The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Had a nice ride out this morning on the bike, it was a bit chilly and my new helmet is draughty as fuck but I'm liking the old FZ1, its comfy and goes like fuck, it even handles fairly well but needs setting up as I've not touched the suspension since buying it, also fitted a loudener for a bit more noise and to remove about 20kg of weight as the old bazooka standard can weighed a ton, in doing so its also got rid of one of the cats and the exup valve, there is another one in the down pipes which I'll remove next week.

Loudener pic

Before

nI39S4V.jpg

After

IcFLiaS.jpg

Managed to get a Ventura luggage system sorted for the RC8 from 3 different sellers (brackets and sports rack from one, grab rail from another and pack rack from a third) for well under 30% of the new price. I like the system as i can remove it in 2 minutes, and luggage wont move like it would bungee'd on. Just need the 51 litre bag to go with it now

A secondhand one on ebay with storm cover sold for £110 plus £12.00 postage. I can get a brand new bag for £112 and £24 for the storm cover with free postage. People are weird at times.

That looks remarkably unbuggered. Not often I've seen these without a load of tat thrown at it.

It comes from the Netherlands, they dont tend to invest in the tat like Blighty (Thank the lord) and they dont use any salt on the roads! - Its going back to '93 spec, have a bit of paintwork to tidy it up and strip clean. It will take a few weeks but worth it :)  

I stick with halfrauds oil as all other others cause more rattles & the gearbox seems rougher. I guess it suits my bike.

I use the halfords oil in all my bikes including trackday racer, its good stuff.

I only stray if I get a better deal on a branded oil like Petronas which is a little cheaper with a Halfords trade card atm

It comes from the Netherlands, they dont tend to invest in the tat like Blighty (Thank the lord) and they dont use any salt on the roads! - Its going back to '93 spec, have a bit of paintwork to tidy it up and strip clean. It will take a few weeks but worth it :)

My mate has a paint shop and has had an increasing number of bikes to do as a few of his friends have made a business out of buying 80's Jap bikes from Belgium, Holland and Central Italy for just this reason. Most they buy just need a little bit of paintwork doing to the main parts of the bikes (tank, fairings, seat panels,) as the frames are usually rust free and need no work. Most of those I've seen that he has had there still have the original exhaust systems on them (including the three Honda CX650 Turbo's he has done).

Took my NC for a lap of Glamorgan. Generally really nice and much warmer than the weekend, with the odd heavy shower. Need to put a new front tyre on, so ordered a maxxis ST (£40 del). Will fit once it arrives. Need to service the NC soon, i buy oil and filters bulk, so no expense incurred, just need to do it when I do the tyre.

Awaiting a new shock for my FZR1000, it failed the mot last week, on sod all rear damping [counldnt argue with my local mot guy]. Also ordered the lower linkage rose-joint, as that is sloppy - the oem yamaha part is £45! so managed to find a generic bearing that will fit on ebay for 1/5 price. Will be good to get it back on the road and actually handling this time.

post-17522-0-49542000-1522772205_thumb.jpg

My mate has a paint shop and has had an increasing number of bikes to do as a few of his friends have made a business out of buying 80's Jap bikes from Belgium, Holland and Central Italy for just this reason. Most they buy just need a little bit of paintwork doing to the main parts of the bikes (tank, fairings, seat panels,) as the frames are usually rust free and need no work. Most of those I've seen that he has had there still have the original exhaust systems on them (including the three Honda CX650 Turbo's he has done).

Totally,

We usually restore early Honda Fireblades but the home markets have cottoned on to the values and they are increasing there too much to find at a decent price, hence looking at YZF750's, same period and I think the values will be on the up.

Jim Moore from Practical Sportsbikes has just bought the pink/white one that came over with this one and anything featured tends to get folk looking for them!   

Off with the kids this week so decided to finally fire the carbs back together, and with no one to say otherwise I done it in the warmth of the dining room

Credit to Wifey she didn't complain about the petrol smell when she came home, keeper!

Float levels all in tolerance, set pilots to slightly richer than stock and then had a look at how the rubber trumpets are mounted.... Seems they weren't on properly with some air gaps especially on no. 4 carb.

I've always struggled with problems around the pilot end of the rev range, could never get it nailed down so hoping this is it....

Left the rubbers to soak in Nice hot water and I'll use the hair dryer to soften them tomorrow before refitting properly.

Ill get them back on, balanced, and then ill have a play with the pilot screws. Bit of a faff with 4 carbs but weaken them till they run badly, richen till they run badly the other way and go for somewhere in the middle. We shall see..... 5f4e1774d8726b9f1552398c7aea9a4c.jpg8828917dda217afefa04626f424230f0.jpge3a1a18694565cb1871c618f755eb7c7.jpg

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

400 mile day today on the FZ1, had a ride into N Wales with a mate, had a go on his 11k mile 18 year old thundercat, its alright apart from having shit brakes (which it shouldn't have),  mega sore arse now though, is there a bike out there with a comfy seat? I've not had one yet and I've had a few bikes :(

RAJtYz9.jpg

RC8 has a comfortable seat - little in the way of padding, so nothing to compress, and just the right shape, at least for a 300 mile run I did.

Riding it to Slovakia next month so will find out if it is as good after 2,500 miles.

The new Kawasaki Z1000SX I rode for 150 miles today was uncomfortable after the first 100, no fun at all.

My 14 has a comfy seat, but I seem to recall you think they are like riding a bus?

Nope never said that as I've never ridden one so I can't comment, I have had dozens of bikes over the last 10 years and I can safely say apart from the old ZZR1100 I've not had one that does not become uncomfortable after an hour, I even have an airhawk cushion thing and that doesn't help much at all for a full days riding, I think I just have an awkward arse.

^^^Nice-not seen one of those for a long time.

My Guzzi 1200 Sport is comfortable for distances-sit in it rather than on it, and it suits my arm/body/leg sizes.

I also use sheepskin on my seats when doing any distance. Makes a huge difference to comfort, not that many people believe me.

Sheepskin and a gel pad seat if you can get one really help

I have one of the super duper airhawk seat pads that cost £lots and which are supposed to be the best but my arse still suffers after a couple of hours, anyway enough about my arse, I went into the garage and the bike was white with salt, so I have just cleaned it again, is winter going to end??

Guest Hooli

Nope never said that as I've never ridden one so I can't comment, I have had dozens of bikes over the last 10 years and I can safely say apart from the old ZZR1100 I've not had one that does not become uncomfortable after an hour, I even have an airhawk cushion thing and that doesn't help much at all for a full days riding, I think I just have an awkward arse.

I had a feeling you'd had a XJR that wasn't nimble enough & they are pretty similar.

This week I was able to pick the SRX up from my brother.

It has a bit of a problem, it cuts out intermittently, which I knew about, so I can deal with.

More than a bit pissed off that it has sat in his garden, uncovered, all winter.

So rust is seeping out of ever seam, pore, nut and bolt.

If it wasn't family i think I would have walked away.

So... Today's plan is to take little un to swimming, then drop her at friends, come home and spend the day fettling.

It is a handsome beast though and physically tiny, I will get some photos later.