Motorcycling - Current Chinese Shite v. Older Japanese Shite

gtd2000

19 minutes ago, gtd2000 said:

If you need switches, these might be an option.

US $10.78  50%OFF | 1pair JH70 JH48 Handlebar Switch Assembly Motorcycle left and right handle switch modification handle Spare Parts
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Tzzqq

Cheers, they seems almost to good to be true with free shipping. Looking close up at the pictures they're possibly not the greatest quality, but they've only got to work. Nice one for the heads up.

57 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Ahh, didn't know you had one, did it make much difference? For 'originality' they must look better than a semi-automatic Lifan (or similar) engine, but is there enough 'go' to be worth changing from the original 49cc top end?

Yes, fitted to a Nanfang 50 made a large difference overall.

Not any faster on top speed (gearing most likely) but actually made it a much more usable machine.

This is a complete 70cc kit with top end and barrel etc, you'll see the same thing being sold for multiple times this price elsewhere.

The 50cc top end was OK once it got going but if you tried to pull away on a hill it was hellish. The 70 kit totally transformed that aspect of the bike.

Many parts from the Jialing JH70 series of bikes will be pretty much the same thing but you might need to verify some items.

Re the Hyosung - I had the GT250 and build quality was mixed.

Chain went south after 4000 miles - sprockets same - replaced with better quality ones.

Frame rusting around the welds. 

Head gasket blowing oil at 7000 miles.

Exhaust downpipe rusts for a laugh.

That said - never ever ever failed to start and run and ride. Just looked scabby.

• 6 months later...

I started stripping it down yesterday and I have to say that despite absolutely horrific levels of rust, it's actually surprisingly sound!

I've not had any trouble with a single fastener yet, everything has simply undone as Honda intended, unbelievable really!

What do you think happened with that rear spindle nut?

IMG_20200814_145913.jpg

Just now, Cavcraft said:

Pulled straight through the frame?

It actually released.....

No problem at all, slight tap with a light hammer and the spindle moved. Did not expect that whatsoever.

The rust looks terrible but it's actually all ok beneath the bloom. 

This is how far I progressed yesterday.

IMG_20200815_164946.jpg

Wow, fair play was expecting that to have just basically snapped the swinging arm off! 

They were funny little bikes these, not especially inspiring but a typical 4 stroke Honda where they just sort of got on with things quietly,  What are your plans for it, be ace to see it back in use again?

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 6:09 PM, Cavcraft said:

Wow, fair play was expecting that to have just basically snapped the swinging arm off! 

They were funny little bikes these, not especially inspiring but a typical 4 stroke Honda where they just sort of got on with things quietly,  What are your plans for it, be ace to see it back in use again?

Sorry, didn't notice any replies to this thread until now.

Right now I'm waiting on the V5 coming back - it's been ongoing since August.

I've phoned each month, to see where things are and they keep assuring me it's going through the system!

I'm planning to get it back up and running again but currently on the look out for a cheap cg125 copy to use for a variety of spares.

I used to see those Chinese CG copies everywhere but appear to have become something of a hen's teeth scenario at the moment?

Well, I got a letter in the post today, asking me to fill out a V62 once more....I did that originally back in August last year.

Need to send more pictures of the bike showing the number plate and one of the frame number. (they've already had that on several occasions)

No wonder it's taken this long - they seem to need everything submitted on four separate occasions...

Hopefully, this is the final straight!

They're a funny little thing those CB100Ns.  I almost bought one back in my student days, but I ended up splurging a bit more for a CB125T, with a bit more poke but an equally shit cable front disc brake.

Didn't the 100N have a 3-valve head or something?  I'm sure there was something unusual about the engine.

23 hours ago, wuvvum said:

They're a funny little thing those CB100Ns.  I almost bought one back in my student days, but I ended up splurging a bit more for a CB125T, with a bit more poke but an equally shit cable front disc brake.

Didn't the 100N have a 3-valve head or something?  I'm sure there was something unusual about the engine.

Yeah, one of my pals had one around '83/84 and it wasn't an inspirational bike - two strokes were the sought after bikes of the time for learners. My old GP100 would probably blow this thing into the weeds. Mind you, that wouldn't be difficult right now as the engine appears to be somewhat seized...

The 16hp CB125T was quite a fast little bike. There were a couple of those in our group. I really went off Honda at that time as the bloody things were always blowing up or in a pile of bits with knackered engines.

I'm not sure about the 3 valve head - I'm just assuming that it's an old school inlet and outlet valve?

My mistake, it was the 250N which had the 3-valve head.

CB125T went well for a 4-stroke, but like most small '70s Honda twins it was easy to over-rev, which is probably why a lot of them got blown up.  I made that mistake the first time I took it out on the A11 to see what it would do - looked down and the speedo said 70, the rev counter said Made in Japan.  I fitted a smaller rear sprocket to raise the gearing a bit after that.  I did have the engine rebuilt at one point - it never broke down but it was using more oil than petrol and leaving blue clouds behind it wherever it went.

