Motorcycling - Current Chinese Shite v. Older Japanese Shite

gtd2000

I did a pretty similar run on Sunday as it was scortio although mine ended at 200 odd miles,

My father in law uses the c machine more than his modern 600 as he loves it, he won't sell me it though.

They are fun little machines - I like the simplicity of it really.

Of course the 120+MPG helps too! :D

I keep eyeing these up:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keeway-Target-125cc-scooter-commuter-the-best-value-cub-style-scooter-/151895938716?hash=item235db4169c:g:mIsAAOSwq7JT2O67

$_57.JPG

I was all set to luzz a grand at one prior to buying the Grom but I got pissed off at two dealers that I phoned advertising them for £999 new saying they hadnt any in at that price and telling me that they were another £199 - so I told them to FRO out of principle.

Still keep looking for a second hand one to chuck in a corner.

It's ace to know a fairly sort of ridiculed (cheap Chinese copy) bike isn't actually all that bad.

You'd be amazed at the reaction to the bike - especially when passing kids - they all love it.

Adults swoon over it with nostalgic memories! lol

Mental really!!!

Any chance you can ride one of these back for me?

http://www.mondialmotor.com.tr/model/cub/100-mfm/siyah

img_8575kopya_6b6a4.png

£560 for a 100cc cub - I'll have one of them for knocking about in the pissing rain on instead of the Grom.

Unfortunately I had to come back from Turkey, as my dear old mum was very ill (with cancer) and didn't make it :(

The mad thing is that the cub clones only cost around £200 factory direct from China...

Well I was out on the Super Cub the other day - here's a short video clip taken on my equally cheap shite SJ7000 Action Camera which cost me US$46 from Gearbest.com

Youtube has significantly reduced the video quality by the way - it really does take nice clear video

It's only done about 1000 miles yet... just saying.

That's very true but they appear to be generally reliable from most of the feedback from owners at the c90club website.

I've gone one step further and bought another Chinese Shiter to add to the collection...

Ladies and Gentlemen! I present to you the Lexmoto ZSB125 (AKA the Senke SK125-8 )

IMG_20160525_101336_zps5n7siowi.jpg

1464168748539_zps90wvjhu3.jpg

It's just over a year old, had 42 miles on it and was owned by a French lass up in Stirling (a Doctor too) but she had an accident on the back of her husbands bike and is terrified to be out on a bike now!

It's been sitting in her shed for the past year until she decided to put it up for sale on Facebook, that's where I came to find out about it.

It's actually very decently put togther overall.

I'm going to change the oil and put a new NGK plug and cap on it but otherwise it's "good to go!"

Rode it back 70 miles from Stirling (on the M9) and it was quite amusing going up hill against the wind...."whip the bastard" :D

I keep eyeing these up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keeway-Target-125cc-scooter-commuter-the-best-value-cub-style-scooter-/151895938716?hash=item235db4169c:g:mIsAAOSwq7JT2O67

$_57.JPG

I was all set to luzz a grand at one prior to buying the Grom but I got pissed off at two dealers that I phoned advertising them for £999 new saying they hadnt any in at that price and telling me that they were another £199 - so I told them to FRO out of principle.

What about getting a hot rod scooter ;)

http://www.wkbikes.com/300cc_scooters_gtr300.html

I keep eyeing these up:

$_57.JPG

Live the dream! :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-cub-copy-110cc-in-black-or-red-895-99-uk-delivery-ltd-stock-/112004035427?

$_12.JPG

Or...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kayak-110cc-honda-cub-copy-in-baby-blue-brand-new-at-only-895-and-99-uk-del-/112003319045?hash=item1a13eb0505:g:RPkAAOSw9a5XP3gF

$_12.JPG

Exaust needs a major re-think if taking a pillion...

Custom exhausts can be fitted at a extra cost off £90 so grab a bargain at only £895 + £55 on the road Tel 01709 431010

Well for now I have the Grom ( 125cc of POWAH! ) which will remain fairly standard, but I would like to at some point lob a 180 or 200cc kit on it mainly to improve usability if I decide to ride up to the Wray bike meet (which involves 40 miles of M6).

In addition I will be taking delivery ((fingers crossed)) of the 50cc Atala with the ENORMOUS rear sprocket currently in the custodianship of Castros-Brother. Which fills the "thrown in a corner and used for local trips or days when its nailing it down with rain and I cant be arsed moving the car to unchain the grom from the shed" days and generally pissing about on - sure at 50cc its a bit underpowered and 90cc would be nicer but I doubt that I can lob anything else on it engine wise too easily, though I might look into it as an option given the cheapness of some of the higher capacity Chinese engines

Dunno - never done a whole engine & box swap before.

I've seen videos of people putting rather large capacity engines into the cube @ roughly 180-200cc.

The sweet spot for the Super Cub is around 50mph, due to the leading link suspension, which simply doesn't feel too confidence inspiring beyond 55mph on less than perfect surfaces!!

I only bought my Cub for tootling around the local back roads, so 110cc and about 5.5hp is "adequate".

110cc is the new 50cc and all that! :mrgreen:

The Lexmoto actually handles very well for a cheap Chinese shiter!

