New Non-shite car

STUNO

At last , after a week of impatient waiting, I took delivery of a replacement for the well-used and well-liked SD1 that has been my daily for some years.

The journey to collect was made easier by me selling the Rover in the same town as I bought this delight, It was only 1 hour each way and absolutely nothing unusual happened, unless you are one who gets excited by a "you will run out of fuel sometime in the future " light coming on 5 miles from home.

The requirement was to purchase a car for an old retired giffer, very economical and not fast enough to get me into trouble, Maybe a Daihatsu Mira!

The outcome was probably inevitable for me ,I bought what I wanted, helped to a great extent by the prompting of cav_estate of this parish. The car was amazingly cheap, and even the insurance was more than reasonable which was not expected, so it is insured for 50% more than paid for it.

What is it ?? Photos required ! +++++

1990 vintage

8407945898_cd95e9eb8a.jpg

That will be just the car for slow and economical

8406854877_f46671a37c.jpg

Well it must be good, it's shiny

8407957504_b0652a2a84.jpg

Disconnected but it looks the part

8406857517_a35252beed.jpg

8406859725_7305ff5a6e.jpg

The seats are Audi A6 fitted to upgrade the interior !

yes, that is a tear in the rear squab!

8407960698_b4fd38b236.jpg

Nice! and a proper gear lever with pedals.

It is not perfect. there are a few little dents and some stonechipping on the front, but there is no rust anywhere and it is very quiet on the road, not even a little squeak. the drivers window won't work, and the aircon is not very cold but does work. Absolutely nothing to stop me buying it as it should not be a money-pit. Km's are 175000 and it was owned by an Audi fanatic who has repaired and serviced everything but the window.

Now.. somebody tell me what I have done wrong !

OH YES :mrgreen: , Arnt these some kind of UR but with a normal body , i seem to remember loads of these getting chopped up to repair UR Quattros back in the day.

To start the day off here by reading about "the chop" could be quite distressing, but nothing can do that today, I have all day to read about and investigate this car and find out what it is like to drive. The problem hereabouts is that the roads in this valley are flat and straight so only the turbo bit will be tested today. My first impression of it was that the speed limit (100kph) seemed too slow :(

Does anyone here know the mechanics of these ? After the drive from picking up the car cav_estate and I were fiddling with the drivers door card to try to find out what was amiss with the window when I heard what sounded like the hiss of steam under the bonnet. It turned out to be a small fan blowing air through ducting over the top of the motor..why ?

The 4wd system is the usual Audi Torsen system so I assume diff's etc are swappable with "ordinary" Quattro's.

Time to get going and thanks for the encouraging start.

Edit: I am rather like an older, tubbier version of Higgins, noting like his sidekick.

Shitting hell, that's well sorted!

My mate's brother had a couple of 200 turbos back in the day and swore by them. I'd imagine a manual is even rarer too, hats off for a cracking car.

Hey STUNO, you're not the only one with an executive wooden dash inserts and fancy car phone (even if I did remove the phone a couple of years ago):

20101026-IMG_2075.jpg

Cheers for letting me drive it home yesterday; that 5 cylinder turbo warble is very addictive! You going to reveal how much (or little) you paid for it, or is that a closely guarded secret?

Hey STUNO, you're not the only one with an executive wooden dash inserts . You going to reveal how much (or little) you paid for it, or is that a closely guarded secret?

Absolutely not ! If I ever mentioned one thousand and fourtysix pounds and eighty pence on this forum they would use words like mad barstard and a thousand too dear so i won't.

AAAH... our version of a bank holiday on Monday and the weekend weather is hot and sunny. Audi is properly clean and ready for some serious use. Maybe a trip to the coast, or anywhere to just get behind the wheel and tailgate all the BMW's that get in the way!

• 3 weeks later...

And now for some serious use, this beauty is about to take me on a long journey, a trip to the far south of this country. The first leg is 530 km to get to the ferry to South Island, then it is 950km direct to the far end of that. But it is a zigzag trip covering West and East coasts and many bits in between will cover many more km's. The real question is ..will this be cavorting about or cavetting about ? AA card , checked and ready ! just hope I remember the camera :oops:

WHYWHY WHY WHY does something go wrong at the last moment :evil: The drivers window regulator died at the last moment meaning that a replacement was needed NOW. It is on the way but will arrive too late to fit as ferries etc are booked at the cheapest "cancel and lose your money" rate. So a 2003 Suzuki Swift will have to do ! It will get there but not in a pleasurable style.

OH YES :mrgreen: , Arnt these some kind of UR but with a normal body , i seem to remember loads of these getting chopped up to repair UR Quattros back in the day.

I'm actually doing some work for Audi at the moment relating to the old Ur-quattro, so can say with some confidence that "...the Ur-quattro used the floor pan of the Audi 80 or quattro Coupé shortened by 320 mm..."