E46 3-Series....

Baz

....Specifically the Touring, with the 2-litre diesel....Are they any good? :?

I've tried hard to like the Citroen, but the truth is I don't....Think it'll soon have to go, in favour of something (Still with dog space, and diesel economy) a bit better to drive, before the tedium of it all gets to me, and I like the look of these.

What's all this about "Swirl Flaps"? :shock:

Rusty arches and permanently on ABS lights, not to forget previously mentioned swirl flaps. The saloon ones are decent enough and if the estate is anywhere near the same it'll be a decent car.

They are very nice to drive. Nice interior (avoid silver grey cloth like the plague), steer and handle very well.

There are two variants. The original V-51 plate pre faclift cars had the 136 bhp engine. These were pretty good and I had one almost new. Injection, turbo and other diesel issues weren't bad.....but these are old cars now and most have been to Pluto and back via Uranus. No swirl flaps though and they were the last old fashioned diesel albeit with 16 valves.

The 51 plate onwards facelift cars had 150 bhp, and are frankly a pile of shit. Turbos were far less reliable plus they are more prone to various sensors, injectors, lift pumps etc. The swirl flaps were used for part load emissions and they are well known to come loose and get into a cylinder. I've never heard them rattle, even when they are just hanging on the dear life to the spindles. You can get them removed and replaced with alloy blanks.

Other problems: front arches can bubble and rot (faclift ones can be worse) and so do the rears. Rear wheelbearings, various electrical issues like the tailgate release, broken window regulator cables, rusty brake pipes. Just usual old car shit basically. ABS lights are often caused by a faulty ABS/ASC controller, a pricey fix. The E46 was from the era where all electronic modules and ECU's (plus the instrument cluster) are coded to the car so you can't just swap bits over.

They weren't bad cars but in terms of reliability and longevity, they're not a lot better than a Mondeo or Vectra C. Avoid also the 2 litre petrol 316i and 318i cars from 2001 because they're absolutely plagued with engine problems as well - mainly timing chain, tensioner and valvetronic motors/cams.

Best cheapo Kraut estate? B5 Passat, either 1.9TDi or the 1.8/2.0 pez.

B5? :shock: A Reliant Robin full of cement would be a better bet.

I think one of the faults with the ABS light staying on was down to rear seat passengers inadvertently catching the wire under the front seat with their feet.

The swirl flaps rattle before they get really bad. The rattling is more obvious on the 330d for some reason.

Personally, I don't mind the E46 Touring, but they're not 'all that'. They're small inside and if there's any M stuff on them the ride tends to be pretty dire. They do handle well, and the steering is good on them but they have typical BMW gear shifts - and I really don't like the shift in most BMWs.

Having said that, I'd have a lowish mileage 330d Touring if a good spec one came up for the right money.

The front and rear wings can rot (saloons and coupes can also go just below the bootlid).

The final stage resistor can send the heater fan batshit, its a fidly fix but a cheap part.

I like mine and find the ride to be ok (I used to own an Audi) but they're not big inside and I'd avoid a povvo one like the plague.

If you're happy with the interior space then why not look at a 325d or 330d, they're less likely to have been thrashed as company motors and more likely to be toy'd up.

For what it's worth: I was going to get a BMW weasel estate and after much looking at ones with blown turbos going for silly money & the quite rare ones without the silly light grey interior going for silly money I ascertained they are firmly in council house classic land with the prices artifically high.

Instead a bit of patience and travelling at the drop of a hat got me a top spec 52 plate (03 car)W203 Merc C220 Elegance SE CDI with every option bar Xenons. 1 prev, 147k, FSH 11 months MOT and a no rent. Price £2000.

For that money , in May, I wouldn't have got a leather interior BMW and the turbo could've let go a day later.

There wasn't one advertised as having the turbo replaced, I supposed buy them blown and keep them which worried me as what does it cost to do!

In summary I just thought

BMW: making diesels for 27 minutes.

Mercedes: Been making diesels for eons.

Simple choice.

Didn't BMW once say they'd never make a diesel??

Airbag lights that won't go out are quite common and are to do with the sensor in the seat. Unless it's leather you're better just getting another seat.

The back plates on the rear brakes rot out and this is what the handbrake shoes are mounted onto, which can make for a non functioning or low powered hand brake. All the bits for the brakes are pretty cheap but the back plate is a pita to fit.

To me the e46 and E39 BMW's seem a bit better quality and better put together than the E90;s E90's and E60's that came afterwards.

Swirl flaps rattle when they're knackered. Couple of hundred quid to put right.

Or free: Take out the swirl flap mech, remove the flaps from the shaft, put everything else back on.

I had a E46 320d (briefly). It was orrible. Day Jess from http://www.railwayautospares.com/ tells me that the E46 diesels OM NOM airflow meters and injectors, not too bad for eating turbos.

Airbag lights that won't go out are quite common and are to do with the sensor in the seat. Unless it's leather you're better just getting another seat.

The back plates on the rear brakes rot out and this is what the handbrake shoes are mounted onto, which can make for a non functioning or low powered hand brake. All the bits for the brakes are pretty cheap but the back plate is a pita to fit.

To me the e46 and E39 BMW's seem a bit better quality and better put together than the E90;s E90's and E60's that came afterwards.

The AB light is indeed the occupancy sensor in the seat base, a complete arse to change. One of the better ebay resistors that plugs into to car loom is a better plan. The only way your feet would catch the loom is if the loom was hanging off.

Backplates! I did the the rear shoes on one today. Trouble is, to replace them you have to pull the rear hubs out and that involves driveshafts - bollocks to that. My repair is a long threaded screw with a close fitting washer to hold the springs, through the shoe and backplate with another washer and a pair opf 8mm nuts locked together....which is what I did to this one.

