Clutching at (cheap) straws....£200 shite req'd

outlaw118

The key is to go for something deeply unfashionable or slightly thirsty. Nissan Primeras, Volvo's, Saabs, Mondeo's all seem to be astounding value.

There was a minty 2 litre Primera for sale near me with 12,000 gen-u-win miles on it for £875 quid and it took them weeks to shift it. That thing will probably last another 10 years without too much bother.

That's exactly how I do it. I've had 3 old volvos over the years, all good cars that did the job, all bought sub-400 quid. Nissan almeras look like good value too, they don't have the appeal of say a fiesta, corsa,polo so are out there cheap.

With my £500 Audi Coupe as an example I am happy that I will never need to get another 'modern' car again as there is so many reliable well engineered cars that are not much different in handling and refinement to anything I could get new for £10-15k. Plus I can now stick on a classic policy for naff all. TBH, as long as you look out for the obvious big problems before you buy it an old sub £500 car should plod on for sodding ages with no problems and little maintenance. The value of cars is crazy here. Looking at Volvo C70's that were £40k new for £600. FUCK YEAH! A £200 Primera etc should suit anyone fine but for most people they are too shallow to drive old shit like that. Stupid.

Would still chuck £10k at a Porsche 996 though. How cheap are they? Its probably for a good reason, I know sweet FA about them but fark me thats tempting.

Good luck!

Well, the Daewoo went at £339 in the end - which incidentally was £54 moar than compare the market valued it at...

I agree with the colour condition thing...when Stepdaughter read the ad for the Lanos, she wasn't put off by the fact it's a Daewoo, she was more bothered by the yobbo-walked-over bonnet. :roll:

Never mind, her dad is taking her to have a look at the Rover - but if a Daewoo canm hit £339, she's not gonna nick that for anything less than £400 i wouldn't have thought.

looked on Bumtree - everything within price range is either blantantly fucked, or sans ticket and rent.

The search continues....

Oh, and Billy - none taken, you fackin' monkey. :wink:

Stretching you budget by even a small amount would reap dividends.

Here's a £200 car with tax and test.

DSC00723.jpg

And here's a car with tax and test you could buy tomorrow for £500 :D

2012-06-24192812.jpg

Spending a few extra quid or saving up for another week or two would at least give you the opportunity to drive a better car that would do all that you ask of it.

Probably a stupid point that everybody in the country has thought of already but could the young lady pay the insurance in instalments and devote most of the 500 into vehicle purchase?

Everything seems to point to massive differences in £200 expectations to £500 realities; one or two insurers make a big thing of not charging extra for paying on the drip and if it prevents a multitude of garage bills it might be worth looking into.

I'm afraid I'm going to hijack this thread!! :lol: I have a mate in the same predicament - car died today, needs a car to get to work, has almost no money to spend. So, anybody in Yorkshire know of a runner available at about £200? Or even £300? Long shot I know, but I'm looking at any options!!

I'm afraid I'm going to hijack this thread!! :lol: I have a mate in the same predicament - car died today, needs a car to get to work, has almost no money to spend. So, anybody in Yorkshire know of a runner available at about £200? Or even £300? Long shot I know, but I'm looking at any options!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15781

we currently have sat doing nothing an x plate 60k rover 25 with the start of HGF (oil in water, but oil clean) and not decided what to do with it yet. Its tidier than our everyday shite and will run fun for short journeys but can imagine it not coping too well with motorway mile, but the dilema is itll cost more then the things worth to put right and it has no tax or ticket, but will pass MOT

I might be getting rid of my Pug 205 diesel soon, £500 is a minimum but it's got about 9 months MoT, 3 months tax, 4 new tyres, new battery and is 100% reliable. I take it 400 miles a week and it never misses a beat. It also does 55mpg.

As said, if you up your budget a bit you've got a lot more choice.

As said, if you up your budget a bit you've got a lot more choice.

Ditto with 996 Porkers. Spend 10k, you're taking a chance. Spend 12-15k and get a good one. They're not tolerant of neglect plus abuse. You can thrash the tits off them, but only if you look after them right. The bloke who sold me my Jag took one in as a cash buy. The man who owned the car couldn't really afford it, and it needed quite a bit of work to make it right because Mr Skint hadn't maintained it. Parts can be horribly expensive.

Just what we were all wondering about

I was......

Would still chuck £10k at a Porsche 996 though. How cheap are they? Its probably for a good reason, I know sweet FA about them but fark me thats tempting.

Ditto with 996 Porkers. Spend 10k, you're taking a chance. Spend 12-15k and get a good one. They're not tolerant of neglect plus abuse. You can thrash the tits off them, but only if you look after them right. The bloke who sold me my Jag took one in as a cash buy. The man who owned the car couldn't really afford it, and it needed quite a bit of work to make it right because Mr Skint hadn't maintained it. Parts can be horribly expensive.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15781

Thanks for this link - and sorry for my delayed response. That's a bargain I reckon, but too big, both physically and in terms of cc, for what my mate needs.