Cavalier mk2 buying advice needed.

George-Roper

A Local geeza is selling up his 2 projects. One is a mk2 Cavalier drop top with no tax or test and sat 2 or 3 years. What do i look for on a drop top other than a hatch ie rusty bracing areas not on the saloon?. Are they worth good coin as a project or peanuts.

Cheers :)

Underneath, especially behind the back wheels. Inner wings, rear arches, floors and sills too. Engines and boxes are pretty much bullet proof (esp. if the 1.8 SRi motor) but you won't be looking at big money for it when done, probably £1200-ish if nice and with a long MOT, possibly more on a good day.

Basically a good car with robust running gear - however, like any cav of that era it will live in the shadow of the astra GTE.

Somebody on ebay was asking £3.5 K for an 85 SRi that was in tip top condition. I doubt if it will EVER be worth that much, same for a drop top.

like any cav of that era it will live in the shadow of the astra GTE.

How so?

Anyway, back to Cavaliers - rust, rust and rust. Rear spring hangers and mountings have been mentioned already, sills rot, as do the areas behind the front strut turrets. Cabriolets I seem to recall have large sections of what were described as "Witter towbar" as strengtheners behind the dashboard and other places.

Hoods are rare and a pain in the arse. I love mk2 Cavaliers, but wouldn't buy a cabriolet because I really can't see the point of them.

Theyre worthless, you can bust open eBay any day of the week and see a couple of manky rotten old cabriolets being sold by their 20th owner ‘bought it to do up in time for summer but have not had the time’, theyre like a permanent fixture on there.