The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

1 hour ago, Sham said:

The biggest issue with covering long distances on an RE would be the relatively short service intervals - if you're OK with those, they'd cope as well as any other bike.

An oil change on my Himalayan takes ten minutes, start to finish. Checking/adjusting the tappets take 20 minutes, just take care putting the tank back on so you don't trap or kink any hoses.

I have ridden mine on a 5000 km trip (from Spain) to France, Portugal and Spain. Did a scheduled oil change and tappet check halfway through as it was due.

I would not have used mine on my commute, as it was 120 miles a day (110 of that on dual carriageways and motorway), but if it was on NSL roads, then I may well have done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, straightSix said:

How do you reckon the Himi would cope with an 80 mile round commute, mainly nsl A roads with a bit of traffic either end? 

Would be great.  I use mine on a 60 mile round trip commute. Mine is on all types of road except motorways though. Mainly B roads and smaller lanes. I love it. There are plenty durable enough. Nathan Millward reckoned you could push certain service intervals back though without adverse affect such as valves to every 6k for example, but check that before you take my word for it. Need to check my valves in around 200 miles.

They get 85mpg roughly, parts are cheap. Only thing I would consider swapping mine for is a T7 or a CRF300 but they both cost  more and the CRF is a bit more awkward to carry luggage and more of a theft magnet so I wouldn't be rushing to change it to one of those.

• Like 2

Sounds ideal then. Got to admit the sound of 80+mpg definitely appeals. I'm using my VFR to commute atm and whilst it's fun to drive it's not great on fuel and I'd like to have some panniers for my packed lunch 

14 minutes ago, straightSix said:

Sounds ideal then. Got to admit the sound of 80+mpg definitely appeals. I'm using my VFR to commute atm and whilst it's fun to drive it's not great on fuel and I'd like to have some panniers for my packed lunch 

Don't know if you are buying new or used but 3g would get you a good condition low mileage bike. Prices will probably drop again when the 450 gets here but who knows? Mine was less than that and it had  1300miles and the metals panniers fitted. One local to me sold recently with 300miles for £3000.

I also have a Honda NC750 that I purchased to do my longer trips. The Himalayan I still use for some long trips though, dependant on route and how I feel.

The NC od great, as over the 12,000 kms I have done on it since April, it has averaged 86.4 mpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, straightSix said:

How do you reckon the Himi would cope with an 80 mile round commute, mainly nsl A roads with a bit of traffic either end? 

Great. Depends on your mindset and how much you wish to break the law cos on nsl's you wont be. No twisty route? Took a double longer one this morning just for the giggles as thats where its at. 

12 hours ago, Sham said:

The biggest issue with covering long distances on an RE would be the relatively short service intervals - if you're OK with those, they'd cope as well as any other bike.

Do they? Must look at my book! Id think a under stressed lump would need far less care than a revvy single. Have changed the oil will do again in 4/5 k as gets a pasting. 

edit; nsl national speed limit? sorry having a brain fart. It'll do 70 though happier not. 

Edited by Rustybullethole

On 05/08/2023 at 14:10, hairnet said:

fucking lol at the insurance

so its due and i meant to ring them to pay for it cos id got a fresh card and autorenew had already said no (i forgot to ring them yesterday) and rang them today

having got quotes already cos places dont tell you miles in advance anymore you might get a week

quotes were roughly same as now tried comp and its wasnt too much more

so rang them and said you know its tpft - can i comp it instead

LOL at the quote which was cheaper than the quote id already got of which my current insurer was the cheapest

7 quid saved over the online quote lol

they tried to sell me keycover - the two things you guard with life are keys and wallet - everything else can be lost  - cos its a colossal pain in the arse if you do - never lost one only broke it

and car insurance - in my head im thinking errrr no youre a motorcycle insurer

which was renewed last month

Key insurance is great if you've lost one of the keys and need another.....or is that technically fraud. 

7 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Do they? Must look at my book! Id think a under stressed lump would need far less care than a revvy single. Have changed the oil will do again in 4/5 k as gets a pasting. 

Every 3k if memory serves, valves every time.

By comparison my SV is 7.5k oil change, with valves every 15k I think. Also is averaging around 75mpg, with a best tank of 78. My lads old YBR125 is 4.5k for 'revvy single'.

Cb500x does 80mpg and is on a 8k / 16k oil/ valves check schedule . Admittedly the valve check is more involved but plenty of people have done silly mileage on them and never even checked them 

On 8/17/2023 at 6:00 AM, Sham said:

Every 3k if memory serves, valves every time.

By comparison my SV is 7.5k oil change, with valves every 15k I think. Also is averaging around 75mpg, with a best tank of 78. My lads old YBR125 is 4.5k for 'revvy single'.

Just checked and book says every 5k with valve inspection and adjustment at same interval. 3 did sound a bit much though a book 5 i can understand for a one pot banger. I need to make time give mine a proper going over before its next big trip. 

