The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

post-5762-0-97799800-1491764024_thumb.jpg

More bike buyage this weekend though not really autoshite as it's in uncharacteristically (for me) good condition.

Electric start XR250 which is a rare old beastie. 2003 model which by my bike buying standards is so new it's almost from the future. Quite taken by it so I think the XR650's days are numbered, I'm still sulking after it broke my leg last year. For now it's been dumped in the shed and will probably be rebuilt/repaired over the winter in time to be sold this time next year. Now sitting at 1 car and 7 bikes so things are getting just a bit silly!

Bent CBR is fixed!  It was indeed a twisted bottom yoke, a £20 used one from eBay has seen it back on the road this weekend.  I don't like it though... my other bike do everything better.  In other news, I am sorely tempted by a Van Van 200.  Look how cute it is!  It's only a smidge faster than the hopeless 125 version though, and it's £4K on the road.

071316-2017-suzuki-vanvan-200-L7_RV200_Y

I've finally got round to pulling the engine out of my Vespa to fit the kit & exhaust.

My new piston kit didn't come with a gudgeon pin, and the one from the 125 piston looks too short. 

Is it OK to use it or do I need to get the right one? Nowhere seems to sell them separately except SIP scootershop who have a £40 minimum order.

The old one is about 2mm too short.

30 miles in the Shropshire countryside, in the sun only one breadown, crap in the carburattor which thanks to my mate was duly cleaned out.

Happy as can be. Bike running okay hit max speed at one point an earth shattering 31mph (which on this bike is no mean feat and feels more like 131 mph).

Nicks bike (the blue one) runs faster still, time for polishing the ports I think...... The orange beast is mine, both cooling down after a dual carriageway session

post-3382-0-54091800-1491848287_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1347.JPG

More bike buyage this weekend though not really autoshite as it's in uncharacteristically (for me) good condition.

Electric start XR250 which is a rare old beastie. 2003 model which by my bike buying standards is so new it's almost from the future. Quite taken by it so I think the XR650's days are numbered, I'm still sulking after it broke my leg last year. For now it's been dumped in the shed and will probably be rebuilt/repaired over the winter in time to be sold this time next year. Now sitting at 1 car and 7 bikes so things are getting just a bit silly!

Ah, I had a grey import '92 XR/XLR250 about ten years ago, looked pretty much the same as yours (albeit, your's looks shinier!) but mine was kick not electric start. Also, the headlamp looks the same, if it is, it's utterly useless! 

Really liked my XR, great town bike with enough grunt for the open road (not really m/ways tho'), I'm not an off-roader so never did worse than gravelly/muddy tracks. Very nice and simple, cheap to run & easy to work on too.  Wouldn't mind another. 

I.ve come to the decision that I need another sportsbike in my life, just for fun. Most of my bikes are old, or shite, or have 70,000 miles on them. The Harley will be going as I find it really uncomfortable to ride.

So my target is one of these:

post-19526-0-23201400-1492292865_thumb.jpg

Ticks all the boxes-v-twin, its not a Ducati, its different looking. My mate runs a KTM dealership not far from me and says they have no major faults, that spares are available, and servicing isn't expensive compared to Fireblades, GSX-R's etc. The only issue I've come across is that there aren't that many for sale.

Was there not some other "125 learner law dodge" shite for blanking off a cylinder on a 250 or am I just imagining that and making pish up now?

Think I heard something like that, think it was an LC or X7 with one barrel,head and rod removed and a blanking plate fixed over the crankcase, but I may well be wrong..

I passed my test in 1976 on a Honda SS50 moped. I removed all the pedal assembly (did you ever try to pedal an SS50, or a Fizzie, or an AP50, etc.? Ridiculous) and bolted on a set of footrests from a C50 (same engine casings) so it was a motorbike. Went out and bought a Honda Goldwing the next day (OBJ 383P where are you?).

Guest Hooli

Very lucky and excited to have been gifted a set of incredibly hard to find sidecar fittings for my MZ, just need to find a lightweight chair for reasonable money now!

There was a MZ at Squires today, I've never seen so much smoke from an engine without something metal coming out the block just afterwards.

Was there not some other "125 learner law dodge" shite for blanking off a cylinder on a 250 or am I just imagining that and making pish up now?

Yep you could get a kit for the 250 superdream which was basically a piston with a hole in it and some blanking plugs...

Superdream all the weight of a 400 all the performance of a 125 as standard..

I'm slimming down the car fleet to concentrate on my bikes again.

The first job was to exhume the CBX750F and mend the wiring fault in the sidelights circuit, which meant that there was no power to the rear light cluster... the bike had been stolen / recovered at some point in its past, the previous owner had repaired* the ignition switch and installed about a mile of cable to 'bypass' the fault, although this 'repair' had not proved to be durable in the long term.

I ripped out the non-standard cables and traced the fault to the brown wire for the sidelights circuit having been neglected during previous owner's attempt at mending the ignition switch. Now sorted :-D

Pic of the bike:

post-5091-0-09427300-1492523486_thumb.jpg