The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Popped into Millsport Ducati in Ballymoney earlier (hometown of the Dunlop dynasty, and across the road from Joey's Bar)

If my numbers came up....1357fa94898594df6ad32cb03974be43.jpgf763cf02d990f7b2a3405ea02dea03ab.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Fitted a “dash cam” on my pals one of these in the summer. Lovely things in the flesh but bastards to maintain, oil change is a ball ache of the highest order.

Has anyone got any 2 stroke experience on here well more specifically the carburettor. This specimen belongs to a Gilera Dna 50 that I bought in haste and now get to stare at for hours on end. I have never seen a carburettor with a throttle slide with the arched section facing toward the engine and the flat side to the air filter box. The idle screw slot and slot down its side dictate which way it goes but every picture I see has it the other way round and makes me think someone did a carb swap but not the needle and slide?? 11eec0bb66dcc94969bf79d1935ab8cf.jpgf257c0b85a9c8d8e51f54f1351a0d4c3.jpg

Thats the same as you have it, the big end of the carb points toward the airbox, the engine end is much smaller.

All the carbs for these things are just assorted copiesnof pretty much the same design, so it seems unlikely that you could get a slide that was opposite but assembled OK.

I had to turn the slide around to show the curved bit after removing it from the carb in second picture. My limited experience with these carbs still tells me it's wrong as carb fitted seems to simple to have an air bypass passage for idle and then would not need that curved section at all. But as its facing the wrong way the only way to correctly get the air for idle is to adjust up the slide which in turn enrichens the fuel as the fueling needle come up with it.

I also spoke to motorbike shop who could only recommend finding out the carb fitted from Piaggio dealership and get one and start again with that.

I've been offered this slightly* modified MBK.

ped1.jpg

ped2.jpg

Is water cooling standard ? There's a bloody great expansion chamber on it too, I suspect it's one of those peds that do 50mph +

I know nothing about these.... is it worth 100 euros ?

Definitely get that for 100€!

I used to be into tuning these and that’s got all the trick bits you could possibly want: exhaust variator etc..

You’ll need to bump it though since no kickstart or pedals.

Definitely get that for 100€!

I used to be into tuning these and that’s got all the trick bits you could possibly want: exhaust variator etc..

You’ll need to bump it though since no kickstart or pedals.

Is it an MBK 51 ?

There's no log book,forks are jammed,stem bearings are fucked,rads held on with meccano, I've no real use for it,so I'll probably pick it up next weekend ☺

Have been out of my FZR1000 yesterday and today. Slightly annoyed when it start pissing coolant and thought it was coming from the waterpump. Fairing off showed it to be a union which too all of 10 seconds to nip up.

Really rides well and feels fit. Might be time to move it on though - quite fancy a busa.

I had a quick blast out in the Peaks today, the weather was lovely & not that cold till it got dark. Loads of Deer out in Chatsworth too, not that you can see them in this pic because phonecam.

post-20217-0-20005300-1542569888_thumb.jpg

I've been offered this slightly* modified MBK.

ped1.jpg

ped2.jpg

Is water cooling standard ? There's a bloody great expansion chamber on it too, I suspect it's one of those peds that do 50mph +

I know nothing about these.... is it worth 100 euros ?

I know nothing about MBK other than there was some tie in with Yamaha at one point and anything built by them could be made to go faster than 30mph.

Is the YZ behind it also for sale?

I dragged the MT out of the garage and washed the flies and mud off it from when I last rode it a month ago, dried it off and gave the chain a clean and lube and locked it up under a couple of blankets, I won't be riding until April now so need to find something to do over the winter.

Might buy a cheap blackbird or something to fettle over winter as the MT is hopeless as a tourer/distance bike.

pffft

post-4817-0-88563200-1542579683_thumb.jpg

They are pretty decent bikes, the air cooled twin has been in all sorts and is pretty reliable, belt changes are a simple DIY affair too, they do have an issue with valve guides on certain bikes, and the engine paint falls off easily, I like them and have ridden a couple, I just couldn't get on with the looks, the s model with ohlins and termis would be the one I'd want but you can pick a decent standard one up for 2k now.

T'was at the Bike Show yesterday, some interesting bolides there - I'm biased towards twins.My attention was drawn to the following with purely personal observations; might be worth a look if you're going.

Indian Flat Tracker - not bad looking, except for the hideous scaffolding bars holding the number plate. An improvement over their usual gin palaces. 7/10

Moto Guzzi V85TT - looks really good, more character than the endless boring stream of GS's. And a revival of an old name. 9/10

Bennelli - various. Some of these are worth a look, I liked the Leoncino (sp?). They also had an 'Imperiale' which is a 400cc single in the style of a 50's Italian single - it looked very classy from a distance (close up build quality was wanting in places). Coming to the UK next year and a pleasant change from copies of British designs. Average of 7/10

Royal Enfield Twins - like the 'Imperiale' they looked really good from a distance (if you like this sort of thing) but some of the finishing was awful (for example the front indicator lens did not align with the case, leaving a sharp overlap - I looked at several and they all had this problem). 5/10

Norton Atlas Nomad and Ranger - now these look like being winners, <£10,000, they look good and made in the UK. Could only look, couldn't touch. By looks alone 9.5/10

Yamaha XSR700 - I found myself being drawn to this several times over the day. According to the plate it's actually made by MBK - of Mobylette fame! Could be my next bike, 9/10

I've an NC750 so had a quick peak at the latest model and the one on display was in a fetching metallic brown (including the wheels) - worth a look, it actually looks classy.