How does the Honda Grom handle, as it looks like a bit of a short arse?

What sort of top speed can you ring out of it?

I've only seen one on the roads so far.....

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the shite quality video - this is courtesy of my even more shite Chinese "Doogee X6 Pro" smartphone - the camera is horrific!!!!

If by some strange reason you've been wowed by the video quality, here's a link to the spec but you'll get one quicker and cheaper via eBay UK sources.... :shock:

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_262390.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-YO7BRDwi6Stp7T296ABEiQAD6iWMZcbG_3E2sZ1V3z2nAjWtU1JWrljxYoYkOcTA-EnmAQaAk-v8P8HAQ

• 1 year later...

One change for Chinese bikes since this thread was started is Euro IV.

Fuel injection and abs seems to have narrowed the gap down between Chinese and Japanese price wise.

There are a few pre reg / ignoring the rules (how that works for one's you need to register yourself I don't know?) for under a grand still but not as many.

I do wonder if the new laws restricting 17 and 18 year old to 125 is having a slight boost on the top end of the market. There are lots of deliveroo riders around New Street and a fair few have cbr125 / yzr125. I guess if you're stuck with it for two years there a bit more appeal in spending more on something that looks a bit nicer.

Obviously the main effect will be to put people off riding motorbikes but that's the aim I guess.

To be honest, I started off on motorcycles due to being the cheapest method of motorised transport at the time.

If I was a young lad today, I suspect I'd just buy a car. When you see 10 year old 125's going for twice the price of a 10 year old run about, in decent condition, it doesn't really make financial sense.

Hardly any of my mates kids have interest in two wheels these days, unlike back in our day, when it appeared the vast majority couldn't wait to get on the road.

Saw one of these in the local stealership:

http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/adventurer/mash-adventurer-400cc-efi

mashadv11.jpg

It has a Honda derived power-plant [from the 80s] and is about £4.5k

They've also got a lovely looking cafe racer.

Also Benelli are now chinese owned and are selling these:

TRK_502_WHITE.jpg

These start at about £5.5k.

The problem for me, is that the market has seen several attempts by non mainstream makers come and go. Goodness help you when you want spares 10 years down the line.

The japs are punting stuff out for not massive amounts more about £5.5k will get you pre-reg 650s and a little more will get 0% Z650s, Tracer 700s etc.

I think both of the above points consign Chinese bikes to a very small market share, regardless of improving product and quality.

What about an India design/made model?

royal-enfield-himalayan-vs-mahindra-mojo

The modern 125 buyer is a lucky person. There's some cracking looking bikes about now, reckon I'd be well up for a CBR125 in Repsol colours if I was after a small first bike. Won't be too long before the Chinese stuff is like the Jap stuff of the seventies: laughed at at first, but the quality just got better and better.

Yep. If the price of Chinese bikes isn't too much less than Jap bikes they'll struggle to get established on the market.

As said above, who's going to take a chance on a new brand with uncertain reliability & spares back-up if there isn't a decent price incentive to do so?

Saw one of these in the local stealership:

http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/adventurer/mash-adventurer-400cc-efi

mashadv11.jpg

It has a Honda derived power-plant [from the 80s] and is about £4.5k

They've also got a lovely looking cafe racer.

Also Benelli are now chinese owned and are selling these:

TRK_502_WHITE.jpg

These start at about £5.5k.

The problem for me, is that the market has seen several attempts by non mainstream makers come and go. Goodness help you when you want spares 10 years down the line.

The japs are punting stuff out for not massive amounts more about £5.5k will get you pre-reg 650s and a little more will get 0% Z650s, Tracer 700s etc.

I think both of the above points consign Chinese bikes to a very small market share, regardless of improving product and quality.

What about an India design/made model?

royal-enfield-himalayan-vs-mahindra-mojo

A mate of a mate runs a bike repairs shop in brum, parts are a nightmare for a lot of the Chinese models. Even simple bits can be impossible to get hold of and can scrap otherwise perfect bikes. It's a shame as some are quite decent. I wonder if there is a market for making basic spares but I guess the volume would be so low as to make it not worth the effort.

It would be a nightmare trying to stock spares, I think at least 50% would be returned as incorrect as people haven't got a clue what they have. The only way to do it would be get a parts list for each make/ model and insist on engine/ frame numbers before supplying.

It used to happen all the time with PW50/80 spares, you would supply it only to have someone coming back as it didn't fit their exact copy of a PW complete with 4 stroke engine...,

Many dont make their first MOT, especially the ones you can buy in a crate and asemble yourself. Back when I was on L plates I was tempted by some sort of CG125 clone you could have shipped to your door for something daft like £500.

I have heard better things about Lifan.

The biggest problem with most of the western world as a market is bikes are 90% of sales are for leisure use therefore there isnt much room for a budget unknown brand to try and penetrate beyond learner legal stuff.

If you had a few quid to spend on a new car for the weekend you wont be buying a Kia.

CF moto seem to be trying to make a reasonable stab at the middle of the market, they've a 650 and run one at the TT...

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk