Renamed... Will's boring car blog

willswitchengage

Rain coming in will be either blocked sunroof drain tubes (very common - blow out with compressed air ideally) or knackered door seals. These can be a bugger to trace, but any nicks in the seal are a clue that water might be getting in. Is very possible for rear door seals to leak into the front footwell and vice versa. Glovebox lid can be repaired in a very classy manner. Or like this.

That's amazing!

Anyway, two leaks have been identified... both passenger side (phew!). One from the top corner of the windscreen (the worst), haven't a clue where water's coming in. The sunroof one isn't so bad - from one very specific place on the nearside edge, mainly makes the rooflining a bit moist but may produce a solitary drip in extreme inclement weather.

I somehow missed this thread entirely. I suspect you're underselling it with the title!

Me too, thats a very nice looking TXD.

The 1900 NA is a good engine once you get used to it (its not quite as quick off the mark as say the petrol donkey in the Justy but more than capable of holding a decent speed at at least 50mpg).

8050946208_d82d6e6fee_n.jpg

This was my TXD - nice car, but did have some rust issues (door shuts, inner wings) which though repaired did end up finishing it off with its next owner :(

If the screen is leaking round the top of the A pillar it could well be some rust hidden by the sealing strip, they are known to go here.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a funny picture for you all to enjoy (sort of breaking the faux-pas of posting images of oneself on an internet, exceptions being chatroulette or grindr), me somewhere on the M74 last week... back box in hand.

555527_237572163048099_1176118347_n.jpg

Not a good start to the holiday! Managed to ultimately get it fixed in Fort William after sounding like a 17 year old for a few days. Worryingly, though, "excessive exhaust corrosion" wasn't mentioned as an advisory on the old MOT... :o

Anyway, whilst you lot south of the border were all shivering under overcast skies, we were treated to delightful (if not still cold) weather:

8616206791_8ded06238f_c.jpg

P1040440 by willswitchengage, on Flickr

8616206097_574a61684b_c.jpg

P1040447 by willswitchengage, on Flickr

8617313978_b559ddfbf5_c.jpg

P1040517 by willswitchengage, on Flickr

Other than that, 2000 miles of trouble free roadtrip! Alternator belt getting dangerously squeaky but it shouldn't take too much swearing to sort that one out. Even managed a fairly respectable 45mpg over the trip, doing 70ish on the big road. Still, the car really is a shed though. The bodywork is awful, interior okay but the boot looks like it's been spent most of its life as the local sheep-rustling receptacle. Drives fine, mind you.