The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Depends on the engine - sometimes it's outer pair, inner pair then the two pairs (1&4 against 2&3). Bandits for instance are different, you balance 1&2 as a pair, then 3&4 as a pair, then balance the two pairs (1&2 against 3&4). 

That's exactly what I meant. The order is the same on my GSX14.

Oh & xtriple, the 'fixed' carb on these is No3.

I have some New pictures as it was light. We put a proper sized L plate on the back and also put an L plate on the front and also a top box.

20170207_154106_zps3svkuekp.jpg

Thanks Thomas

They are cracking bikes, a friend had one of these (exactly the same as yours) and I was surprised just how well it rode and how big it was, they definitely don't look like a 125, and are all day comfy, I was in agony after a day out with him on my GXSR750, they are not very fast but what can you do when limited to 12bhp?

Jazoli, can you give me a shout on here when PHBB do rideouts this year. I've never been back to look since I got banned, but it'd good to meet up with them all (& you) again.

Jazoli, can you give me a shout on here when PHBB do rideouts this year. I've never been back to look since I got banned, but it'd good to meet up with them all (& you) again.

I will do, we don't do the big rideouts any more as there were too many turning up and riding way beyond their abilities even at the moderate pace we were setting, it was getting silly and Simon, John and myself got sick of it after one too many minor mishaps so now its very much low key with a few of the original BB lot and a couple of experienced newbies, you would be more than welcome to join us if you promise to behave ;), if you pm me your number I'll message you through the group whatsapp chat when we go out, probably won't be for at least a month or so as we are all soft FWB's :D

This was one of our first ones, with you in the (crap) picture, how many years ago was that? I had the ZZR11 so it must have been  2009 ish

devilsbridgemeet_zpsd2b9f78c.jpg

I think that was the first one I ever went on. Damn glad you lot rode slow too, I had enough trouble keeping up at that pace! But then I'd rather fall back than fall off.

My bike won't be back on the road till march at the earliest, depends how quick I get all the stuff done it needs doing. Not even ordered the chain n sprockets yet, got the front half to rebuild first. I'm even cleaning it as I go, I think it deserves it.

PM on it's way.

I recognize that name from other forums (fora?) Hooli, you gave me some advice by email a few years back regarding my 1400, cheers, I've still got it, will post some pics of my fleet soon.

Montytom, nice Varadero, they're great bikes, I had one and it was fantastic even if the starter motor started playing silly buggers one day forcing me to scrabble around tapping it with a small stone every time I needed to start it, bit awkward on the CBT! I always thought it a shame they didn't do a slightly bigger one say 250.

You're right I don't remember, but I'll guess it was on gsx1400.org or PH? Can't recall talking bikes anywhere else.

We've still got three GSX14s between us. I've got one for everything & Mrs Hooli has one for touring & one for best. Plus our assorted other bikes.

I've got a mate with one, looks pretty similar to a gsx14 to ride but I've not tried it. I know my 14 is dead comfy & I've got a buggered back, I can ride it all day without back issues.

All of which means nowt unless you've ridden a 14 of course.

I've ridden both xrj1200 and xjr1300sp although just a shot of friends bikes so no major miles. I liked both and recommend trying one out. Just like any other naked bike both need a small screen to make motorway+ speeds comfortable. I prefer the looks of the plain black original 1200 the best although that's just my personal taste. The ohlins shocks on the SP are good but are often referred to as not being "real" ohlins and I tend to agree. They are built to a budget rather than being a real best of everything like the aftermarket shocks are. This is because Yamaha owned a controlling stake in Ohlins at the time and it was good marketing. They are a good OEM shock but don't expect them to be worth £1200 a pair. Definitely get a ride on one and see what you think for yourself. XJR's are not cheap but hold their money really well. Good FJ1200's can be had sub £1k easily now so if on a budget the same engine can be had for a small spend.Yamaha finish (of this era) was not great so lots about with corroded alloy.

I find my 14 more comfy without a screen. I couldn't find a way to stop the screen making my head n shoulders wobble in turbulence, I'd rather get a bit more wind and feel comfy. Others may differ by my dodgy neck also prefers no screen. I did 35k on it one year, so I did get time to make sure I was correct, besides screens are ugly.

