Boring photo card licence thread

wackywacerwill

Apologies about the boring nature of this thread, I shall add a very interesting* redemption thread at some point soon it the near future.

My photo card licence may have expired some time last year. I'm frankly gutted I had so surrender my paper licence when I passed my bike test back in 2002ish for one of these new newfangled ones but that's another matter entirely.

I have the form (for some time) and have the option of sending it off to renew the pic with old photo card and lost paper bit attached though am not keen on giving up the old one in the hope that a new one will arrive with all entitlements attached.

I could do the lost/defaced/whatever tick box though it then needs sending to a different post code and could may cost twice the 20 quid buming I'm already due to receive.

Any one had this predicament before?

I suppose I could just sent it recorded/signed for and all that though I've still lost the paper bit they want anyhow and I've heard scare stories of lost entitlements and such like. I need my 7.5 tonne, minibus and big old trailer, motorcycle and whatnot for work as well as pleasure and will be pissed if they F it up.

Have a tagora for suffering this missery with me.

P1010049.JPG

I've heard the stories of lost entitlements and such but I think it is VERY rare if it happens at all. Had no bother when renewing mine or changing address.

Photocopy the old one showing the current entitlements then just send it off to renew it. If you do have any issues you can argue using the copy you've kept for proof.

• 8 years later...

#threaddredge#

I have just used my Photo Licence (well, number...) in an insurance quote search and it was flagged 'out of date'.... $hite!!

Tried to complete an online renewal but DVLA say no 'cannot verify my ID details' = yes, I have a passport number.......

The expiry was OCT 20 but govweb say "1 year auto extension on exp, COVID-19"

Also, it appears, I should be getting a renewal reminder letter...... Anyone had expiry come up/nag letter???

🙄

Looks like grief and aggro for a modern photo card thingy.  I’ve just renewed my Mums photocard license on-line and it was straightforward and arrived in a few days.  There was something about loosing some category entitlement iirc, but it was for something obscure  (for her) and I don’t really want her driving a tank or caterpillar track type whatever it was, if that is what it was.

Reminded me why I resolutely refuse to have a photocard license.  I got a paper one when I was sixteen and it’s done me just fine.  That was quite some time ago.  Must renew my passport though as I’m a bit stuffed if I need some date valid photo I’d.

I got a nag letter in July - licence expired Oct 2021 went to the post office a week or so after the letter arrived as I was off work where they did everything (photo, signature, check).

New photocard arrived in 4 days.

Miffed that the expiry date is now July not October 2031

Govt supposed to be abolishing them anyway.

43 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Govt supposed to be abolishing them anyway.

That's interesting, what are they going to replace it with? Another card? The paper part of the photo driving licence was abolished in June 2015, the information it contained (endorsements etc) being accessible on t'interweb, but I don't know there were any plans to abolish the card itself.

9 minutes ago, martc said:

That's interesting, what are they going to replace it with? Another card? The paper part of the photo driving licence was abolished in June 2015, the information it contained (endorsements etc) being accessible on t'interweb, but I don't know there were any plans to abolish the card itself.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-government-and-legislation/dvla-scrap-physical-driving-licences-online

An app for your phone apparently

2 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Interesting, it's OK for those who have a phone that will allow this (I don't). Fortunately for me (in yellow) ...

image.png.a6a0409f6b2ce61e0f961fea37dc960e.png

From here (because the Autocar site won't work for me - adblocker problems) https://www.techregister.co.uk/dvla-to-scrap-physical-driving-licences-and-mot-certificates/