The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Guest Hooli

I rode over the Grossglockner Pass earlier this year, after three previous planned crossings had to be abandoned due to it still being closed (all were planned for late May).

Not sure if it was worth the €26 charged, although no doubt it is really well surfaced. One thing to bare in mind is that it free for bikes to traverse early morning and late afternoon.

I did enjoy it when I rode it in 2012. There is a 'three pass pass' you can get for that & two others which saves a lot of money. I need to look into it as I only found out on a noticeboard about halfway over it.

I found you can get recon tomtoms for under £35 delivered last night so ordered one & downloaded tyre to do some routes. I just need to actually do the planning now!

Guest Hooli

What's a BSA Bantam D2 worth ?

He's asking 1500.

I may be slightly* out of touch but I thought it'd be a lot less than that.

Here's a pic:

attachicon.gifD2.jpg

Complete & good nick that's probably about right.

Jodrell Bank?

I say that from the position of someone who hasn't a fucking clue, and is just guessing.

If it was in Grimsby, someone in a tracksuit would be robbing bits to weigh in for money to buy a bigger telly, heroin or for money to rent a base model shit new mercedes.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I did enjoy it when I rode it in 2012. There is a 'three pass pass' you can get for that & two others which saves a lot of money. I need to look into it as I only found out on a noticeboard about halfway over it.

I found you can get recon tomtoms for under £35 delivered last night so ordered one & downloaded tyre to do some routes. I just need to actually do the planning now!

Where abouts did you order that from? I've had the odd look on ebay but any motorcycle specific sat nav (ie waterproof) always seem to go for shedloads no matter how old. Other people's definition of shedloads might be different to mine due to my intrinsic tightness.

Where abouts did you order that from? I've had the odd look on ebay but any motorcycle specific sat nav (ie waterproof) always seem to go for shedloads no matter how old. Other people's definition of shedloads might be different to mine due to my intrinsic tightness.

ive got a chinese motorcycle sat nav. it's very good. i bought it on aliexpress for £62 delivered. it's survived the rain.

The route I've planned so far involves the B500 south through the Black Forest towards the Alps. Not sure if I'm leaving sat or sunday yet, probably late sat.

i quite like the B500. It's not as good as the myth, but the last stretch isnt half bad. loads of roads around the Feldberg and Todtnau are pretty decent. The Ballons across the Rhine are as good too - i once went around the High Vosges in the snow, that was amusing on two wheels.

Was that from Glasgow Gumtree this week? If it was then I think you got a great deal. I saw it and almost bought it as I loved the one I had about 12 years ago. Owning 8 bikes already and getting vibration whitefinger if I ride an SR or XT for more than an hour meant common sense eventually prevailed and I decided to pass on it. 

Still jealous though, great buy.

attachicon.gifsr500b.JPG

Bot

Got 3 SR500s now.

Guest Hooli

i quite like the B500. It's not as good as the myth, but the last stretch isnt half bad. loads of roads around the Feldberg and Todtnau are pretty decent. The Ballons across the Rhine are as good too - i once went around the High Vosges in the snow, that was amusing on two wheels.

I avoid frogshire on principle as I've never met anyone there who wasn't a grumpy cunt so it seemed the best route south.

I've got it roughly planned till day 5 now, except for 'tyre' having some daft issues pretending a couple of roads can't be ridden end to end. The points are in the right place though so the tomtom should know better when it arrives. Roughly speaking I ride down the B500, turn right across swizzerlund, do the highest road & pass (different places) in froggyland, then turn left & head up towards the furkapass etc. After that it's on towards Stelvio & after that I don't know yet.

ETA, all routes in swizzland avoid their motorways as a) why use them in the alps 2) sod paying for a vinegarette

im about 80% on going to Alsace/Black Forest next week.

im only on a daytrip but if im delayed by more than hour and half ill miss the ferry back

fri and sat it was anywhere from hour and half to 5 hours - im just gonna bimble in kent if that happens

post-179-0-47034400-1532975800_thumb.jpg

Apparently these will be available for £500 down, then £65 pm.  It's unbearably cute and I really badly want one, even though I can't think of a single use for it.  It does a claimed 189mpg but the ~60mph top speed would make it a liability on my commute (which includes a section of M3).  And I'd be worried sick about it being stolen.  Please dissuade me...

It's not as dinky as the original:

post-179-0-39852000-1532976523_thumb.jpg

monkey.jpg

Apparently these will be available for £500 down, then £65 pm. It's unbearably cute and I really badly want one, even though I can't think of a single use for it. It does a claimed 189mpg but the ~60mph top speed would make it a liability on my commute (which includes a section of M3). And I'd be worried sick about it being stolen. Please dissuade me...

It's not as dinky as the original:

more.jpg

Want! I’ll have to try one. I’m doing about 100 miles a week @50mpg on my Vespa.. so presumably this would pay for itself?

Guest Hooli

It's not a bike specific one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMTOM-START-20-SATNAV-WITH-4-3-EUROPE-UK-ROI-MAPS-4EN42-RF179/222562786681?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But I plan to put it in the tank bag & wrap it in a sandwich bag if it rains too much. At that price if it dies of water ingress in a couple of years it's still worth it.

Its not a monkey bike exactly is it, looks more like a grom with monkey bike styling.

A few guys at work ride groms, generally for lower speed commuting but they did ride them to the isle of man.

56mph drafting lorries is apparently the one on the motorway, can't say I'd want to do it lots but they are a hoot to ride.

It's not a bike specific one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMTOM-START-20-SATNAV-WITH-4-3-EUROPE-UK-ROI-MAPS-4EN42-RF179/222562786681?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But I plan to put it in the tank bag & wrap it in a sandwich bag if it rains too much. At that price if it dies of water ingress in a couple of years it's still worth it.

That's a surprisingly obvious solution which means it's unsurprising I didn't think of it.

I've got an old navman that would give me something to play with as well to see if I actually use it enough to get something more up to date / bother looking at a way of charging on the move.

In relation to the new monkey bike, I really don't see the appeal, where the original monkey bike might make sense if you are putting on the back of a camper etc... At least with the remade cub, it had leg shields so might offer something over the grom?

Grom wise at least I know I'd be getting my knee down each time I rode, as I reckon I'd have to dismount by rolling off it after riding it for more than a mile. It is nice there is a non race rep desirable 125 now teenagers are stuck on 125s even with a full licence.

Guest Hooli

That's a surprisingly obvious solution which means it's unsurprising I didn't think of it.

I've got an old navman that would give me something to play with as well to see if I actually use it enough to get something more up to date / bother looking at a way of charging on the move.

I've never bothered before but when trying to plan a route around the Alps it seemed handy & at that price it'll probably pay for itself in fuel saved by not going wrong on a single trip. Plus I already have a 12v socket on the bike so even easier to sort out.

I went for Tomtom as along with Garmin (& another I forget) you can use 'tyre' to plan the routes on a PC & just send the itinerary to the device which makes life easier.