Motorcycling - Current Chinese Shite v. Older Japanese Shite

gtd2000

I think I'll see what the 50cc performs like first. Supposedly, they do 40+mph as standard as they were (according to internet info) not restricted in the first place?

I'd certainly like to look into what size of cylinder can be used on the base engine as it's a four speed unit.

Here's the bike upon collection, just removed the tank (full of fuel) and the saddle and into the back of the Cee'd:

HE5Yx5J.jpg

After unloading, cleaning and re-assembly:

4t0PP34.jpg

Frame welding is to Stevie Wonder standards by the back wheel....

UZzSjAg.jpg

QXJFV6O.jpg

okvWg23.jpg

1NzOxm8.jpg

6P8t6LW.jpg

The way I see it, is that as long as the frame is OK then there's lot's of options to choose from.

It'll only ever really be used by myself and the GF going for a bimble around the back roads on sunny days, she'll take the Nanfang and I'll be on the Super Cub.

The Nanfang is so dinky, it's honestly like a BMX bike!  :mrgreen:

Well that's me just back in from the shed, where I stripped the steering heading bearings down and greased them up.

I'm not joking, when I say they look absolutely identical to a set from a bicycle!

Loads of grease slapped in (original state was very minimal) so should be good to go!

On the plus side, replacements should be very cheap indeed!

I really like those SS50 alikes, what's the going rate for one? I quite fancy a minimal set of wheels, I don't have the strength to ride a 'big' bike anymore, but something like that would be ideal for having the odd bimble. Just have to fit saddlebags for the dogs! :)

I really like those SS50 alikes, what's the going rate for one? I quite fancy a minimal set of wheels, I don't have the strength to ride a 'big' bike anymore, but something like that would be ideal for having the odd bimble. Just have to fit saddlebags for the dogs! :)

Prices are all over the place.

You can get a brand new one from £900+ (OTR @CBRUs) up to £1500. eBay will show some of them. There's a new Euro 4 version coming out this month.

Used examples tend to be advertised anywhere from £550 to £1500.

My target price was £500 and the bike was advertised for £700. I was lucky that this one was basically still brand new at 6 miles.

Just keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree and search for either Nanfang or SS50.

I called Cheap Bikes R Us in Milton Keynes and asked how many they sold. There's only just over 100 of them in the wild, so fairly rare bikes.

There's a young lad on one of the Facebook groups, in Kent, that's got a pretty messed about one that was looking for £400, I think?

• 1 month later...

The price is right?

Seems like it's negotiable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-SS50-Replica-Nanfang-Nf50/113697351216?hash=item1a78e3e630:g:XvYAAOSwbzxcmL64

My dad's got one of these...

He bought it new, had it delivered and hasn't ridden it at all.

He offered me the use of it. I got all excited, then I got some insurance quotes. Best I managed was about £700 I think... I have had a full bike license for quite a few years, no accidents, etc.

Has anyone managed to insure one for a sensible amount?

CheapBikesRUs had a listing of a company to call for insurance. Just give them a ring, don't see their advert on eBay that had it listed now...Tel 01908 319889

Perhaps they've stopped selling due to the change to fuel injection etc.?

Edit:

Here you go...

"Insurance available through Rampdale on 0844 815 6125 dealer reference 378959 or Bikesure on 0800 089 8070 dealer reference G3957"

CheapBikesRUs had a listing of a company to call for insurance. Just give them a ring, don't see their advert on eBay that had it listed now...Tel 01908 319889

Perhaps they've stopped selling due to the change to fuel injection etc.?

Edit:

Here you go...

Yep, was the recommended Bikesure. Other firms wouldn't touch it... Maybe worth trying Rampdale 

I'm sure I was getting quotes that were double the price of my super cub. The cub usually insures for around £70 (TPF&T)

Quotes are probably more like triple what I'm used to paying on 250 MZs and my old Vespa T5. Not worth it really... Might be partly because London?

Maybe I'll try a generic quote on confused...then Rampdale... I think I tried Carole Nash and Bennetts (who basically said no) and Bikesure gave the £700odd quote, and I gave up.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks equally awful and cool at the same time.

The best thing about those is that they are one of the few Chinese horrors that are viable alloy wheel donors to the Honda Cub (brake plate on the other side and a few mill machined off the hub boss and you're good to go).

I have a set on mine... anything Jialing with moving parts should be given a seriously wide berth though.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm pleased to report that the Nanfang is definitely not restricted by any stretch of the imagination.

It will pull an indicated 45MPH on the flat and has shown 55MPH down a slight gradient without much effort.

The only complaints were slight bogging at lower revs and some minor carburation issues. I tried fiddling about with raising and lowering the needle and adjusting the fuel/air mixture.

Changing the tappet clearances made the biggest difference but the bogging remained.

Ended up getting another carb for £8.99 which didn't really make any difference.

While shopping for a spare carb, came across a CRF 70cc piston, barrel and head kit with all the required gaskets for £35.99.

Just fitted that today and I'm pleased to note that there's a roughly 10MPH improvement on the flat and much better torque going up hills.

The 70cc kit appears to have cured the bogging as well....

Next stage will be to source a 110/125 engine in the future but for now, it's perfectly adequate.

32 minutes ago, marm said:

Nice man. Did you get it insured?

It's on the GF's policy but I have a rider multi bike policy as well, which allows me to ride it.

The PDI from CBRuS must be non-existent....

Found loose engine mount bolts today, the front end wasn't tightened up properly either.

It's a smooth enough little thing, once it's on the boil.

• 4 weeks later...

The standard engine was fine once it got up to speed but was really lacking low down power.

Kept bogging if you snapped the throttle back at anything more than gradual rotation.

Purchased a spare carb from China and it really made not difference at all. Tried adjusting the fuel/air mixture, all to no avail.

Bought 70cc kit from China and it now runs perfectly...?

No bogging down, pulls away cleanly etc.