Alfetta GTV - any good?

CortinaDave

A good one is a nice thing indeed, however as with all Alfas don't expect it to be cheap to run, overly reliable or rustfree and as the seller says it does have a thirst though you would think he would have expected that really!M main concern with that one would be how much needs spending to get through a test...

My mum had one for many years. Hers was only maybe 3 years old when she got it and I can rememer it needing welding very shortly after. Body repairs, welding and paint seemed to be a yearly occurence. Mechanically, it was little bother aside from some awkward jobs like the rear brake pads. The interior was nice and lasted well but had an odd driving position from what I remember. It was, for her at the time, her only car and thus a daily driver. I don't remember her ever really complaining about the fuel economy but then petrol was a lot cheaper then. At £400 that looks like a decent buy to me. Just a shame it's not an earlier one with the chrome bumpers.

don't expect it to be cheap to run

I can vouch for that! :roll:

overly reliable

Touchwood I'm ok on that score!

or rustfree

Nothing really to speak of here on a 2000 car.

as the seller says it does have a thirst though you would think he would have expected that really!

OH Yesss!

I've been for a run past and had a look as its sitting on the street! It looks bloody tidy.. and i think i may just buyUnfortunately im suffering from Too Much Shite at the moment I have my 2 cortinas in the drive - the mk4 is probably off road now till the spring, and the GXL has no MOT and a large hole in the back valance so its not in use either.2 calibras - my old one which my missus has been using - cant sell that till i get the LPG kit off it. I bought her that £150 fiesta to keep her quiet so thats outside too.and one that i bought as a daily runner to get me by a month or so ago which has actually turned out to be a bloody good car, so i now want to hold on to it.My Vectra's still kicking about somewhere while i wait on insurance settlement after it went on fire... and tonight ive been offered a mint ford probe (always fancied one) with a private plate and nice 17 in alloys on for not a lot of cash, so will probably end up with that too.I try to limit myself to three shite cars but its all getting out of hand... especially if i get the alfa too! aaargh!Ever find yourself snapping up yet another heap even though you're already pushed to the limit and dont want to sell any of it?

There is the odd scab here & there under the bonnet (not on the bonnet itself) - I wonder whether battery acid or the likes has leaked to cause that because it's weird it would only rust there.

Possibly - or are the rusty bits bolt-on stuff like the battery tray? SWMBO's '95 Punto has gone a bit like that.

I can vouch for the none rustiness of recent Alfas..... sold a '99 145 Cloverleaf in April, only had a couple of very tiny scabs in the engine bay and you had to be looking for them even then.However, mechanical reliability was what you would expect of an Alfa, hopeless. Whilst it was a superb car it was also the most expensive car to run I have ever owned with a constant procession of new parts required, most sourced only through main dealers and most priced as though they were cast from pure gold :roll:

Well, not wanting to jinx it - the only thing I've spent on mine since I got it in April has been petrol (and lots of it) touchwood.

That's not to say it doesn't need anything spent on it, I'm just holding off because the car still drives fine, just some niggles i.e. sensor(s) prob needs replacing so the revs stop rising & falling at idle, the variator might need replacing but I'm only guessing, needs a headlight bulb, new wipers, oh & after I struck that pheasant I need a new offside front foglight, the holding panel & a bit of paint on the bumper.

Apart from that everything's dandy. :lol:

Went for a look and it looks bloody decent for the money. If its still there once I've got some of my stupidly sized fleet sold i will tear his arm off.By the way cort16... i was talking to the man that bought the black 2.3 ghia from you.. he's spent over a grand on it getting a new paint job and overhauling the mechanics.. nice to know it went to a good home!

I was just thinking about it the other day.I sold him all the spare parts I had and he told me he'd bought new doors, boot lid, the whole lot.I'd like to see it when he's finished with it.I think his yellow 1.6 mk4 is on ebay just now.Your S was looking good in PC btw.