"It's a great car, but..."

John F

The Alfa Romeo 156. A superb car.

Supremely comfortable, quick, economical for what they are, great handling, and all round a car that appeals to both head and heart.

Except it eats all its suspension bushes like they are service items if not replaced as soon as they are making noise. As soon as one bush goes, it needs replacing before the rest all die. I changed all but the lower wishbones and ARB bushes on mine. Then you get out, turn to lock it with the big squidgy button on the top of the red key. It splots down without engaging the micro-switch, so you press a bit harder causing the key to explode and the pieces to fall down the drain you were stood next to.

The Lancia Y10.

Overall a peppy, surprisingly practical and enjoyable car to own, before it rots away to dust. The pedals are also a little close together, but frankly compared to the galloping rot, that is a very minor inconvenience.

The Hyundai Pony Excel 1.3 Sonnet Tropicana.

As it turns out, despite being very good at transporting bonnets for Rover 214s and having a stereo with better reception than the BT tower, it is actually terrible in every other possible way.

here's a few from most of the cars which I've driven:

2005 Mazda3 (Driving instructor's car): Unbelievably over-servoed brakes

2001 VW Polo: Silly clutch

1999 Nissan Micra K11: Useless heater

2001 Volvo V40: Little dribble from driver's wiper blade when raining - a little thing but annoying!

2005 Vauxhall Corsa SXi: As OP - Useless headlamps!

Here's a few from most of the cars which I've driven:

2005 Mazda3 (Driving instructor's car): Unbelievably over-servoed brakes

2001 VW Polo: Silly clutch

1999 Nissan Micra K11: Useless heater

2001 Volvo V40: Little dribble from driver's wiper blade when raining - a little thing but annoying!

2005 Vauxhall Corsa SXi: As OP - Useless headlamps!

Back to XJ40's and any car that has rear passenger vents at the back of the central console between the front seats with slider controls. Rear seat passengers WILL DEFINITELY send the little brittle slider control pinging around the cabin as they catch it with their foot. Happened to mine no less than 3 times.

Also, the window ledge is too high for your elbow, and the dedicated door mounted arm rest is just a smidgin too low. For me anyway.