New Dacia Duster spotted

Bobthebeard

Saw one yesterday in Lytham. Looked brand new. Unsure if this has all been said before etc. I had no idea these things actually existed. Was on French number plates ( +Renault dealer sticker). Couldn't take any pics as didnt have time before it beat me through some traffic lights. It looked pretty good IMHO. Are they actually ok??

£5,995 on the road! Not bad for basic motoring and only £1,000 more than I paid for my first brand new Skoda Favorit way back in 1992. Inflation's moved on a bit since then, though....

Tempted, to see what budget motoring feels like again! £5,995 isn't THAT much... Reliability, new car smell, new feel, warranty...

I wonder if you had one of the 1980 Dacias, would they service it?

£5,995 on the road! Not bad for basic motoring and only £1,000 more than I paid for my first brand new Skoda Favorit way back in 1992. Inflation's moved on a bit since then, though....

Tempted, to see what budget motoring feels like again! £5,995 isn't THAT much... Reliability, new car smell, new feel, warranty...

I wonder if you had one of the 1980 Dacias, would they service it?

Sadly I am roughly £5,990 short of the asking price. Ho hum....

I know you give facebook a wide berth Andrew but Dacia have started posting photos of their older cars on there so it looks like they aren't trying to pretend the past never happened completely :)

I had a good nose and prod around one at my local Renault dealers.

It was a top of the range one, leather, side bars and all the shizzle. Its fair to say that it is 100% Renault under the skin, sitting in it was like sitting in a new Clio TBF.

Its brilliant marketing, Renault have dropped models like the Laguna and Modus from the list and are slowly upping the prices of Clios to allow Dacia to be "Tescos" chocolate fingers compared to Renault being "Cadburys" Choccie fingers.

My dealer was taking £100 deposits to get your name on a bloody long list. I think its pretty obvious that they will have to work flat out to build enough RHD models to satisfy demand here. Its a good looking car ( IMO) that will be pretty bullet proof. You can probably spend the same on a second hand better specced Quashqai, which is about the same size, but If you want brand new that nobody else has coughed or farted in then its going to hit the spot.

I was in Paris in October and you couldnt move without tripping over one, auto snobbery aside, that could happen here.

I had a good nose and prod around one at my local Renault dealers.

It was a top of the range one, leather, side bars and all the shizzle. Its fair to say that it is 100% Renault under the skin, sitting in it was like sitting in a new Clio TBF.

Its brilliant marketing, Renault have dropped models like the Laguna and Modus from the list and are slowly upping the prices of Clios to allow Dacia to be "Tescos" chocolate fingers compared to Renault being "Cadburys" Choccie fingers.

My dealer was taking £100 deposits to get your name on a bloody long list. I think its pretty obvious that they will have to work flat out to build enough RHD models to satisfy demand here. Its a good looking car ( IMO) that will be pretty bullet proof. You can probably spend the same on a second hand better specced Quashqai, which is about the same size, but If you want brand new that nobody else has coughed or farted in then its going to hit the spot.

I was in Paris in October and you couldnt move without tripping over one, auto snobbery aside, that could happen here.

I agree 100%. Establish brands such as Citroen and Vauxhall have pretty well had it now unless they match the warranty and value of these emerging makes - Kia, Hyundai and now Dacia will clean up and deserve success. I really do like the Dacia cars - especially at these prices.

VW did it with Skoda, when I brought my Fabia seven years ago , Skoda was still the budget brand, trouble is they got so good at it, the dealers moved from small garages to large corporate glass houses, and the prices are more or less like everyone else. I'm seriously considering a Sandero next year despite what NCAP say it's OMG instant death trap because it hasn't got some traction control crap fitted.

Been discussed here lots before but I reckon they are pretty good.

Considering a 1.6 petrol Duster in white with steel wheels as I reckon poverty spec is probably the most sensible way to go and apart from that I like the plastic bumpers / steel wheels look anyway.

Not available until March but my local dealer reckons to have taken loads of deposits and says there is a minimum three month waiting list!