CAR no longer WANTED - FIAT 126BIS COLLECTED

garycox

Good Work GCox 8)8)

The headlining is missing from my aircooled 126 as well. I took it out because over time the sponge backing rots to dust and the material drops down on your head with the board in situ. Same thing happened in my MK1 Panda - it has no headlining either.

I made my own cheap replacement 126 headlining with board and material from Woolies. It worked initially but 6 months down the line the board sagged and collapsed so I binned it.

Axel Gerstl had a replacement but shipping was a bit prohibitive so I haven't bothered.

In fact if you have any bother sourcing any bits, they seem to have everything you ever need for a 126 http://webshop.fiat500126.com/

My only experience of these is going for a spin in when a lad at school had one, went too fast on a roundabout, lost the rear end spun, hit the kerb and I smashed my head open on the seatbelt mount on the B piller as I was not wearing said seatbelt.

This does look like a good buy though. They were the laughing stock for us kids back in the day but they are so unusual now they are cool as milk.

++ confessional ++

Clubbed together with two mates and bought one out a scrappy (£40, we were 15-16 at the time ) , furnished it with two rear wheels off a Panda, the first battery that'd fit and 'rally drove ' it all day on an old brickworks until the clutch packed in. :oops:

Pushed it the short distance back to the scrapy that afternoon.

The story I've heard (from a reasonably reliable source, but may still be apocryphal) is that most of the Bis' head problems occurred when the factory had forgotten to fit a head gasket when building the engine - quality control wasn't the strongest suit of the FSM factory.

• 1 month later...

Right, this little bastard is now refusing to start (probably because Barrett went in it recently)

We know the carb is all gunked up, so that's the first port of call. It's almost definitely a fuelling problem. It turns over, coughs and splutters, but that's about it.

I found out that the choke 'moving bit' inside he carb wasn't actually attached to the 'bit it's supposed to move', but reconnecting it hasn't hade a lot of difference.

Obv the carb needs a strip and rebuild, but I'd like to eliminate any other possible factors too... my question is: could it be the fuel pump, and if so, is there a way of tesing it's working without just disconnecting the 'out' pipe and chucking petrol everywhere?

Also when I've been tring to start it for a while, the carb fills with smoke. I'm guessing that's not a good sign, but does it indicate anything in particular?

Sorry for the vagueness!

Obv the carb needs a strip and rebuild, but I'd like to eliminate any other possible factors too... my question is: could it be the fuel pump, and if so, is there a way of tesing it's working without just disconnecting the 'out' pipe and chucking petrol everywhere?

Disconnect fuel pump, rig up a gravity-fed pez supply to the carb and try and run it on that? tbh the carb is obviously at fault somewhere down the line, I would get that sorted first because you know that it's causing problems. If it's still playing up with a nice clean carb on then start investigating other things, otherwise you'll end up with a car in 6000 pieces and still be none the wiser. Just like me.

GOOD PLAN. I got a bolt for the carb airbox but it's too long so I need to find a bolt or a load of washers to hold it down (or a shorter bolt)

Don't suppose you have any tools? I think my limited collection is in the Simca :roll:

(Obviously I have no idea how to rig up a gravity fed thing either)

The fuel pump is on top of the engine. Just take the pipe off the end and get a friend to turn the engine over. Fuel should come out

Don't remove it unless you really have to as the distributor needs to come out to take the fuel pump off.

I have a link for a carb rebuild on my computer but its a ******* to sort out and you need someone who knows what they are doing.

Link would be good though! 'Someone who knows what they're doing' will hopefully be looking at it shortly.

I thought the fuel pump was at the front of the engine (as you look at it from the back) at the top... I was probably looking at sonething else :oops: I can't remember where the dizzy is :roll: but it didn't look like anything was in the way of it.

I was probably just being thick, it's been a few days since I saw it!

Gary,

'Smoke' in the carb is prob ignition backfire -which tends to suggest your ignition timing is slightly out. That would also give most of the symptoms you describe.

There will be 2 bolts holding it in ,and a seperate pinchbolt holding it still (from rotating). Loosen that slightly (1/2 turn) -noting its position, and try moving it a few degrees one way. The engine note will change -hopefully sounding more 'eager/willing. If its worse, try it a few degrees the other way.

I'm willing to bet (a small shandy) that is more likely to be the issue than an overnight total carb failure.

Give it a go -its a no cost option & what have you got to loose?