The E90 is better rust protected, and the E90 suffers far less from the E46 lower wishbone balljoints. But they have far more electronics and sensors. A good, well maintained E36 is a better propostion than either.

Never heard swirl flaps rattling but you may hear a light jingling over the general diesel clatter though. The engine will be close to catastrophe at this point. All 150 bhp 320d's have them, manual transmission 330d's do not and neither do X5's.

As for which E46 to buy, a 325i or 330i is the way forward. Driven sensibly they'll piss 30 mpg and do 35-37 on a run.

The 2001 TDi A4 Avants are nice if not a bit dull to drive. Cracking interiors and the 1.9 130bhp tdi I had was quick and never gave me any bother plus I always got 50+mpg.

They seem a little more expensive than the e46's though.

$(KGrHqJ,!n4FCoolBsQKBQ4J())UqQ~~48_80.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/200252-audi-a4-avant-19-tdi-130-se-5-doors-estate/1005872079

I've only driven one E46, a leggy (186k IIRC) 330Ci. It was insane! Felt like it was brand new and had the best stereo I've ever encountered in a car. Incredible bass response. Perfect for pipe organ music.

Went like stink, felt well nailed together and probably drank an embarrassing amount of fuel. I hated myself for months because I really liked it. I even like the styling.

driven one E46, a leggy (186k IIRC) 330Ci.

It was insane!

Went like stink,

I really liked it.

And there you have it.

Its a sports car. A sports saloon, a sports coupe or a sports tourer.

Its got the talkative steering, the rear drive, the tail out attitude and the big six cylinder engine.

HOWEVER, you have to get one of the hot ones.

Much like the MINIs discussed in another thread (£3k for a 10 year old MINI One with interstellar mileage - NO. An r53 Cooper S with leather buckets - YES!), there's no point if you buy the povvo model with the tiny engine and flat vulgalour seats.

An e46 wagon with a four cylinder engine, no toys and soft suspension is going to have a price premium because of the big engined sports models and as the hot ones aren't that much more they represent better value for money.

If you don't want a sports car you can find an (internally) bigger wagon, a better value estate or a more economical cruiser.

7945046484_0f842caae8_n.jpg

Black n Blue by Tayne, on Flickr

I agree with the above 2 comments. I love mine! 330 petrol is the way to go for sure, they aren't bad on fuel , 27 round the doors with my heavy boot, and 36 on a fairly swift A road run, slightly more on the motorway. Mine's a coupe, so I cant help with estate space, but I'll assume it'll drive just as excellently. Parts from BMW are suprisingly reasonable too - you can get BMW 'value line' kits from them for most service items.

598607_10150998859266203_204012184_n.jpg

Mike :)

(Group hug)

The 323SE 4 door E46 I had with the 2.5 engine was great fun to drive. It almost made me understand how BMW drivers get their 'wanker' label as it was actually hard not to drive it 'LAC' most of the time.

I agree with the above 2 comments. I love mine! 330 petrol is the way to go for sure, they aren't bad on fuel , 27 round the doors with my heavy boot, and 36 on a fairly swift A road run, slightly more on the motorway. Mine's a coupe, so I cant help with estate space, but I'll assume it'll drive just as excellently. Parts from BMW are suprisingly reasonable too - you can get BMW 'value line' kits from them for most service items.

598607_10150998859266203_204012184_n.jpg

Mike :)

A pre facelift Clubfoot. Whoever thought that spoiler was a good idea?

What about an Alfa 156? Cheap as chips at the moment, decent interior space, better looking than a BMW and drive really well.

Still got their faults, but nothing any other car of their era doesn't have.

I second this, I have a 156 that cost the sum of £360 to buy with 12 months MOT, a 2.0 petrol saloon mind you so I expect the 2.4JTD sport wagon to be more expensive and it is superb.

To me it is one of those cars that feels 'right', you can't put your finger on exactly why but there is no doubting that it is. Its smooth, quiet, fast and the most comfortable car I have ever driven. In fact, I have had to sleep in it a couple of times and I think the reclined passenger seat may be comfier than my bed. In addition, my suspension may be in need of new drop links which wear out like they are service items and rear arms but I was still able to keep up with a BMW E46 M3 who was gunning it along a twisty A road I know well.

Things to watch for on 156s if you do decide to take the plunge:

1) Clunking front suspension, usually front drop links which are £30 a pair, but can be the ARB which is a PITA to change and cost £100 by itself and runs above the front sub frames which need to be removed. Mine is doing this.

2) Airbag light on, usually the airbag ECU which is a very specific part and can takes ages for the right one to turn up second hand. Mine is doing this.

3) Wipers only work on fast setting. Requires new wiper motor.

4) General sluggishness or odd performance usually due to the Air flow sensor which is expensive, but can often just be taken out and cleaned to fix it. Mine was cleanable thankfully.

5) Timing belts on petrol ones, make sure it has been changed within 36000 miles or 3 years, diesels are much better on this front.

Sorry for the thread hijack but these are such good cars and so cheap, I had to extol their virtues.

I've got an e46 touring 150bhp on an '02 plate. Its in the hands of Mrs Gearoil, done 22k in 2.5 years. Other than servicing & tyres its had a downpipe and accelerator pedal ( yes, really )

DIY servicing is okay.

Boot is on the small side, one rear arch starting to bubble. Other than that it does exactly what is says on the tin.

Would it be unfair to suggest a Mazda 6 :D

I'd also think twice about whether a petrol would be better - potentially less to go wrong but depends on your mileage and the like really.

Not at all. However, rust is a problem with Mazdas - if rust bothers you that is, and if it were cheap and ultra reliable who cares? I think Mazda diesels may be a disaster area though....?