The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

You should have got that back the following weekend!

Can you remember what bike it was?

Yeah, my first 'big' bike, which I've spent more than it's worth on.

You're right, I should have - BUT wanting to support a friend's business etc.

Will borrow a van in the new year, collect her and drop it off at another trusted shop.

Do it yourself, bikes aren't that hard to work on. I prefer to do things myself as they actually get done properly, nine times out of ten when I pay a garage I end up redoing the work anyway.

post-23435-0-02142300-1546211003_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-66845800-1546211006_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-15291500-1546211009_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-23889100-1546211013_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-36524200-1546211016_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-27492100-1546211018_thumb.jpg

post-23435-0-41636700-1546211020_thumb.jpg

I am having a clear out, the kit isn't new but in good condition. this is a well padded jacket, the sleeves zip off, it is very comfortable but tight fitting.. It is a EU 52 but would be better on a 38 - 40 chest. £30 + post ? Does that sound fair for a quality item ??

As always they are out there, what's your budget? there's not many cheap running bikes sub £500 these days like there used to be.

Ideal budget is 2k, but I have to save 2k first.

What I want is a bike with shaft drive as a first choice and belt as second and no wire spoke wheels or shiny bollocks.

I really don't want to go back to chain drive.  I hated the maintenance.  Yep, I'm a lazy git.

What has taken my fancy is the Beem F800 bikes with fairing.  Although Kwak did do some nice non ponsy cruisers.

I might just get a crappy thing to get my first NCB back.

Ideal budget is 2k, but I have to save 2k first.

What I want is a bike with shaft drive as a first choice and belt as second and no wire spoke wheels or shiny bollocks.

I really don't want to go back to chain drive. I hated the maintenance. Yep, I'm a lazy git.

What has taken my fancy is the Beem F800 bikes with fairing. Although Kwak did do some nice non ponsy cruisers.

I might just get a crappy thing to get my first NCB back.

F800's are in budget and out there, they have a few common issues to watch out for but are good bikes if a bit vanilla, why the insistence on shaft or belt? Do you do a lot of miles? A chain with a scottoiler or similar fitted is fairly maintenance free and opens up so many more bikes for your budget, you could get onto a faired Bandit or FZS1000, or a Versys or V Strom, a VFR800 or Sprint ST1050 if they tickle your fancy.

One of those events I said I would like to do one day, but unless there is a nice, warm hotel or B&B within 50 yards of the campsite, then I'll never go.

I attended a rally back in 1979, during the summer in Henly on Thames, and stayed one night in a tent. I vowed never to do so ever again.

Yamaha townmate stuff, 6v to 12v conversions, anyone have any experience? I have a very reliable old townmate but it’s 6v, lights are dangerous and shit.

I’d like something a bit brighter as we end up not using it at night(it sits on the back of the camper) cos we don’t like getting killed.

Elephant rally prep starts . Off to get heated grips and bar muffs. Sure I can’t twist anyone’s arm to come along ?

I used to do the Dragon Rally every year during the eighties. Not any more, too old for winter camping now. Have a great time and wrap up warm.

One’s too many, ten’s not enough!

I had the 650 of it - w/ carbs and a kick start. iirc it was on an '04 plate. The only reason it didn't sell more in the UK is because it didn't have a triumph badge on the tank. Pitiful. It was a better bike in every way than the triumph bonnies of the same years. 

But the reason I got rid of it was because erm I was never riding it. I was out on my '90s cb500 way more often. So that gives you some idea of how dull a lot of these retro parallel twins are - regardless of where they're made and who by.

The Honda Sky ( SGX50) is one of the bikes that is likely to be worth some coin in a few years time, but not that blue one that has been painted shit.

That deserves to be killed by fire.

Ive got a deathtrap of a NH80 in Preston if you are interested, but is 80cc rather than 50 so you need CBT or licence to ride it.

The Honda Sky ( SGX50) is one of the bikes that is likely to be worth some coin in a few years time, but not that blue one that has been painted shit.

That deserves to be killed by fire.

Ive got a deathtrap of a NH80 in Preston if you are interested, but is 80cc rather than 50 so you need CBT or licence to ride it.

I think I had been spoilt with the two field bikes I have, as one was £50 and the other free, I had no idea how much end of life bikes are worth until I talked about this SGX50.

cc is not important because the plan is confine it to my own field.

My plan is to do my CBT 2019 as I have a 2003 Aprilia Habana 125 that I do want to take on the road and only have a 50cc licence. 

post-4787-0-72771900-1546258700_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-01323100-1546259061_thumb.jpg

field bikes 

Ah, then sir should step my way in June 2019 when the MOT on the NH80 is up and it wont stand a cat in hells chance of getting another one. Im already in the process of slowly removing all the plastics (most are buggered anyway) and when its getting lighter useful things like the lamps will be removed and punted on on eBay. The aim is to be left with a (for a short time) road legal taxed, MOT'd and insured bike that looks like it should only be run on a field before the MOT is up.

F800's are in budget and out there, they have a few common issues to watch out for but are good bikes if a bit vanilla, why the insistence on shaft or belt? Do you do a lot of miles? A chain with a scottoiler or similar fitted is fairly maintenance free and opens up so many more bikes for your budget, you could get onto a faired Bandit or FZS1000, or a Versys or V Strom, a VFR800 or Sprint ST1050 if they tickle your fancy.

^^^ This, I had a Scot oiler touring version on my Thunderace and didn't need to adjust the chain for 20k miles. I always fitted D.I.D chains though..

Ah, then sir should step my way in June 2019 when the MOT on the NH80 is up and it wont stand a cat in hells chance of getting another one. Im already in the process of slowly removing all the plastics (most are buggered anyway) and when its getting lighter useful things like the lamps will be removed and punted on on eBay. The aim is to be left with a (for a short time) road legal taxed, MOT'd and insured bike that looks like it should only be run on a field before the MOT is up.

Yes I am sure I will still have a need for a field bike in June.

My Honda had been great until this year.

Have you any pictures of the dismantling process? 

post-4787-0-20014400-1546270135_thumb.jpg

It would be my daily and maintenance must be low, hence shaft and belt.  Sure I could go the oily route but I really don't want to.  If I really must go the oily way, then so be it.  I have to be out of options though.