Not seen one of those in ages......

FredTransit

In the Cortina I get that any time I go to a petrol station. It's always the same conversation, word for word.

"You dont see many of those about these days"

Me - agreeing noises

"my (relative) had one of those years ago, it ws a great car"

"isnt it difficult to get spares for?"

Me - Not really, most bits are ok to come by if you know where to look.

Increasingly I'm also getting knocks on the door " I'll take that old motor away from you if you like " "would make a good stock car that" or "would you take £100 for that old cortina? I'll get it out your way"

Pretty much everyone who sees the ZX asks if it's got air suspension, then before I can tell them it hasn't say "I bet that goes wrong alot/costs the earth to fix/it's french, be careful etc/I knew someone who shagged someone who had a BX and it was great/rubbish...

I either put them right if it's friendly banter or just ignore them. I've started too many car arguments in the office recently :roll:

I sometimes get comments from folk who 'knew someone with a Saab turbo' or 'always wanted one of these'. They all seem to think it's faster than a Ferrari, because that's what all the road tests/Top Gear said about it... :lol:

I think that wonderful nugget of oft-quoted mis-information comes from some magazine road test of the full fat turbo T16s which showed it was slightly quicker 50-70 in top due to the OMGturbo!! than some high revving supercar which at that speed is still bogged down at about 2000rpm. :roll:

Positive comments are always nice though, I used to get loads of waves and thumbs-ups when I had my old Amazon. :D

the one that gets said to me alot is " you dont see one of those every day" makes me laugh as they dont usually get the sarcasm when i reply "well i do" :lol: i usually have a chinwag with the people and they go on their merry way happier that theyve seen some old shite

Having a BX i usually get the 'My used to have one of them', yet interestingly i dont think i've ever met someone who has openly admitted to owning one themselves!

Youv'e met me :lol:

My work van has 2 spinny things!

Anyway, on the rare occasions I drive the Cosworth (which I like to kid myself is not shite. It is, its a bloody Sierra, just a fast one) I either get:

"Is it a REAL one?"

or

"My mate/uncle/boss/brother had one, but it had 18 spark plugs and a turbo from the bullet train and had to be limited to 220 MPH because they dont make tyres to handle the power, and he once took on and beat a Ferrari F1 car on the M1 and when he got caught speeding the police let him off because the speed gun only goes up to 200MPH, blah blah blah blah..........."

Yeah, alright mate. Whatever. :roll:

I get lots of people turning their heads and positive comments about my daily driver but I get fed up of explaining to people that my car isn't what they think it is - it doesn't have an ST or RS badge on the back for a start! It's a total one-off, originally built as a show car for Ford / MS Design.

I get comments from Scallies about the Impreza.

S: "What's that mate? It looks like a Subaru"

M:"A Subaru"

S: "Not an Impreza though is it?"

M:"Yes"

S: "Is it a standard one? I've never seen one like it, and it's quiet. They're not normally quiet.".

This isn't a one-off exchange either, happens about twice a month. Normally followed by Scally looking confused at the "i" badge on the front.

I get comments from Scallies about the Impreza.

S: "What's that mate? It looks like a Subaru"

M:"A Subaru"

S: "Not an Impreza though is it?"

M:"Yes"

S: "Is it a standard one? I've never seen one like it, and it's quiet. They're not normally quiet.".

This isn't a one-off exchange either, happens about twice a month. Normally followed by Scally looking confused at the "i" badge on the front.

When I had my last Piazza on the road folk were forever telling me that it was a Scirocco with a body kit and that it couldn't be an Isuzu because they 'don't make cars.' This used to happen more or less every time I went somewhere in it. I used to get approached by a lot of people who had one as a company car or knew someone who had one. There were only 1662 ever imported between 1986 and 1990, so those are quite impressive odds. One bloke thought it was a DeLorean and dragged his wife and kids over to pose with 'the time machine car', despite me telling him repeatedly that it wasn't a DMC-12.