones cba

can ride bike to work all week so not too bad

Seen (and heard) at a show near me in Dolores, Spain.

attachicon.gif20190407_104902.jpg

Ossa 500 twin. Can't recall if they used the Suzuki GT500/T500 motor, or a derivative of it.

attachicon.gif20190407_105002.jpg

Well used and protected by numerous oil leaks. Sounded really sweet, with no rattles.

The Ossa - you've got a rare catch there - this is in fact an 'Ossa Yankee 500SS' one of only 760 made in Yankeedoodleland. The engine is in fact Ossa's own design (by Eduardo Giro) and was made by joining two single cylinder 250cc engines together. It has the unusual feature of you being able to alter the pistons positions by 'a relatively easy method' so that they where either together (resembling a single) or 180deg apart as per a typical twin - no idea why you should want to do this...

More details here - https://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Classic/ossa_yankee_500_ss.htm

^^^ Often the simplest of jobs are simply not. What a bastard.

You’re not kidding. I’ll just put the new seals and pistons in Mrs B’s front caliper on her Triumph. Will the pistons come out? Will they bollocks! I’ll have to take the caliper in to the bike shop tomorrow, let them have a go. Half a day on the bloody thing. I’m knackered!

One’s too many, ten’s not enough!

That Ossa is magic, iirc they made trial bikes mostly?

Right, yesterday was very briefly spent mixing it with the big cc boys

scomad.jpg

..today, however it was time to meet up with the proper* two wheeled men and ladies

56734854_2027326484229964_60494776713923

56905107_2027326574229955_15986660396530

56492579_2027326350896644_83688285116657

Enjoyed that, despite making my asthma 3,000,000% worse.

Got a quote from Aviva today that was pretty cheap, though apparently they don’t do pillion cover.

The guy on the phone seemed to make out that I could still ride with a pillion, but that the pillion rider wouldn’t be covered for liability.. does that seem right? What would that actually mean?

I’ve got a feeling he’s wrong and I wouldn’t be covered at all if I had a pillion.

Got a quote from Aviva today that was pretty cheap, though apparently they don’t do pillion cover.

The guy on the phone seemed to make out that I could still ride with a pillion, but that the pillion rider wouldn’t be covered for liability.. does that seem right? What would that actually mean?

I’ve got a feeling he’s wrong and I wouldn’t be covered at all if I had a pillion.

I think you’re right and he’s wrong. I’d call again and talk to someone higher up the tree to get a definitive answer.

Not sure how much extra pillion cover is than not having it. My policy isn't any less if I have loads of security fitted, so I declare none when I take out a policy and pay the same as I would with a £500 alarm fitted

I just know that if it gets stolen, the insurers wont have such an easy job wriggling out of paying because I declared no alarm or locks fitted.

Aircooled V Twin for Mr Womble, he'll be on a Harley next!

Spotted this in town, some people do the L plate thing better than others. 

post-3405-0-52287400-1554809311_thumb.jpg

To combine the two - he could have one of these a Hardly Dangerous Hummer (one of the many variations, along with the Bantam, of the DKW RT125 )

post-3405-0-84329300-1554809222_thumb.jpg

Likewise, I seemingly had a part of Spain to myself today. A most pleasant 130 mile ride-beats my former 120 mile daily commute down the A120/M11/A13

post-19526-0-99228500-1554851467_thumb.jpg

*Edit* I know I am running the Himilayan in, so, although not sticking to the very low rev limit that the manual says I should, I am not putting the engine under load, and am treating it a bit gently than I will for now. I didn't expect to see 98 mpg though. Nice bike ideally suited for a vast majority of the roads I use here, 

I think you’re right and he’s wrong. I’d call again and talk to someone higher up the tree to get a definitive answer.

The passenger is a third party.

The minimum requirement legally is third party. I reckon they are using words carefully to get you to buy more cover.

I had this with a car insurer. Was trying to tell me my passengers couldn't sue me. I went elsewhere

The passenger is a third party.

The minimum requirement legally is third party. I reckon they are using words carefully to get you to buy more cover.

I had this with a car insurer. Was trying to tell me my passengers couldn't sue me. I went elsewhere

That makes sense.

Likewise, I seemingly had a part of Spain to myself today. A most pleasant 130 mile ride-beats my former 120 mile daily commute down the A120/M11/A13

attachicon.gif20190409_142639.jpg

*Edit* I know I am running the Himilayan in, so, although not sticking to the very low rev limit that the manual says I should, I am not putting the engine under load, and am treating it a bit gently than I will for now. I didn't expect to see 98 mpg though. Nice bike ideally suited for a vast majority of the roads I use here, 

after looking at the map i hope you hung a right there..............