Peugeot 205 STDT

triumph1300

A have just aquired one from a friend to break it for him as the headgasket has gone. But before I do, do any of you guys know much about these. I'm really struggling to find much info on these, seems they are fairly uncommon cars.

The reason it may be getting broken is because he is a student and can't afford the repairs for it and was going to scrap it, so I suggested at least breaking it to help a few other cars instead of bean cans.

The paintwork isn't the best, has laqueer and is fairly flat, has a dent on front wing, but it has mot until october.

It has the 1.9 gti wheels too which are sought after, but I'm just not sure its worth the money to get it nice enough to sell.

IIRC they run on veg since most early stuff has bosch pumps (I might be wrong), but either way they do mega MPG and a head gasket can't be that bad of a job to do, really. It'll be worth approx. nothing in parts other than a oner for the wheels plus a bit if the tyres are any good. Perhaps invest a weekend and £40 into a gasket set and a cambelt and see how you go?

As a working car it's not going to make you a rich man, but it'd make someone a flipping ace commuter.

IIRC they run on veg since most early stuff has bosch pumps (I might be wrong), but either way they do mega MPG and a head gasket can't be that bad of a job to do, really. It'll be worth approx. nothing in parts other than a oner for the wheels plus a bit if the tyres are any good. Perhaps invest a weekend and £40 into a gasket set and a cambelt and see how you go?

As a working car it's not going to make you a rich man, but it'd make someone a flipping ace commuter.

All the 205s tds ive seen have been lucas pumps, i still have one in the garage spare along with all other ancileries for said engine :wink:

im not sure i would go into such a job without a head skim and mabe even a pressure test, been bitten by that one before and to have to do the job a second time is not a nice feeling :shock:

All the 205s tds ive seen have been lucas pumps, i still have one in the garage spare along with all other ancileries for said engine :wink:

im not sure i would go into such a job without a head skim and mabe even a pressure test, been bitten by that one before and to have to do the job a second time is not a nice feeling :shock:

That was my thoughts exactly, and neither of us have spare cash to invest in it really. I am really struggling to want to break it though...

Weigh in/flogging the wheels and battery: you'd do well to see the right side of £200. Do the headgasket, have the head skimmed etc, probably about £80 tops in parts. It'sa no brainer to me, get it fixed!

I realise what a useless comment it is, but I'd be all over that like a tramp on chips if I had anywhere to put it/any use for it whatsoever. These look really smart, particularly the later ones, probably a good wash would tidy it up from 10 feet. Sod the laquer peel, if it can be fixed for around £100, that's some seriously cheap fun motoring to be had, veg oil or not.

Today I've got an April '94 registered Rover on a Footman-James cla$$ic policy - it was prolly made in '93, that must be what they go on. Lancaster wouldn't touch it - strictly 20 years from the date of registration.

My kid brother Will has had loads of these 205 blown dizzlers, and is well read on the subject. He still managed to kill them all, one way or another. They're PROPER BO when they're sorted though, as has been said.

We've got him into Ladas now, but he still has a shedfull of bits if you need owt.

100% Lucas pump.

I'd be tempted to drop the 1.8 and fit a later intercooled 1.9TD, it's a plug and play job, pretty much.

Or a 1.7 TD, remember to swap the bonnet over if you use the one with the top mounted intercooler otherwise its just sits against the bonnet and gets no air.

Surely makes most financial sesnse to repair and punt on? Even listing it on e bay as is will surely be less phaff than breaking and should make the same if not more money.

It always suprises me how immune to rust these are. Put a few far newer mercs I#ve had to shame! Theyre a great combination of looks, tinworn resistance and simplicity.

I had been assuming that my little blue NA diesel 205 was resisting the rot until I tried to tow start a Megane. It tore the rear towing eye off the rotton rear chassis rail and annoyingly it took half the bumper with it :|

Theres plenty of love for these TD 205's so it would be a crying shame to scrap it, best of luck.