Lots more to look at but I actively avoided the Hardly Dangerous stand as I'm not a corpulent accountant. I also ignored the BMW stand, they ignore me on the road. I'll ignore them at the show.

T'was at the Bike Show yesterday, some interesting bolides there - I'm biased towards twins.My attention was drawn to the following with purely personal observations; might be worth a look if you're going.

Indian Flat Tracker - not bad looking, except for the hideous scaffolding bars holding the number plate. An improvement over their usual gin palaces. 7/10

Moto Guzzi V85TT - looks really good, more character than the endless boring stream of GS's. And a revival of an old name. 9/10

Bennelli - various. Some of these are worth a look, I liked the Leoncino (sp?). They also had an 'Imperiale' which is a 400cc single in the style of a 50's Italian single - it looked very classy from a distance (close up build quality was wanting in places). Coming to the UK next year and a pleasant change from copies of British designs. Average of 7/10

Royal Enfield Twins - like the 'Imperiale' they looked really good from a distance (if you like this sort of thing) but some of the finishing was awful (for example the front indicator lens did not align with the case, leaving a sharp overlap - I looked at several and they all had this problem). 5/10

Norton Atlas Nomad and Ranger - now these look like being winners, <£10,000, they look good and made in the UK. Could only look, couldn't touch. By looks alone 9.5/10

Yamaha XSR700 - I found myself being drawn to this several times over the day. According to the plate it's actually made by MBK - of Mobylette fame! Could be my next bike, 9/10

I've an NC750 so had a quick peak at the latest model and the one on display was in a fetching metallic brown (including the wheels) - worth a look, it actually looks classy.

Lots more to look at but I actively avoided the Hardly Dangerous stand as I'm not a corpulent accountant. I also ignored the BMW stand, they ignore me on the road. I'll ignore them at the show.

Did you see the Kawasaki Z900S?

Buy a Crosstourer, the styling you want but pennies. I bought a 10k mile one for £6k 18 months ago, destined vfr1200 motor, comfy, 250 mile range, excellent suspension especially the rear that’s smoother than a gs, bloody heavy!

I’ve done 10k in 12 months and still commuting in it now, they’re bargains because they’re not a BMW.

Did you see the Kawasaki Z900S?

Yes I did and very smart they were too - there where several in different colours, I particularly liked the orange/brown version. I found myself comparing it to the Honda CB1100 and to be honest I preferred the Honda, mainly because of the fantastic air cooled engine.

Suzuki were showing the new Katana but I thought it was a bit of a mickey take - basically it's name is at a bit of an angle and there's a Katana badge on it, apart from that there was no real styling cues from the original one; an example of which was displayed alongside it, 4/10.

I'm a fan of the Crosstourer as well, I knew someone who had one and loved it; they have all the characteristics of a Honda (which in my book is a good thing). And, as said, it's not a BMW.

Just 1600 miles to collect one from the factory. The bribes to get it our of India and smuggle it into the UK might eat into the savings!

Buying a new Enfield and riding it home is my never to be completed dream trip in the way some people want to sail around the world etc... Unfortunately even with life not getting in the way the political situation of the world means its even less doable then when I first read about a few people that had done it fifteen or so years ago.

Norton Atlas Nomad and Ranger - now these look like being winners, <£10,000, they look good and made in the UK. Could only look, couldn't touch. By looks alone 9.5/10

I've an NC750 so had a quick peak at the latest model and the one on display was in a fetching metallic brown (including the wheels) - worth a look, it actually looks classy.

Interested to read about the finish on the Royal Enfield as I've £100 returnable deposit on an Interceptor in orange.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Interested to read about the finish on the Royal Enfield as I've £100 returnable deposit on an Interceptor in orange.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be too worried - they looked fantastic in the whole, with an authentic 60's aura about them; in particular the engine cases casting and finish looked very 'old fashioned' (in a good way).

I was just a little disappointed about the detailing. As mentioned the two halves of the indicators didn't quite line up, the switch gear felt a little gritty and some of the welds were a tadge 'bulky'. But they are considerably 'less expensive' than a Japanese bike and so I may be a little over picky.

To whet your appetite..

post-3405-0-89491200-1542916858_thumb.jpg

And for the curious, here's the Bennelli Imperiale...

post-3405-0-38024300-1542916912_thumb.jpg