The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Explaining what I have in mind to my friend makes him think the after market filter will not fit. He will show me as he has the moped, but unfortunately he is not free until the end of the week.

Anything can be made to fit with enough gaffer tape

Would it not be possible to effect a repair on the original seal?

Sikaflex. Ive just wobbed up a post box with sikaflex. Fixes everything

I retired yesterday, so taking the exploits of Hairnet into account, I'm going to spend time riding around the warmer parts of Europe in the same vein.

Not having to get up for work at 4.30 this morning was very liberating. I am also very grateful that I can financially afford to go earlier than many of my colleages. 

Are you going to do it on a proper bike though, unlike him? :)

Your scooter is a 4t isn't it? And auto?

Am tempted by something similar again. Or keeping the gixxer...

Yeah, you'd defo notice the difference between that and your sports bike though!

I'm going to look at a cheap firestorm tomorrow.

It's a 2000, full history, 38k but cat N with some cosmetic damage - clearly been up the road.

Anything beyond the usual bike stuff to look for on these?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Pathetic range and thirst. Some have issues with camchain. Also bike can have intermittent misfire in heavy rain - not ideal on a twin.

I retired yesterday, so taking the exploits of Hairnet into account, I'm going to spend time riding around the warmer parts of Europe in the same vein.

Not having to get up for work at 4.30 this morning was very liberating. I am also very grateful that I can financially afford to go earlier than many of my colleages.

Congratulations. Life is for living.

Are you going to do it on a proper bike though, unlike him? :)

Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport initially, but will get something Spanish registered eventually. Getting a British registered bike re-registered in Spain is a long, tedious, and expensive process, as my mate can testify to when he re-registered his Triumph Speed Triple. He had to fit new headlights and a new, standard exhaust end can on top of all his fees before he was issued with a Spanish plate, then he had issues insuring it. 

Who knows what bike I'll end up buying in Spain to tour on, not that it makes any real difference engine size wise, as I'll be in no hurry to get anywhere. 

Anything can be made to fit with enough gaffer tape

Sikaflex. Ive just wobbed up a post box with sikaflex. Fixes everything

Carbon fibre panels on the outside of thrust reverser / engine naccells on aircraft are glued in place with that stuff. Apparently they don't really* need the rivets.

Bought the VTR, rode 80 miles home and bloody love it already.

20dd7126e609eb685de6dc1af585f7bd.jpg4290b6fc781011aa1a90adeb31c326a1.jpg

Observations

Better handling, braking and more responsive than my ZZR, to be expected as it's miles lighter.

Doesn't have anywhere near the same top end, but the warp speed from the ZZR just isn't usable without bursting into license losing territory anyway. And the VTR is still plenty fast enough.

Crucially it's quick from idle, near enough in any gear. Just that gruff big twin oomph that's bloody ridiculous.

It has a fruity exhaust, which sounds loud enough and pops/bangs/ crackles on the overrun which had me giggling like a schoolboy. And that's with the baffles in!

It's mega easy to ride.

Things to fix

It was cheap because it's been down the road on its right hand side, and is a cat N as a consequence. Front fairing on that side has some plastic missing, bit of a ding on the tank and a few scrapes here and there. I reckon for another couple of hundred I could have it looking fairly mint but this bike will get used so I'm not too bothered

Full MOT, full service history, plenty of receipts. It's obvious the previous owner looked after it before his off, and just let the insurance bods take it away.

Again cat N doesn't bother me at this price, and I'll likely hang on to it for a while

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Who knows what bike I'll end up buying in Spain to tour on, not that it makes any real difference engine size wise, as I'll be in no hurry to get anywhere. 

Could I interest Sir in a Sanglas?

Sanglas_s2_v5_79_03.jpg

I've been reading a couple of old magazine articles about them and they sound interesting...

[Am I right in thinking they made a few half-hearted efforts to sell these in the UK back in the day?]

Carbon fibre panels on the outside of thrust reverser / engine naccells on aircraft are glued in place with that stuff. Apparently they don't really* need the rivets.

Weren't Honda's Comstar wheels glued together, the rivets being there for 'consumer confidence'?

Sanglas - I've had a look through my Observers Books of Motorcycles covering the early 70's to early 80's and none of them list a UK distributor. I've always liked the look of them and years ago I read a fairly complimentary road test but I seem to remember they vibrate like a very vibratory thing.

You can still buy a Montesa - not sure about the comfort/fuel range though....

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/cota-4rt-2015/overview.html

post-3405-0-25493300-1552567700_thumb.jpg

post-3405-0-68224400-1552567715_thumb.jpg

Or a Reiju

https://www.rieju.co.uk/

post-3405-0-50565200-1552567816_thumb.jpg

I think that exhausts the list of Spanish manufacturers.

Later....

I tell a lie, I forgot about Derbi not sure about the comfort/fuel range though (again)

http://www.derbi.com/en_EN/

post-3405-0-66928300-1553197683_thumb.jpg

Edited by martc

Looks like a Cagiva Elefant 125 with a coating of Nato green and a rack.

Think the engine is as Mito, most will have been imports from France or Italy anyway so full power (30ish hp?)

Pretty rare in the UK in any form I think, a jap equivalent will be easier to find for sure.

Elefant and mitos are all water cooled lumps with 7 speed gearboxes, this is a much older tech engine in newer clothes in military spec (ie rugged and simple - unlike the water cooled ones!)

I bought a Thundercat from Madmopedracer up in Glasgow, as a mate wanted one. Rode it back to London in glorious sunshine all the way. It was physically quite large, lovely ergonomics (for me) and very economical. Really didn't want to let him have it, but a deal is a deal, and I had a nice day out in Helensborough seeing veg oil filtered and made into a fuel suitable for his diesel Mercedes.