Should we move forums?

CortinaDave

No, I don't think disk space is the problem. According to CPANEL they are have got 20gig of space and are only using 2 of it. I've tried doing a repair on phpbb_users which did no good, and mytable doesn't exist as a table.

What is confusing me is that the error seems to originate from what looks like a table mysqltmp/#sql_ee6_0.MYI that doesn't exist anywhwere in the database structure. Is is a table that is created on the fly as part of an SQL process as the name"mysqltemp" and the name "sql_ee6_0" would suggest?

Anyone else with any ideas please pitch in. I'm sure between us we can crowdsource fixing this bitch.

Need to offline now till lunchtime, as have a ton of work to do, but answers on a postcard....

You actual disk space is immaterial.

The temp mysql folder has x amount of space allocated to it and if this folder is full it will give an error 126.

You would need to repair using phpmyadmin or root access if you have it.

Is there any way i could contact Rich or Nick as trying to on here seems a waste of time.

Kudos to Dave for lending his expert help. Dudes, keep hitting it with spanners. It's bound to start eventually. Meanwhile, I will send out for some tea for you.

Autoshite is like a cat. Nobody 'owns' it, people just settle here and sometimes move on if they find another home that feeds or pets them better.

It also shits on the carpet now and again, lobs its toys on the floor and bites the hand that feeds it.

EXCELLENT! Looks like we are getting somewhere. I think. Just one thing, siestaboy/EL if you come on at all, would it not be an idea to keep checking your PMs when you do? The biggest problem is getting your attention. I barely do FB but I am on here every day.

It looks like the indexes on that table are corrupt. I'm guessing it's the log file as that probably got the volume in it.

I bet if you select from the tables individually.

SELECT top 10 * FROM phpbb_log

SELECT top 10 * from phpbb_users

it'll work as it's when it tries to use the index in the WHERE of the SQL statement it'll fail.

Probably dropping and re-creating the indexes would fix it but I think Dave's onto something with that temp disc space thing, which you'd want to check before rebuilding the indexes.

I am sure the Admins are aware that phpBB do offer support to all Admins on how to resolve problems with the forums they host?

There are some real hard core geeks who do offer real support (I speak from experience in dealing with them), I am sure if they (the AS admins) were to approach them with the problem with the Admin PAnel a resolution would be forthcoming:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/?sid=9e66 ... e38cecc046

We should all rally round, lending tools, torches, and well meant but completely useless comments such as "it's probably the carbs, mate, they're always dodgy on those".

I cannot offer any IT HintzNtipz, because as far as I am concerned computers and the intertubes work, if they work at all, though evil pixie dust and voodoo, but I hereby volunteer to be the most useless freebie lawyer on the Forum, and also resident Forum Latin consultant. Ergo, when referring to more than one Forum, say FORA, you ill-educated fuggbrains. HTH!

Thanks for the suggestions and help peeps.

Dave I will probably pm you later, as I am well rusty and have not actually worked in IT for some years now, so don't mind admitting it looks like a job for someone who knows what they are doing. If you want to get hold of Nick or Rich, then I think you can contact them through the Facebook autoshite page, or I can PM you their emails.

Fred. Thanks for messaging me back in Feb, but as I said, I don't ever look at Autoshite unless Nick or Rich tell me theres a problem that needs sorting, so that would have been last year sometime. I also don't really use Facebook, and don't ever go on the Autoshite page there, as I have no real interest in cars.

By that measure, Siestaboy, you are the only sane person here. Help us, we are poor, deluded fuckwits, who have not the brains to realise that all cars are shit, and that shit cars are shitter than shit. Help us, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope.

We all appreciate the efforts Siestaboy especially given you have no real longing to paw over pictures of beige cars from the 70's. As mentioned if you need any technical assistance between all the binary abusers who're on here we should be able to help you out.

Great to see Siestaboy and EL on here again, I think the biggest fear amongst the peeps on here was that we'd been abandoned.

Hopefully some of the more tech savvy bods on here can between them manage to get the forum firing on all cylinders again, Dave certainly sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :D

Thanks Trig too, for what I imagine was some incessant badgering on your part.

:lol: Did you hear it! It was Zoe Ball who read it out saying how busy I was, yeah so busy I had time to send a message Radio 2!

:mrgreen: Oh yeah, Zoe Ball, sorry... I'm considering tapping up Vanessa Feltz for my birthday but don't think I really want a wake-up call at 0615 on the one day in the year I absolutely should be able to do what the hell I like, such as sleep in! I've booked Monday and Tuesday off work specially.... Might have a crack at Popmaster though!

And as for moving the forum.... no.

I've done enough of this sort of problem fixing to know that if you hit a problem, in 99% of cases someone else will have had the same problem and the fix will be out there on a web site somewhere. This site....

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2428 ... r-the-tabl

...describes the fault and fix - as Dave has said, it's run out of disk space although to be more accurate it's MySQL's temporary folder that's out of space. If you have access to the MySQL config file you may be able to redefine the temporary space to somewhere that does have enough available space. If it's a hosting environment where you don't have the control you'd have to get the hosting company's support staff to help.

Dave sounds like he knows what he's doing and is capable of fixing it given the right level of access - suggest the mods lend him the keys to the car and let him get on with it. Good on you Dave for offering !

All help and advice is much appreciated. I have recommended to Nick and Rich that they let Dave sort this out, but not heard anything back yet. Also my home internet is down till at least monday next week, part of the joys of living in the middle of nowhere in Spain, so I will not be able to look at this till then.

There’s loads of good, free forum hosting options like zeta boards or pro boards. Maybe it would not harm to get one up and running in the background, if this one goes tits up? If the back up one is never used so what?

I’m happy to role my sleeves up and get stuck in and help set up a new forum.