The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Nope!

The bloke on the red 200 (4th pic down) has had the exhaust/chip/roller/stage 4 upgrade and said it pulled like a train now and would sit at 85mph on the flat on the motorway.  That's quite tempting, less so the eight hundred odd quid it'll cost. 

I'd imagine you could pick up a scruffy suzuki for less that that and keep all of your stuff standard then have at least 400cc of bragging rights?

new ferrari or ape

ape.

U WOT M8?

Feck that, A holiday in Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Bali is what you meant to say.

The price of a Ferrari would let you do a good lap of Aus and NZ by bike then ride back with change!

top nearly good gear compared the new fezza to an ape cos theyve both been going 70 years

ape never changed why has the ferrari etc

would buy ape. end.

Feck that, A holiday in Fiji, Tonga, Samoa or Bali is what you meant to say.

The price of a Ferrari would let you do a good lap of Aus and NZ by bike then ride back with change!

and no - ive been through fiji which youd need to be at to go to the others

feck that

and a good lap of both islands of nz will be done soon and will not be costing anywhere near a ferrari

edit if i had the price of one of those ferraris in my pocket i wouldnt be buying - id be retiring :D

With apologies in advance for the horrible image.

I mentioned a few pages above how I get horrible eyes after riding.

THIS is today after coming home from the MoT.  It had actually gone down a lot by this point, when I saw myself in the mirror a couple of hours after getting home - maybe an hour before taking this - it was redder and swollen with what looked like a water-filled blister under the red bit.  It feels like I've been punched.

post-24362-0-10552100-1522179717_thumb.jpg

What the hell is going on?  I haven't cleaned the helmet out but I absolutely will before using it again.  Anyone experienced this before?

Crappy phone photo above makes me think of conjunctivitis.

Do you wear contacts? If so stop right now until it clears.

Pop to the local apocarathary and get some chloramphenicol 0.5% eye drops. Even if its not conjunctivitis they will soothe the eyes. Then get them seen properly.

Try an antihistamine and see if that tackles it. Could be that you're sensitive to helmet clabber. Are your lips ok?

Could still be the above, but helmet cleaning and a trip to the doc's is in your near future, I predict.

If it's an allergic reaction, a slip on helmet liner (silk balaclava type thing) might stop the reaction happening so strongly, or quickly. GLWT...

(I suffer from chronic eczema, and anything abrading my skin sets it off, so you have my sympathy, helmets are a pain in the cunt.)

Try an antihistamine and see if that tackles it. Could be that you're sensitive to helmet clabber. Are your lips ok?

Could still be the above, but helmet cleaning and a trip to the doc's is in your near future, I predict.

If it's an allergic reaction, a slip on helmet liner (silk balaclava type thing) might stop the reaction happening so strongly, or quickly. GLWT...

(I suffer from chronic eczema, and anything abrading my skin sets it off, so you have my sympathy, helmets are a pain in the cunt.)

Helmets are a pain in the cunt? That's what our lass says!

It's weird. Totally back to normal today.

I used to commute on the moped wearing this helmet and never had an issue. Now I get this for several hours afterwards.

First time it happened I went to the pharmacist, he thought it was hay fever and gave me antihistamines. It cleared up quickly, but no quicker than it does when I don't take anything.

I do wear contact lenses, but I didn't when I was commuting because shift work. I was wondering if my eyes maybe didn't like being in traffic fumes with contacts rather than glasses, but then I've never had this problem on a bicycle.

Thanks for the thoughts, helmet will be thoroughly cleaned tonight.

It's weird. Totally back to normal today.

I used to commute on the moped wearing this helmet and never had an issue. Now I get this for several hours afterwards.

First time it happened I went to the pharmacist, he thought it was hay fever and gave me antihistamines. It cleared up quickly, but no quicker than it does when I don't take anything.

I do wear contact lenses, but I didn't when I was commuting because shift work. I was wondering if my eyes maybe didn't like being in traffic fumes with contacts rather than glasses, but then I've never had this problem on a bicycle.

Thanks for the thoughts, helmet will be thoroughly cleaned tonight.

Does your helmet have a visor or are you in contact with head on breeze?

Does your helmet have a visor or are you in contact with head on breeze?

It does have a visor, I tend to open it at low speeds and shut it on the move. Mind you it was quite warm yesterday so had it open more than usual... I might have a go with glasses on and see if that makes the difference.

I know, I know, it's always low speed on a Vision...

Edited to add - lips are fine, it's just the eyes.

I'm hypersensitive to derv. Often riding along if I am behind a shitty, sooty diesel my eyes become a mess. The worst thing is if I pick up a petrol pump nozzle and some nonce has splash disease-al over it when putting the bloody nozzle back, my hands burn and goodness help me if i rub my eyes or touch my lips for a good few hours afterwards. That might or some other similar emission be the cause.

It does have a visor, I tend to open it at low speeds and shut it on the move. Mind you it was quite warm yesterday so had it open more than usual... I might have a go with glasses on and see if that makes the difference.

I know, I know, it's always low speed on a Vision...

Edited to add - lips are fine, it's just the eyes.

Surely it'll be your eye getting bruised by your lenses coming into contact with the breeze? + 1 for trying glasses. 

Oil brands: how much should I care?

Looking to change the oil and filter on my new SV, I can get the following off of the ebay:

A brand I've never heard of for £25.40

Motul for £25.49

Putoline for £26.99

Silkolene for £28.50

Motorex or Shell for £29.99

Are any of these nearly £5 better than the others?

I reckon I will go with Motul as I've heard of it and it's only a few pence more than the cheapest no-brand.

Looking to change the oil and filter on my new SV, I can get the following off of the ebay:

Motul for £25.49

Putoline for £26.99

Silkolene for £28.50

I reckon I will go with Motul as I've heard of it and it's only a few pence more than the cheapest no-brand.

Halfords used to be cheap but not anymore made by rock oil

All those are good

Motul for £25.49

Putoline for £26.99

Silkolene for £28.50

Just buy the cheapest 10w40 JASO-MA oil. It's all much of a muchness.

I buy the 20L cans from ebay for £52ish. Never had a problem with it. Does 5-6 changes for cheap.

Guest Hooli

I stick with halfrauds oil as all other others cause more rattles & the gearbox seems rougher. I guess it suits my bike.