The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

RE?

Yes-a Himalayan. Going to borrow one for a couple of days when I'm in Spain next week. Think it will be excellent for plodding around on the huge number of tracks near the house.

Never really strayed onto unpaved roads before, but everyone says the Himalayan is easy to ride on tracks, so think it might be worth trying out, seeing I want to explore rural Spain. The Guzzi is great for the tarmac roads there, but has very, very limited ability on unpaved roads (as I found out in Albania last year).

Where can I buy spares for my 1984 Honda Vision Moped?

Following the Failure to proceed of the 1984 Honda Vision last year I gave it to a friend to have a look at. He reported two things firstly a blocked petrol hose, which I am sure we checked and was free running, but that was 8 months ago now! Easy to replace anyway.

The other problem was the rubber connecting pipe from the air filter to the carb is broken and hanging down partially blocking the carb intake.

Best place to buy a replacement?

post-4787-0-18190300-1552304940_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-11088200-1552304972_thumb.jpg

CMS in the Netherlands have the best online parts catalogs of any bike spares supplier. 

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-scooter_model3/

Although I'll use them for big orders for single parts postage for small orders is high so I use their site to identify the Honds part number then either have my local Honda dealer order it in or order it online from Fowlers of Bristol who are the biggest OEM bike parts mail order supplier in the UK. Also worth checking the Honda P/N on ebay as sometimes people clear old stock through there.

What's the twin like, Sam? Bit vibey or quite smooth?

Not a bad as you think  - or I'd think. A complete sea change from the silky-smooth 4 but quite nice to 'feel' whats going on.

I rode it back from Stoke to Bewdley in that rain/wind/sun on Saturday morning - just under 60 miles. Could have done double that easily.

Very different power delivery, and not very tolerant of low (sub 2500/3000 rpm) engine speeds in 2nd or 3rd gear.

post-3776-0-60009100-1552306349_thumb.jpg

post-3776-0-00893200-1552306377_thumb.jpg

Im not selling mine its too much of a giggle. Personally I'd just bin off the air box and lob a cheap Chinese filter on it

Buying moped bits is all new to me, really I expect people to hand over their old mopeds full working for free!

No not really, but can you help me locate the correct Chinese air filter please?

I think the filter being referred to would be a universal "K&N style" cone filter. Simply measure the diameter of the carb flange to see which one you need. Toss old airbox to make space and then fit with a jubilee clip. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Air-Filters/177771/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cone+filter&_sop=15

It's not the pinnacle of filtration technology but will at least stop squirrels getting sucked into the engine so should suffice on a field bike. 

Buying moped bits is all new to me, really I expect people to hand over their old mopeds full working for free!

No not really, but can you help me locate the correct Chinese air filter please?

I retired yesterday, so taking the exploits of Hairnet into account, I'm going to spend time riding around the warmer parts of Europe in the same vein.

Not having to get up for work at 4.30 this morning was very liberating. I am also very grateful that I can financially afford to go earlier than many of my colleages. 

I retired yesterday, so taking the exploits of Hairnet into account, I'm going to spend time riding around the warmer parts of Europe in the same vein.

Not having to get up for work at 4.30 this morning was very liberating. I am also very grateful that I can financially afford to go earlier than many of my colleages.

Congrats! That lie in must have felt good!

Don't forget to do a plug check after fitting the more free flowing filter. Might need to raise the needle or fit a larger main jet, if the fuel mixture is running leaner.

Might make no difference at all of course but better to verify than have a melt down.

I'm going to look at a cheap firestorm tomorrow.

It's a 2000, full history, 38k but cat N with some cosmetic damage - clearly been up the road.

Anything beyond the usual bike stuff to look for on these?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

as long as its not been up the road at 8k rpm on its side just general fucked/bent stuff

a handbag :P

not yellow is it?

Don't forget to do a plug check after fitting the more free flowing filter. Might need to raise the needle or fit a larger main jet, if the fuel mixture is running leaner.

Might make no difference at all of course but better to verify than have a melt down.

Explaining what I have in mind to my friend makes him think the after market filter will not fit. He will show me as he has the moped, but unfortunately he is not free until the end of the week.