Classico plastico renovation..advice please!

fotorabia

As mentioned in previous threads..the Mk3 Cortina rear screen louver I brought over from Australia..well...after 20 odds years baking in a scrapyard..its quite badly mottled...ive wiped it down with standard kitchen grease remover but to no avail..whats the trick..linseed oil?..and the sale fell thru on FB so offers still accepted-considered..dreams shattered!

IMG_3608_zps770f85b8.jpg

I wouldn't mess with it too much as if someone wants to paint it the oil might cause a problem. I'd either just wash it with fairy up liquid and leave it or clean it with steel wool/scotchbrite pad and give it a scoot over with some pound shop satin black paint.

I wonder who invented these things and what they were trying to achieve, they’re flipping mental aren’t they. Most boy racer mods throughout the ages have attempted to replicate some feature of a racing car or whatever and allow you to have a ‘hint’ of racing car as you drive down to the tip or off licence or whatever. But these things…. WTF are they all about? (I’m not dissing them by the way just wondering how they came to exist).

A search says this:

Rear window louvers were designed for sports cars that have the long, sloping rear window. they do NOT improve the aerodynamics of the vehicle as they create an area of turbulence in that area. However, they do not majorly reduce stability. The turbulent area over the louvers acts as a dead zone. While not noticeably increasing drag, the effect actually reduces lift on the rear of the vehicle. This reduction in lift is actually a good thing, similar to installing a spoiler to force the rear down to increase traction.

As for it's intended purpose, the louvers are set at a specific length and angle to block the maximum amount of sunlight while minimally restricting the drivers view. When the long rear windscreen first appeared it was quickly discovered that exposing that much of such a small cabin to direct sunlight creates a lot of heat in the cabin. Sun louvers were designed to combat that issue