The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

They probably sold quite well in 1971. Japanese bike industry (in the UK at least) was still in it's infancy and the British competition was still the BSA Bantam which was in its last year of production after being made almost unchanged for about 400 years............

I saw that in your garage when I collected the Xevo from you, and I had not seen one for many years. A friend had one as his first bike in 1976-it had been badly hand painted, emited 

plumes of exhaust smoke all the time, and was forever being over taken by Fizzies. Didn't have it long before he bought a brand new (and very yellow) CZ175 trail. 

From what I've read (which was, admittedly, a while ago) Neval Motorcycles only imported these from 1974, badging them as 'Cossack', with that name on the log book. All the Cossack ones I've seen were Phase 2 bikes like this one:

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.ytimg.

Mine is a 1971 bike, registered as a Voskhod at new. I asked on a (now disappeared) Russian bike forum, but no-one had any idea who imported it.

The early Soviet bikes were imported by Star motorcycles in Walthamstow I believe

emited plumes of exhaust smoke all the time, and was forever being over taken by Fizzies.

There is a brilliant video on YouTube somewhere of an Eastern European dude doing a classic bike-type review video of one of these. He walks around it, chatting away, then jumps on and starts it, at which point it disappears in the biggest two-stroke mushroom cloud you have ever seen :-D

They probably sold quite well in 1971. Japanese bike industry (in the UK at least) was still in it's infancy and the British competition was still the BSA Bantam which was in its last year of production after being made almost unchanged for about 400 years............

Interestingly, this and the Bantam are related, in as much as they are both designs derived from the pre-war DKW RT125, the design of which was given to the allied forces as war reparations.

Holy crap, a Voskhod! I haven't seen one of those since my university days. I had a mate there who seemed to collect these Russian/Eastern Bloc orphans, such delights as Cossack, Dneipr, Neval and many others such as CZ & Jawa too. He had about a dozen at any one time in his folks garden and an old Sherpa van to fetch them with! We had great fun fixing and faffing about on them. 

I rode a few of them, now bearing in mind I was used to the refined style (ahem..) of an '69 MGB and a £100 '80 CB250RS, they were truly awful things in comparison!!! But they were huge fun in a barking mad, OMG-I'm-going-to-die type way. We used to go to random places as a group of about three or four of us, seeing how far we could get without some form of breakdown. Often, not that far, the engineering or lack thereof, had to be seen to be believed, all this from a nation that put the first man in space too. My AA relay card saw some use I can tell you.

From memory, most of these wonderful heaps were either free or barely £30 at best. (as in literally 'Get this shit out of my garden' usually).

Thanks for the memory refresh SA. Fun times.

Prior to the busa I had a '92 GSXR 750 wn. Immaculate with 17k on the clock - I got £850 for it. More than likely because of the colour - metallic purple that was reminiscent of a diadora shell suit circa 1990.

When I went looking for a busa I wanted an unrestriced one in copper bronze and silver - not many sold and not as popular as silver/blue and black/red.

Tonight a bike identical to mine with higher miles sold for £5200 - usually they sell for £2.5 in average condition with average mileage. The reason it went for so much must have been the paint scheme.

Unlike with my 750 I hav'nt dropped a bollock this time.

I'm starting to feel like I should finish the job now, and actually ride it...

Do it. They are the kind of vehicle where every journey is a bit of a lottery as to whether you'll get there without a breakdown - and let's be honest here, we've all had examples of that. If you do then the sense of achievement is great! 

In that way, probably not best suited to your regular ride-to-work transport to be honest.