The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I was steered into looking at a Z1000SX at Cornwall Kawasaki when I was last there. Too small for me (my knees are up around where the tank bulges out at the top) but I did like the look of it.

Ooooh, I'm wanting a Z1000SX too to replace my VFR. Can't decide if to go for an earlyish one (2012, still £5K+), or PCP one.

Honestly I don't see the point in buying a used one, the new one is much better specced and cheap enough on a pcp, and with a 3 year warranty.

Yeah, bunch of flash gits! :D

Got to 124982 when the clutch cable let go at the lever end leaving work on Friday morning.

Apart from one set of lights which didn't change quick enough, I managed to make it home without stopping even though I had to do a diversion through three sets of lights because of overnight roadworks closing my exit sliproad.

post-19900-0-94412800-1553462313_thumb.jpg

Will scramble about tomorrow morning getting the cable off and try and get a new inner shoved in. It'll be quicker than getting a complete cable.

Looked at the prices of a Royal Enfield Himalayan out here in Spain. Exchange rate means I can get one, on the road with registration fee for £3998. Insurance for third party and theft (no fire, but who steals a burning bike?) is £160, which is for the bike, so any rider over 30 years old can ride it here. Took one out for an hour from the dealer near Murcia, and loved it.

post-19526-0-70192300-1553522143_thumb.jpg

Seeing as the speed limits have been lowered (and strictly enforced from what I've seen to date), and there are loads of back roads and tracks everywhere, and I will be here at least half of the year (unless *****) it seems best way to ride here without falling foul of import rules for British registered vehicles. And don't even mention metrication-extremely expensive thing to do on bikes.

Will scramble about tomorrow morning getting the cable off and try and get a new inner shoved in. It'll be quicker than getting a complete cable.

So no scrambling done because lazy git. Ambled down to Cablecraft and got there after 12. No problem to do it, but it'd be ready 3pm. Went back home so Mrs H could use car to pick up Honda Jr 2. Then left early for work to do detour via Cablecraft.

post-19900-0-08329000-1553534774_thumb.jpg

10 yoyos and quicker than bending over at Joe Duffy Motorrad for a complete new one.

They're 3999 here :lol: enjoy

Dont forget to read the small print. Every uk dealer I have looked  states "plus on the road cost" which is £200. Spanish price is inclusive of their €250 OTR cost. 

Still to make up my mind, but tthe more I read of them, the more they make sense to me here. Not so sure it would be the same for me in the UK.

so gathering spares prices so i can bum stena

i know from experience that honda europe prices are absolutley insane

tried to buy parts in usa while i was there on friday but two day lead time

so got part numbers and google fu happened

found bars on ebay here but from partzilla - usa parts place ive bought from before that does oem japanese stuff :D

uk price 98 quid i was quoted in usa 35 usd but from them on ebay 27 dollars :lol:

plus 20 post and 12 import so 70 dollars - 54 quid - barg

also the footpeg - did the same but nothing - and just the metal not the under piece the hero blob or the screws

in usa 9 dollars here 39 quid

on partzillas site this time 25 bucks delivered here :D

so for half the price of the uk handlebars ive got both parts - just gotta wait now

stena will be quoted honda uk prices and the garage labour to fit - peg i can do bars will be given to garage

The second one just looks like a standard high mount bicycle carrier.

Is this any good? It says no mopeds in the listing but I think that probably means modern small wheel ones, looks like a moby would go on fine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183717083895

I had a test ride of a Z1000SX earlier today.  It's a lovely thing but the upright riding position made me feel disconnected from it - which is a shame because my bad back loved it.  The salesmen said the riding position of the H2 SX may be more to my liking... and an hour later I'm signing my life away :)  I don't know what my bad back made of it, I was too busy screaming. 

PCP'd it, fuck it, I'm not getting any younger and have decided to stop worrying about things so much. 

The salesmen said the riding position of the H2 SX may be more to my liking... and an hour later I'm signing my life away :)  I don't know what my bad back made of it, I was too busy screaming. 

PCP'd it, fuck it, I'm not getting any younger and have decided to stop worrying about things so much.

Quite brilliant. Both in attitude and bike.

I had a test ride of a Z1000SX earlier today.  It's a lovely thing but the upright riding position made me feel disconnected from it - which is a shame because my bad back loved it.  The salesmen said the riding position of the H2 SX may be more to my liking... and an hour later I'm signing my life away :)  I don't know what my bad back made of it, I was too busy screaming. 

Excellent, I did consider the H2SX but I couldn't justify the figures really, my ZSX is costing me £130 a month, the H2SX was well over double that, I would baulk at paying that as for 6 months of the year the bike doesn't move out of the garage.

Am I reading this correctly 200 bhp for a road bike!

It's quite normal now, most top of the range bikes are around this number, the V4 ducati has around 210bhp, the S1000RR has 207, etc etc, they really are amazing things, the electronics on them makes them usable in all weathers as they all have very sophisticated traction control controlled by an IMU (inertial measurement unit).

When you unleash 200 odd bhp on a dry day without the need for any electronic assistance it certainly makes you feel alive and shrinks the horizons :)

I hope no one on the rest of this forum finds out you have a 1l turbo modern, they'll be along to tell you it's bound to catch fire!

It'll be great to hear how you get on with yours, you don't read any real negatives beyond the price really about them.

I have no need or money for anything new so hadn't really looked into pcp, but keep getting adverts from Honda for 'deals' dividing the deposit by the term and adding that to the monthly cost basically all their bikes came to the same. Surely noone is walking out with a cbr650 or a vfr if a blade is the same price minus the final payment which is really relevant to pcp.

Or is there still wiggle room in the prices? Ie will the dealer knock off a bit from the retail to drop the monthly payment down to get shot of stuff that isn't as desirable?

I hope no one on the rest of this forum finds out you have a 1l turbo modern, they'll be along to tell you it's bound to catch fire!

It'll be great to hear how you get on with yours, you don't read any real negatives beyond the price really about them.

I have no need or money for anything new so hadn't really looked into pcp, but keep getting adverts from Honda for 'deals' dividing the deposit by the term and adding that to the monthly cost basically all their bikes came to the same. Surely noone is walking out with a cbr650 or a vfr if a blade is the same price minus the final payment which is really relevant to pcp.

Or is there still wiggle room in the prices? Ie will the dealer knock off a bit from the retail to drop the monthly payment down to get shot of stuff that isn't as desirable?

There's always a deal to be had, and not everyone wants a VFR or 'Blade, I paid sticker price for mine but they were generous with the deal on my bike and covered the settlement figure which was a few hundred higher than the book price.

Chaps - what's a decent brand of battery please? I have rarely ever bought any bike batteries - any old crap will start a Helix, and I've mostly used other people's cast offs on those over the years.

However, the DN-01's battery is now on it's knees, and I suspect that I'll need something a bit better for that. The one in it is a Powerline (who?), fitted by the last owner less than 2 years ago. It's a proper fannying about job just getting the battery out, too, so it's not something I want to be doing every five minutes.

Motobatt are a bit dearer, any good? And I did once have a second hand Honda Yuasa which lasted quite well (I don't know how old it was in the first place, mind) - is it worth the extra £££ for one of those?

Cheers gents.