Sub £1000 MX5. Good/Bad Idea?

warren t claim

I think only the early 1.6's had more power but at that price who cares. I'd have a good look at the sills and all that as it may be terminally rotten hence why it's so cheap. Okay if you just want to bin it after the mot, not so great if you smash it.

Bad news fellas, I've spoken to the seller and it's an 88bhp version. Still worth a punt?

Could be. Depends on what you want from it. If you aren't into performance and just want it for what it is then fine. At the price, resale value won't matter presumably?

Bad news fellas, I've spoken to the seller and it's an 88bhp version. Still worth a punt?

Could be. Depends on what you want from it. If you aren't into performance and just want it for what it is then fine. At the price, resale value won't matter presumably?

Indeed. The only person who can say whether that's enough power is you. A few more gee-gees would be nice though.

Looks clean enough but as has already been said, check very carefully for rust on the sills and arches, these things tend to rust from the inside out so something visibly small may be much worse!

Mileage shouldn't be a worry and it sounds like it's been looked after - not modded either which is a good sign.

Never driven the 88bhp power 1.6 but the 115 feels quick enough for some fun if you rev it and didn't feel that far off my 1.8 in reality. The low power 1.6's are the best for turbo-ing though apparently.

Price is good only if it's in good nick, but you could easily spend the same again sorting rust for the MOT unless you DIY - I'd ask if he'd MOT it then you'd have a years worth of fun ahead and if the worst comes to the worst you'll loose a couple of hundred quid if you punt it on next year.

I had a 115 a number of years ago and it chugged along quite nicely.

I don't think I'd be worried if I had an 88 - it's still going to be good fun and will put a smile on your face.

If it's solid enough, then at that price I wouldn't even worry what engine it had.

I've no idea on the detuning, but I imagine the cheapest way for more speed is just to buy the quicker one in the first place!

I adore MX5s, theyre ace little cars 8) My perfect combination would be a mk1 with a KLDE / KLZE 2.5V6 out an MX6 in it. Not the most straightforward swap, but a little pearler! :D

My 92 Eunos was de-cat'd. Would that make it faster?

I now have a 99 mk 2, not sure on the bhp but its still a quick car.

If you are looking to keep the car go for the one with all the toys you want, they are cheap enough this time of year. Chrome hoops always look nice as do mudflaps - front ones are incredibly expensive to buy.

Sill rot is common, so look for that too.

I love 'em...I wish I could have afforded to keep the Eunos too!