Happy times in Spain 

1C6F7F45-8BFE-4286-9168-6FE414919980.thumb.jpeg.0e155efcac655635e32e14d8edbc887b.jpeg

The BM rode all the way home from that one too. 

On 8/17/2023 at 6:38 AM, twosmoke300 said:

Cb500x does 80mpg and is on a 8k / 16k oil/ valves check schedule . Admittedly the valve check is more involved but plenty of people have done silly mileage on them and never even checked them 

Took one of my old cbs from 70k to 150 odd with clutch plates being the only internal part that saw the light of day. Cos wheelies.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 3:39 PM, straightSix said:

Am liking front mounted panniers. Can see when stuff falls out when they're loaded to the point of non fastening and often prevent that on the move rather than arriving at your destination only to have to retrace steps. They are also easier to dodge wing mirrors with and keep knees out of the weather.

I've small Lomo bags on the front frames on mine. Tools and Hi-viz in the right hand one, tyre repair can and bottles of water in the left. Been on for the last 3.5 years and I've only opened the left one. Great bags, cheap, British made and 100%waterproof. Seem very UV resistant too.

I took my GSX-R 750 from 20,000 miles to 180,000 miles. Never checked the valves. Only used the cheapest oil I could find, which I changed at 10,000 miles. Engine still good when the bike was destroyed in a crash.

• Like 1

An observation.

Most of the riders I have seen this summer are riding sensible sit upright style bikes - plastic rockets seem to have vanished off the face of the earth.

Maybe it's middle aged riders - I dunno.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

An observation.

Most of the riders I have seen this summer are riding sensible sit upright style bikes - plastic rockets seem to have vanished off the face of the earth.

There is definitely more naked/supernaked bikes for sale, that seems to be popular now. 

One thing against the crotch rocket might be the ever increasing cost, a place near me has a Fireblade for sale that is somehow £21k. 

https://www.bsbuk.co.uk/used-bikes/honda-cbr1000rr-r-fireblade-1000-sp-30th-anniversary-brighouse-202305187513762

2 minutes ago, Bren said:

An observation.

I think you are right. I still see a few 'sports' bikes about, but definitely a majority are the upright style. I must admit I do prefer my little GS Suzuki to the Triumph sprint. I just feel more comfortable and therefore more relaxed.  Still trying to persuade myself and SWMBO that I should get an RE of some description but a rather big MOT bill for the 75 has put that on hold for a bit I think. 

On another note I am seriously considering selling my GT185 next year as I just don't use it, maybe that's because of the great* summer we have had, or because I take the GS125 out as it doesn't matter so much if it gets wet or dirty. 

On 8/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, MT606 said:

its called a Salsbury model B5 superscooter, from 1949, 320cc single automatic, can do 60mph, foot brake and throttle.

20230815_174740.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday DIY avoidance. Back out on the lanes. I told her i had to pop to work for an hour or two. There was some truth in that as i needed to pick up some tools. Home now am busy drinking tea and browsing here. 

EC18B01E-1C6F-4C16-B441-4E230A427A91.thumb.jpeg.d693516e8ac5bf5b9b151cd60a21f491.jpeg

Is anyone near Bishops Stortford? My wife is after a CB500F and theres a decent/cheap one down there.

Massive trek for me to collect so if anyone could go and give it a once over for me, that would be awesome.

well, the GS went, bantam still here, but it has a new stablemate....

image.thumb.png.446ca4b7239631dd6e6436ea4a9a258a.png

2022 Honda CRF300L.

took it down to devon to do some lanes. fell off. five times. 🤣

image.thumb.png.4db24544b04a207b8c30e2512e515ea7.png

was great fun though. much more capable than the Bantam.  entered the Cotswold clouds at the beginning of september in preparation for the Edinburgh trial at the end of september.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2023 at 4:55 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

The NC od great, as over the 12,000 kms I have done on it since April, it has averaged 86.4 mpg

handbrake is on

remove paella from intake

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Is anyone near Bishops Stortford? My wife is after a CB500F and theres a decent/cheap one down there.

Massive trek for me to collect so if anyone could go and give it a once over for me, that would be awesome.

link?

1 hour ago, groovylee said:

well, the GS went, bantam still here, but it has a new stablemate....

image.thumb.png.446ca4b7239631dd6e6436ea4a9a258a.png

2022 Honda CRF300L.

took it down to devon to do some lanes. fell off. five times. 🤣

image.thumb.png.4db24544b04a207b8c30e2512e515ea7.png

was great fun though. much more capable than the Bantam.  entered the Cotswold clouds at the beginning of september in preparation for the Edinburgh trial at the end of september.

cant laugh at that

thats not funny

56 minutes ago, hairnet said:

cant laugh at that

thats not funny

It was a bit funny. Just not the next morning 🤣

We did some pretty gnarly hills, and I got better as we went on. Just need to practice some more 👍

• Like 1