I went all over on that bike - including Norwich to Bristol and back at Christmas 1997.  In May 1998 I got knocked off a different bike by a builder's van which turned across my path - smashed my leg up, spent three weeks in hospital and then a month convalescing at a family friend's in Devon.  As soon as I was able to get around on only one crutch, I got on the bus from Exeter to Norwich (via London), bought a new helmet, then went to where the bike was parked, bungeed my crutch to the side, kicked it over with my good leg and rode it down to Oxford.  There was never any doubt in my mind that it'd start, even after being stood idle for months.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:52 AM, strangeangel said:

The other thing to remember about clones is that they helpfully* upgrade* parts without actually telling anyone.

Not just clones-Aprilia did this on their bikes. They changed the stator on one of their bikes, but forgot to record from which engine number the change occurred.

And my Aprilia MkI RS250 had the MkII frame but everything else, engine, bodywork, wheels, brakes, forks, exhausts, clocks, the lot, was MkI. Never found out why. 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:43 PM, wuvvum said:

The Hyosung I had seemed pretty well screwed together.

It was. My mate had it, and "bobbed" it, cutting the frame and subframe about and fitted a Bandit 600 swing arm and rear wheel. Looked good from a few feet away. Scrapped it when he left it in the garden uncovered through a winter and he could not be arsed to get it running again.

21 hours ago, wuvvum said:

My mistake, it was the 250N which had the 3-valve head.

CB125T went well for a 4-stroke, but like most small '70s Honda twins it was easy to over-rev, which is probably why a lot of them got blown up.  I made that mistake the first time I took it out on the A11 to see what it would do - looked down and the speedo said 70, the rev counter said Made in Japan.  I fitted a smaller rear sprocket to raise the gearing a bit after that.  I did have the engine rebuilt at one point - it never broke down but it was using more oil than petrol and leaving blue clouds behind it wherever it went.

I went all over on that bike - including Norwich to Bristol and back at Christmas 1997.  In May 1998 I got knocked off a different bike by a builder's van which turned across my path - smashed my leg up, spent three weeks in hospital and then a month convalescing at a family friend's in Devon.  As soon as I was able to get around on only one crutch, I got on the bus from Exeter to Norwich (via London), bought a new helmet, then went to where the bike was parked, bungeed my crutch to the side, kicked it over with my good leg and rode it down to Oxford.  There was never any doubt in my mind that it'd start, even after being stood idle for months.

Was the CBT the last of the 'over 12BHP' bikes you could get, before the change in the law? They were popular for having 18(?) horses, iirc, but they did seem a bit dull, to be honest.  Seem to recall the 100N was the same, though that had a weird attractiveness to it.

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Was the CBT the last of the 'over 12BHP' bikes you could get, before the change in the law? They were popular for having 18(?) horses, iirc, but they did seem a bit dull, to be honest.  

Yep - mine was an '81, I think it was 16bhp, but the following year they facelifted them - became the CB125TDC, with rectangular headlight and 12v electrics but only 12bhp.  It wasn't massively quicker than the RS100 I had before, due to its hefty weight, but the power delivery was more consistent.  Sounded nice at full chat too.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Not just clones-Aprilia did this on their bikes. They changed the stator on one of their bikes, but forgot to record from which engine number the change occurred.

And my Aprilia MkI RS250 had the MkII frame but everything else, engine, bodywork, wheels, brakes, forks, exhausts, clocks, the lot, was MkI. Never found out why. 

Moto Morini's are also notorious for mixed parts, with newer models using up what was left over from the previous model run before being fitted with the updated component. Can you remember the Cagiva badged Hardly Dangerous Aermachhi's? I saw a brand new one for sale (a SST250 I think (could have been the 350) with pink/purple paint) which had Hardly Dangerous on the speedo dial and Cagiva on the rev counter. They were supposed to be quite good.

image.png.1cd90701ea277ff9c36b36847d062786.png

Latest instalment, on my August V62 application is that I received a letter on Tuesday....

I've to fill in a V62 and attach a photo of the bike showing the registration plate and the frame number.

That's exactly what was sent with the V62 application back in August...

• 1 month later...

Still no sign of that V62 yet!

Perhaps they are waiting until April when it becomes "Historic"...?

In other news, I picked up a "modified" SYM Wolf Classic, that has had the Cafe Racer treatment the other weekend.

It's going to be used as the mechanical donor for my CB100N rebuild. Thinking of a mild scrambler look for it at the moment complete with new wheel rims and re-spoking the original hubs.

Time will tell, if I've bitten off more than I can chew! 😆

I'm progressing with the CB100N "scrambler project" now that I've got my V5 in place!

First task was to build a front wheel to take a chunky tyre. 

As this is the first time I've ever built a motorcycle wheel, I thought I'd make it as difficult as I possibly could, by using a Sym Wolf Classic hub/brake, 160mm Honda Cub twisted iridescent spokes and an unverified 2.50x17" alloy rim which I'm guessing came from something along the lines of a Sinnis Apache?

Here's the current status of the front wheel and Kings Tire that I fitted on Wednesday.

IMG_20210402_163801.jpg

IMG_20210402_163727.jpg

14 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

If it’s like a Kings Mx tyre you can pass it down to future generations. No grip whatsoever but last forever 

It'll only ever be used in dry conditions so that's probably not too much of a problem. ;)