Bastard carbs on the Bandit. Stripped and ultrasonically cleaned, but still they are flooding-needle valves are worn so new ones on order. It's not just the carbs that are flooding out, but so is the fuel tap-no wonder it was doing less than 20mpg. And the oil has been dramatically thinned by petrol entering the crankcase. Suzuki don't do a rebuild kit for the tap (and want £80 for a new one). Turned all the gaskets around, but still leaking fuel. Fortunately someone other than Suzuki do a rebuild kit with o-rings, gaskets and diaphragms for 15% of the new tap price

Been treating rust on the 14's frame today, underside of the tank & under the fuel cap. I even cleaned a few bits which Jazoli won't believe.

It needs a full strip n powder coat, but that can wait a few years.

He was in Huddersfield, years since I used his services so I don't know if he's still about. He made a very nice job of recovering my old Vespa seat at a very reasonable price.

Well both the ones she got done weren't even straight. The hump in the middle of the seat was 2" further back on one side than the other! The stitching patterns were totally uneven & again didn't match side to side. Plus the foam didn't even seem level when you sat on them.

Had to lift the tank on my Superduke yesterday to check the air filter.  I was aware it may swell a little once released (it's plastic and doesn't like the ethanol), but I reckoned if I was quick it wouldn't get chance.  How wrong I was - I took the front bolt out and it IMMEDIATELY grew about 2cm in length.  There was no chance of it going back on.

2017-02-19%2010.30.59_zpsia6dpdvc.jpg

I became quite stressed at this point and worried I may have to buy a new one (I dread to think how much that would be, assuming it's even available - KTM are sods for discontinuing parts).  Some Googling suggested elongating the bolt holes on the rear mounts might provide a solution, so I took them off - but somebody had already done that.  So there was no option but to elongate them even more, and abandoning the front bolts (there's no clearance any longer).

2017-02-19%2010.31.11_zpsswmhokat.jpg

This was an improvement, but I still had to lever the front mount past the 'bars to get the bugger back on.  After all that, the air filter was very clean, the garage I bought it off must indeed have properly serviced it (I suspected they'd just changed the oil).

2017-02-19%2010.46.24_zps2feicgrp.jpg

Well both the ones she got done weren't even straight. The hump in the middle of the seat was 2" further back on one side than the other! The stitching patterns were totally uneven & again didn't match side to side. Plus the foam didn't even seem level when you sat on them.

He seemed to go through a bad patch a couple of years ago,think he took someone on who couldn't cut the mustard

He has a good reputation with a number of owners clubs

I had 1 of his seats on my RF900 and turned it into an all day comfy bike .......

Had to lift the tank on my Superduke yesterday to check the air filter. I was aware it may swell a little once released (it's plastic and doesn't like the ethanol), but I reckoned if I was quick it wouldn't get chance. How wrong I was - I took the front bolt out and it IMMEDIATELY grew about 2cm in length. There was no chance of it going back on.

I became quite stressed at this point and worried I may have to buy a new one (I dread to think how much that would be, assuming it's even available - KTM are sods for discontinuing parts). Some Googling suggested elongating the bolt holes on the rear mounts might provide a solution, so I took them off - but somebody had already done that. So there was no option but to elongate them even more, and abandoning the front bolts (there's no clearance any longer).

This was an improvement, but I still had to lever the front mount past the 'bars to get the bugger back on. After all that, the air filter was very clean, the garage I bought it off must indeed have properly serviced it (I suspected they'd just changed the oil).

That's shocking, is there no way they can be held accountable through warranty?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Had to lift the tank on my Superduke yesterday to check the air filter.  I was aware it may swell a little once released (it's plastic and doesn't like the ethanol), but I reckoned if I was quick it wouldn't get chance.  How wrong I was - I took the front bolt out and it IMMEDIATELY grew about 2cm in length.  There was no chance of it going back on.

I became quite stressed at this point and worried I may have to buy a new one (I dread to think how much that would be, assuming it's even available - KTM are sods for discontinuing parts).  Some Googling suggested elongating the bolt holes on the rear mounts might provide a solution, so I took them off - but somebody had already done that.  So there was no option but to elongate them even more, and abandoning the front bolts (there's no clearance any longer).

This was an improvement, but I still had to lever the front mount past the 'bars to get the bugger back on.  After all that, the air filter was very clean, the garage I bought it off must indeed have properly serviced it (I suspected they'd just changed the oil).

I had this on a 955 Daytona, took the tank off to replace the shitty quick release fittings underneath and couldn't get the tank back on, I never took the tank off my Speed Triple : :mrgreen:

Been treating rust on the 14's frame today, underside of the tank & under the fuel cap. I even cleaned a few bits which Jazoli won't believe.

It needs a full strip n powder coat, but that can wait a few years.

You're right, I don't believe you, but you'll never be able to prove it anyway as it'll be covered in a layer of grime again soon enough :D